Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Peter

Jan 18, 2011, 12:38 AM

Post #1 of 18 (15132 views)

Shortcut

Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

Can't Post | Private Reply
There are some new things going on with Morelia's 30-year tradition ex-pat group for 2011.

We now get together the 2nd Wednesday of each month at Morelia's Club Campestre at 3pm for 2 hours.

We formalized our name as Morelia Friendships Without Borders, but still use our traditional nickname Amigos.

We now have a virtual Clubhouse on YahooGroups at Morelia_Amigos to let our members:
  • post messages
  • schedule informal get-togethers, card games, etc.
  • invite the other Amigos to join them somewhere for lunch or dinners
  • post photos
  • ask and answer questions
  • and other new options

Our membership has always been open-door and likewise with our online group except restrict online membership to approval to keep out spammers or other annoyances, otherwise everyone is welcome. There are no dues and we do not solicit donations. We operate solely as a social activity.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jan 18, 2011, 12:45 AM)

gpkgto

Jan 18, 2011, 6:49 AM

Post #2 of 18 (15110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

Are Mexicans allowed?

Peter

Jan 18, 2011, 9:56 AM

Post #3 of 18 (15084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

In Reply To
Are Mexicans allowed?

Yes. There are many Mexican members in our Club. There are no membership requirements that I am aware of. In that sense "ex-pat" is a misnomer which merely serves to describe the general nature of a large portion of the membership. Besides ex-pats the membership includes tourists, visitors, immigrants, emigrants, snowbirds, foreign citizens, Mexican citizens, rex-pats, etc. I cannot think of anyone that it would not include.

Although the Club is primarily English-speaking, even language is not a requirement. While Club activities are conducted primarily in English there are non-English-speaking members, most of whom are spouses of English-speaking members who also attend meetings and made new friendships after finding much in common with each other because if their involvement with persons from English-speaking cultures. They engage in activities and conversations with other Club members both in Spanish and English when possible. Many then get together outside of regular Club activities to learn and practice the English language.

I believe the primary reason for formalizing our name as "Friendships Without Borders" is to be more precise while less inclusive nomenclature is in general usage for many to convey a general idea that is inadequate under intense scrutiny. While many are OK with less exacting terminology others insist we be more precise. Although our name change has brought some local discussion along with suggestions that we are deviating or turning our backs on our more more than 30-year tradition, I find I personally can easily abide with and navigate through casual language variances. Our Club most often tends to be quite informal.

(This post was edited by Peter on Jan 18, 2011, 10:02 AM)

wearechange

Jan 20, 2011, 12:15 PM

Post #4 of 18 (14979 views)

Shortcut

Hi!

What is the median age of the members? Just curious... not looking for love. Lol!

Peter

Jan 20, 2011, 5:14 PM

Post #5 of 18 (14945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

Generally the membership is retirement age. Most are in their 60's but the range is 40's through 70's with a few outside of those parameters. I am in my 50's.

Peter

Feb 21, 2011, 6:42 PM

Post #6 of 18 (14313 views)

Shortcut

The response to the Club's Ygroup site was overwhelming, many seemed dissatisfied with some of the local offereings in Morelia. That kind of discussion overwhelms the Ygroup format which is just fine for the club with its interactive calendar and announcement features, but just not fit for the volume of discussion it gets at times. It seemed my duty to introduce yet another site to Morelia with a full-function BBS - http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/ - Its pages are mostly bare still but I expect that won't last too long.

I was hoping some contributers from other sites could drop in and post something on the new board. There are still a lot of virgin forums remaining. This is an announcement for the Michoacán folks and a call to the pioneers to come and conquer the virgin territory. BTW, it is called All-Michoacán Info Group Oracle (AMIGO). I hope it answers the need for a local discussion and info board in Michoacán.

Ric Hoffman

Feb 22, 2011, 8:23 PM

Post #7 of 18 (14235 views)

Shortcut

....many seemed dissatisfied with some of the local offereings in Morelia. That kind of discussion overwhelms the Ygroup format which is just fine for the club with its interactive calendar and announcement features, but just not fit for the volume of discussion it gets at times......

What does the paragraph above mean in plain english? Many, many Yahoo Groups have been started in and around Morelia and the surrounding Lake Patzcuaro area. I can name about eight, just off the top of my head. What does your group have to offer over the ones already in place? What are your your members dissatisfied with on the way of local offerings?

Let's not forget about these forums here at Mexconnect, where almost every aspect of life in Mexico has been addressed and shared.

Peter

Feb 23, 2011, 4:17 AM

Post #8 of 18 (14211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ric Hoffman] Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

In Reply To
....many seemed dissatisfied with some of the local offereings in Morelia. That kind of discussion overwhelms the Ygroup format which is just fine for the club with its interactive calendar and announcement features, but just not fit for the volume of discussion it gets at times......

