Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Brian

Jan 30, 2011, 6:16 AM

Post #1 of 4 (9542 views)

Shortcut

God helps those who help themselves

Can't Post | Private Reply
For the past three years, a small village in the state of Michoacan has put up a united front against the La Familia cartel which has made repeated efforts to extort the proceeds from the the chair making industry which is it's lifeblood. The government has done it's job "a medias" in protecting the community so it has developed it's own neighborhood watch program which also includes the illegal arming of individual households. The townsfolk agreed to be interviewed because they want the rest of Mexican citizens to know that the fact of the country's high rate of extortion crimes does not have to be accepted without a fight despite the government's impotency to protect it's most vulnerable citizens.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/183320.html

chinagringo

Jan 30, 2011, 6:45 AM

Post #2 of 4 (9524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] God helps those who help themselves

Interesting story Brian. Since we have business interests in Santa Clara del Cobre, we have driven through this crossroads many times. It has been our observation that this particular area is comprised of an interesting mix of people with a somewhat different way of thinking. One person described the general area as the "Appalachia of Mexico" and I don't believe that he meant that in any derogatory way. It is more a state of mind rather than lifestyle. I talk to our contact in Santa Clara del Cobre a couple of times a week. Just the other day we were discussing the recent announcement by La Familia that they were disbanding. While he admitted that they were not sure if they could believe it, he did admit that as of late, there was a definite decline in the number of vehicles without license plates and armed men in the back. He further stated that the demands for protection and other extortion attempts had dropped off dramatically. Santa Clara del Cobre tends to be very cliquish, generally along family or ethnic lines but apparently this "common enemy" has forced them into communicating for the common good.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

wearechange

Feb 2, 2011, 10:45 AM

Post #3 of 4 (9371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] God helps those who help themselves

Interesting story. I have heard that La Familia "asks" for a quota from businesses that deal with illegaly acquired timber. I hope that´s not the case with the woodworkers of Opopeo.

chinagringo

Feb 2, 2011, 11:13 AM

Post #4 of 4 (9359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] God helps those who help themselves

Cannot comment on the woodworkers since my contacts are all in the copper business.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4