Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Caarina12

Jan 19, 2011, 10:18 AM

Post #1 of 8 (17679 views)

Shortcut

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been active on this board, but it finally looks like my son and I will be in Michoacan for several months this summer. It's been 2 years since I was last there, and I know how quickly things change.

My 8 year old son cannot eat gluten due to his Celiac Disease. (he can't eat wheat, barley, rye-or products made from these grains). Mexico is great because he can eat corn and rice. However, he loves breakfast cereal. I have NO idea what is being sold these days in supermarkets in Mexico. Most cornflakes and rice crispies in the US have barley malt (a no-no on a gluten free diet) Does anyone have any idea on availability of GF cereals? (We just might end up having eggs/veg and corn tortillas for breakfast every morning but that does get old after awhile)

Also was wondering about the availability of dairy free milk alternatives like rice milk. In the recent past, soy milk was pretty widely available (Ades brand), but he's not a fan of soy milk.

Muchisimas gracias!
Caarina

Maesonna

Jan 19, 2011, 11:55 AM

Post #2 of 8 (17670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

I've started to see rice milk and almond milk at the Comercial supermarket, but they are imported and cost around 45 to 50 pesos a litre, around three times the price of Ades soy milk. I haven't seen any domestic non-dairy milks other than soy yet.

mazbook1

Jan 19, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #3 of 8 (17651 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

As far as breakfast cereal goes, get him switched over to atole. This is usually made with corn masa (from the corner tortillería) but can also be made with oats. We always have some (in all sorts of flavors, varieties) in the refri so kids can help themselves (and heat it up in the microwave if they want it hot). It hasn't completely displaced breakfast cereal (darn expensive in México) in our house, but then none of my family suffer from celiac disease.

Atole made with soy milk should be very tasty (or could be with a little care and experimentation), so that might cure your son's aversion to soy milk while avoiding the dangers of commercial breakfast cereal.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 19, 2011, 5:02 PM)

Maesonna

Jan 19, 2011, 4:37 PM

Post #4 of 8 (17638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

That reminds me, another breakfast option besides eggs and tortillas is beans and tortillas. Yum!

Rolly

Jan 19, 2011, 5:08 PM

Post #5 of 8 (17633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

Tacos and gorditas (masa shells) come with many different fillings. At the moment my favorites are a fish taco and a rajas gordita. My usual breakfast is a smoothie of 4 to 6 different fruits with a glob of peanut butter, no milk.

Rolly Pirate

mazbook1

Jan 19, 2011, 6:09 PM

Post #6 of 8 (17626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

Rolly,

Although I do it a little differently than Doña Martha, rajas en crema is one of my great favorites (both to eat and to cook).

With a handful of very thinly sliced filete de res added just a couple of minutes before before adding the cream, it makes a great, quick main dish when served over rice.

I'd be willing to bet that rajas made with soft tofu instead of cream would be a superb side (or main) dish for the OP.

Tip: if you're in a hurry, don't bother to roast and peel the chile poblanos, just cut into thin strips and saute a little before adding the additional ingredients. Neither I nor my Mexican family find the thin little curls of skin objectionable (and it's great roughage).

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 19, 2011, 6:21 PM)

Caarina12

Jan 19, 2011, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 8 (17611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the great ideas. Atole is a wonderful idea... I know that he likes it. (especially champurrado, but what's there not to like?) I guess I'm just not in the habit of making it and keeping it the fridge.

I'm also getting connected with the celiac community in Mexico. (i.e.
http://celiacosdemexico.org.mx) Seems like in the larger cities at least awareness is growing and GF products are becoming available.

As far as the dairy free thing is concerned, we might bring along powdered rice milk since we would only be in Mexico max 2 months. We can always have the fruit flavored Ades (more palatable to him than the plain variety) on hand for road trips/weekends when we won't have a fridge handy.

Blessings,
C

gpkgto

Jan 21, 2011, 9:08 AM

Post #8 of 8 (17573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Caarina12] Gluten Free/Dairy Free Grocery Items

I just left my local Soriana grocery store and was surprised to see three different flavors of Betty Crocker gluten free cake mixes on the shelf.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4