What does the paragraph above mean in plain english? Many, many Yahoo Groups have been started in and around Morelia and the surrounding Lake Patzcuaro area. I can name about eight, just off the top of my head. What does your group have to offer over the ones already in place? What are your your members dissatisfied with on the way of local offerings?

Let's not forget about these forums here at Mexconnect, where almost every aspect of life in Mexico has been addressed and shared.

Mexconnect has an excellent board and structure. I used to be a frequent poster on this site until a number of my activities took my attention elsewhere.

The site we set-up on Yahoogroups for the FWB club is an excellent tool for that club and will remain our ex-pat club's virtual clubhouse and activity board. However, Y-groups structure, though it is excellent for the single-focus purposes of a club like ours, just is not made to handle the traffic that the Morelia/Pátzcuaro/all of Michoacán is now generating - at least it overwhelms our Club's board.

Though I don't expect the high-volume of traffic that Mexconnect handles nor even the amount of activity generated on the Chapala/Ajijic local area sites, I believe some of the folks in the highland of Michoacán and beyond will welcome the new site. I hope you too will find it useful and invite you to be a contributer there as well. Your input about local activities is most excellent and I thank you for that. Hope to see you there sometime.

(This post was edited by Peter on Feb 23, 2011, 4:40 AM)

Anonimo

Feb 23, 2011, 4:38 AM

Post #9 of 18 (14206 views)

Shortcut

Ric, each board or, especially Y-group has a style or flavor of its own. Sometimes, some of us are wanting a broader choice than plain vanilla, chocolate, or even tutti-frutti. Some groups have a tilt more to the conservative or the liberal side. (I'm not going to specify them here.)

For me, another aspect is that I've never been totally satisfied with the Y-Group interfaces for communication. Ric, we are both aware that each group may config its settings differently. Within one group, the member's form of communication may be muddled, not the least of which is the antiquated Y-Group interface. Think "Internet 1993".

Other groups may be set up less confusingly. A standard web board configuration is, for me at least, much more satisfying to post on. In the future, I'll still post on my two favorite Morelia-Michoacán Y-Groups, as well on Mexconnect, wherever it feels appropriate to me. Choice is good to have.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Peter

Feb 23, 2011, 5:04 AM

Post #10 of 18 (14203 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

For a moment I was reminded of the US Patent Office director's recommendation in the 1800's to close the office because he felt everything of any possible value had already been invented. Likely, though, that is not at all the idea you were wishing to convey.

My own thought on that idea is that this is a living maze we are in and the circumstances and solutions to the riddles of this maze change and we journey through them. Whatever avenues of communications we can put in place only furthers our interests to share these experiences and devise solutions for our dealings. For me that game is interesting in and of itself.

Ric Hoffman

Feb 23, 2011, 10:49 AM

Post #11 of 18 (14161 views)

Shortcut

A simple answer to my question of your statement " ...many seemed dissatisfied with some of the local offereings in Morelia....." would have been appreciated instead of double talk. How difficult is that simple question to answer? How can anyone improve without knowing what is lacking?

Your answer contained "...Y-groups structure, though it is excellent for the single-focus purposes of a club like ours, just is not made to handle the traffic that the Morelia/Pátzcuaro/all of Michoacán is now generating - at least it overwhelms our Club's board..." How does an average of less than four messages a day overwhelm your capabilities?

"...Likely, though, that is not at all the idea you were wishing to convey...." Using your own analogy you wouldn't open a new office but rather continue to add to the exisiting. I was not conveying anything I was trying to determine the need for differnet forum.

I agree with Michael's comments concerning contrasting points of view and different posting atmospheres.

Peter

Feb 23, 2011, 12:11 PM

Post #12 of 18 (14148 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

A simple answer to my question of your statement " ...many seemed dissatisfied with some of the local offereings in Morelia....." would have been appreciated instead of double talk. How difficult is that simple question to answer? How can anyone improve without knowing what is lacking?

Your answer contained "...Y-groups structure, though it is excellent for the single-focus purposes of a club like ours, just is not made to handle the traffic that the Morelia/Pátzcuaro/all of Michoacán is now generating - at least it overwhelms our Club's board..." How does an average of less than four messages a day overwhelm your capabilities?

I thought that a rather straight-forward and simple answer, reading on I can understand your confusion. Ygroups structure is at the base of the issue for me. I am not really, though, understanding the difficulty. Knowing what is lacking?? I think you recognize the difference in a board like this one here on Mexconnect with the function and format of the Ygroup boards. I believe I have stated many times and places online these past few days that I thought the Ygroup service was excellent for our FWB Club, in particular the interactive calendar it is very useful for us to have to announce our informal get-togethers particularly the very informal ones that may happen on the spur of the moment. Having these features has given our Club a real boost in the nearly six weeks we've been using it. Our membership activity has markedly increased.

