Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Maritsa

Jan 21, 2011, 9:06 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4582 views)

Shortcut

Confused about tourist visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
I bought a bus ticket to Mexico City, leaving tomorrow from Elizabeth City, NC. I am a little confused with the information I see posted here. I tried to call the embasy in Raleigh but the line is busy.

The information I googled said that if I have a valid passport, I don't need a tourist visa. I will be in Mexico for 2-3 weeks.
Last year, when I called the embassy they told me that I didn't need a visa for under 30 days.

I want to make sure I do this right, because I only have a one way bus ticket, and I may fly back, like I did last time I went.

Any advice?

Maritsa

Reefhound

Jan 21, 2011, 9:14 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maritsa] Confused about tourist visa

I believe you are misunderstanding that. Probably looking at the State Dept. website? You don't need a visa to go to Mexico, which is a documented issued by a host country authorizing your entry, typically used when countries do not have an open entry policy for the other country.

This is not the same thing as the FMM "tourist card", which is not really a "visa" but has often been referred to as such for convenience. You DO need the FMM for any stays within the interior. Absolutely make sure you fill this out at the border crossing.

Maritsa

Jan 21, 2011, 9:33 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Confused about tourist visa

So, from what I have read, I may have to talk to the bus driver and make sure that I get a form at the customs' station, right?
If I decide to fly back, do I then surrender it at the airport?

I am also wondering about my cameras. I believe I can take a digital camera and a video camera without paying, Right?
My finances are really limited so I am trying to make sure I do this right. And the last time I went I had my mexican man with me and he did all of the talking!

I thank you for your help.

Rolly

Jan 21, 2011, 9:37 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maritsa] Confused about tourist visa

Two photographic cameras and one video recorder, and, when appropriate, their power source

Rolly Pirate

Vichil

Jan 21, 2011, 4:01 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Confused about tourist visa

I agree with you, the terminalogy is confusing. It is not a visa but a tourist card, I am not sure I understand the difference but whatever it is called, make sure you do not lose it.
Same deal for me when I go to the State, being from France I do not need a visa but I need to apply ahead of time for a permit from homeland security. I guess the difference is that Mexicans have to pay dearly for their US visa and I get it for free....

Maritsa, check the vivaaerobus .com for your return flight, they have really cheap flight in and out of Tuxtla.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Jan 22, 2011, 5:45 AM)

joaquinx

Jan 21, 2011, 4:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Confused about tourist visa

A visa is any document or stamp in a passport that permits the holder to legally enter the country of issuance.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4