Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

La Guedita

Jan 28, 2011, 10:07 AM

Post #1 of 7 (12274 views)

Shortcut

Traveling to La Mira/ Playa Azul

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey all,

I am planning a trip to La Mira in July for the graduation ceremony of my sister-in-law. We will fly into Ixtapa and then rent a car to drive to Michoacan. We will most likely drop the kids off with their dad in La Mira and spend the majority of the 5 days on the beach in Playa. The only travel will be to Arteaga for the graduation.

I have heard some stories about there being an influx of violence in Michoacan and even heard that as recently as Dec, there were gangs that were hijacking buses and burning them on the highway between Guerrero and Mich and that the Feds were closing the highways...

I never felt anything but safe in La Mira when I lived there and when I have visited since. But now even my suegra and my cunadas are scared to go back and are telling me I need to rethink going.

What is the real story about the problems down there? My ex who lives in La Mira/ Los Coyotes says its not any more of a threat than before, but he spends most of his time on the farm.

More information about me and the party I am traveling with: I am American, 29 yrs old, speak mostly fluent Spanish, and have lived in La Mira twice (2000-2001 and 2003-2004). Last time I was in Mich was May 2008. I have an 8 yr girl and a 6 yr boy who are half Mexican. My very white, non Spanish speaking boyfriend will most likely be going with us. We cant afford to fly into Lazaro.

I am looking for straight forward, nonbiased information about the situation so I can make an informed decision as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Amanda
"Self-trust is the first secret to sucess" R. W. Emerson

Vichil

Jan 28, 2011, 2:45 PM

Post #2 of 7 (12248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Guedita] Traveling to La Mira/ Playa Azul

We were in the area two weeks ago ad the worst part of the trip was the boredom on the coastal highway. It was deserted and quiet. So quiet it was spooky.
There were quite a bit of army and police on the highway on the Guerrero Michoacan border but not on the coastal highway. We felt safe in the small villages but there is a difference between feeling safe and being safe. The highway is pretty lonely but otherwise was quiet.
Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa were busy but the rental market was soft so I think that people are not flocking there right now in high season. We had no problems getting a room in Troncones the place was pretty empty as well.

chinagringo

Jan 28, 2011, 5:21 PM

Post #3 of 7 (12229 views)

Shortcut

As I am sure you have read, the coastal area has been the site of a "turf war" amongst the various cartels vying for control of that region. Things have been very nasty in Acapulco but there have been incidents up and down the coast. On 12/31, they apparently arrested the La Familia leader in La Mira according to the following:
http://www.itnsource.com/.../2011/01/01/RTV4311/

The again, these is La Familia's recent announcement that they were disbanding:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...ana-mexico-says.html
There seems to be some concern that this announcement is simply a ploy and may not be real.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Peter

Jan 31, 2011, 11:56 AM

Post #4 of 7 (12146 views)

Shortcut

I make that trip fairly frequently, passing through La Mira for Playa Azul or on to Caleta and Nexpa. I haven't been since the early part of December and that was to Zihuatanejo specifically. The worst of things along there was road construction on the coast highway. They are doing a lot of widening of that highway but it is still rough in places and may be difficult to see ahead until you are right on it. Be careful of that.

Otherwise things mostly appear quiet and business as usual until some incident occurs. It is too hard to predict when something may happen but your chances of getting caught up in it are slim. They happen when they happen, which is not frequent.

I still travel but use caution. Always a good idea, caution.

wearechange

Feb 2, 2011, 10:35 AM

Post #5 of 7 (12061 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Traveling to La Mira/ Playa Azul

Its quiet. Just remember to drive during daylight. Usually the people that have problems are the ones involved in the drug trade.

La Guedita

Feb 20, 2011, 8:43 PM

Post #6 of 7 (11710 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the information. We have decided to go ahead with the trip and I am really looking forward to the week on the beach with an endless supply of Corona and tiritas!!
"Self-trust is the first secret to sucess" R. W. Emerson

beachdreamer

Feb 21, 2011, 8:22 PM

Post #7 of 7 (11628 views)

Shortcut

Re:Just back

We just spent 2 months living at our place on the beach near La Mira(Villa Dorada located in Calabasas-maybe 20 minutes from La Mira). I would judge it safe. The worst thing I saw while there was the robbery of the complete ATM machine located by the plaza one Saturday night. We came upon it as the bank security people were photographing the destruction. We shop in the Sunday market in the La Mira and for the 1st time in years I had people coming up to me surprised that I was actually there. I also observed more young Mexicans who had lived in the states for years and now were living and working in the area(I didn't ask why-maybe due to family needs or job loss in the states or heavier immigration crack downs-not my place to ask). Just remember to use common sense-drive only during the day(it is not fun to hit a burro).

Many Mexicans stayed away from beach resorts during the holidays out of fear. Our development saw a drop in reservations for the Christmas-New Year's holiday.

Enjoy your visit...
An adventure begins with a dream

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4