Its message board activity may average four hits a day, I'll take your word for that, and that includes many days into that average when there ar no hits. On those days nothing is overwhelmed in the least and I am very pleased. Those other days when we have four hits even, then I am concerned. The unsophisticated software of Ygroups is annoying from the start with how it mis-handles accents and diacritical marks, adding a lot of junk characters into the displayed message. It gets worse when a message is replied to, and when there is a reply to the reply it becomes a mess. That is my opinion about it.

"...Likely, though, that is not at all the idea you were wishing to convey...." Using your own analogy you wouldn't open a new office but rather continue to add to the exisiting. I was not conveying anything I was trying to determine the need for differnet forum.

Using your analogy, I not only see a need for some new modern office equipment I was in the mood for new office furniture and a whole new storefront. And as I predicted, I am getting much more than four hits a day in the new location.

I agree with Michael's comments concerning contrasting points of view and different posting atmospheres.

So do I. Although that was a secondary concern it probably helped push me over the top when considering revamping the com channels in Michoacán. I took all that into consideration when I was designing my new superstore. It doesn't bother me in the least if some folks would rather still do all their shopping at the Mom and Pop markets. That's not my call to make.

(This post was edited by Peter on Feb 23, 2011, 12:17 PM)

Ric Hoffman

Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 PM

Post #13 of 18 (14138 views)

Shortcut

Another straightforward answer. Thank you so much for your insight concerning the shortcomings of Yahoo Groups.

I wish you well in your endeavors and I look forward to the information your new forum will provide the community. Based on your past contributions posted here and elsewhere you are fountain of knowledge and your new forum will be one that should be emulated by others, please keep me updated as to your progress.

Peter

Feb 23, 2011, 2:24 PM

Post #14 of 18 (14121 views)

Shortcut

Thank you so much. Ygroups fits the needs well for some types of groups, our FWB club for instance, while others might well be improved by an upgrade. I hope those whom it would benefit will do so when they feel the time is right.

I am not expecting the tremendous traffic that Mexconnect receives, but you having your home in Pátzcuaro I am sure well recognize we have probably the most unique community and richest traditions in all of Mexico. There is certainly a lot to talk about in our state, plenty to tell to the world. I know of no other place I would rather live.

beachdreamer

Feb 23, 2011, 5:51 PM

Post #15 of 18 (14092 views)

Shortcut

Rick,
Could you please list the other Michoacan/Morelia groups so that I can read them.
An adventure begins with a dream

Peter

Feb 23, 2011, 7:28 PM

Post #16 of 18 (14079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachdreamer] Morelia Ex-Pat Club - 2011 Schedule Changes

In Reply To
Rick,
Could you please list the other Michoacan/Morelia groups so that I can read them.

The Yahoogroups that I know of in the area are MoreliaConnect, Michoacán_net, and Morelia_Amigos - all at yahoogroups.com.

I am sure there must be more but these are the ones I know of.

(This post was edited by Peter on Feb 23, 2011, 7:29 PM)

Anonimo

Feb 24, 2011, 4:23 AM

Post #17 of 18 (14033 views)

Shortcut

There is, or was (I haven't looked in for a while) a Paisano44 Ygroup, which dedicated itself to political discussion, both U.S. and Mexico.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Peter

Mar 4, 2011, 11:47 PM

Post #18 of 18 (13704 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I wish you well in your endeavors and I look forward to the information your new forum will provide the community. ...please keep me updated as to your progress.

14 days since starting to build the site and about 12 days since opening AMIGO http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/ to the public there have been 264 post making an average of about 19 - 22 per day depending on which is used as the start date.

There are now 28 registered members and over 50 different topics in forums that are in view for the public and moderated and several other that are restricted to registered members and mostly un-moderated.

Although the site, All-Michoacán Info Group Oracle (AMIGO), is Michoacán-centric and serves area ex-pats and visitors its focus is on living and visiting Mexico in general. There is events information that we hope to expand on but many topics have tended to be more philosophical ponderings about life in Mexico.

There certainly has not been a stampede to join us but for the short time in operation I would call it reasonably successful. I am overall pleased with the content which has mostly been focused on travel within Michoacán and food topics.

Thank you for taking an interest. All are invited to register or may view our public topics and make comments in the Bienvenidos a Todos forum without registering.

Morelia Friendships Without Borders continues to welcome all guests to come to their 2nd Wednesdays, 3pm get-togethers each month at Morelia's Club Campestre near Las Americas off Camelinas and Av Campestre on the patio at the clubhouse restaurant. We also have casual gatherings typically for lunch at various locations during our off-weeks that all are invited to drop-in on. You may learn of our current schedules at Morelia_Amigo on Yahoogroups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/morelia_amigos/ though membership is required for access. The public may view AMIGO at http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/ and leave comment without registering.

Let me add that Morelia's Friendships Without Borders has been experiencing a wave in popularity and activity this year with a steadily increasing membership and participation each month. We are all very pleased with that. There are no dues, no contributions solicited, and all are welcome as guests to our events. Gracias y nos vemos, Amigos!

(This post was edited by Peter on Mar 4, 2011, 11:53 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4