Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

normamc288

Jan 12, 2011, 4:13 PM

Post #1 of 14 (14671 views)

Shortcut

visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think this is mostly a "Rolly" question but will accept answers from anyone. I want to fly down to Cancun and bus to Merida on a one way ticket. Can I do that? I will be heading back to San Antonio March 1 and then back to Merida around March 5. Do I need a round trip ticket? With a 180 day Visa. Thanks to you all for answering me, Norma

Rolly

Jan 12, 2011, 4:19 PM

Post #2 of 14 (14668 views)

Shortcut

Re: [normamc288] visa

México does not ask about your onward travel plans, however, some airline insist that you buy a round trip ticket. That's their rule, not México's.

Rolly Pirate

normamc288

Jan 12, 2011, 4:26 PM

Post #3 of 14 (14660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] visa

Ha, ha, ha, I knew you were there with the answer. Well, why does this particular airline ask you to check rt or one way? I really could buy the rt but am not sure of dates of return. Ah well, do what I can. THANK YOU SO MUCH.............Norma

RickS

Jan 12, 2011, 5:32 PM

Post #4 of 14 (14644 views)

Shortcut

Just last month I flew to Guadalajara (from Denver) on a one-way ticket with Continental. Got 180 days. No questions asked. My wife later flew into PV on a one-way ticket with Frontier. She also got 180 days.

normamc288

Jan 12, 2011, 6:17 PM

Post #5 of 14 (14625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] visa

Hi, I sure do appreciate people taking the time to answer. My visa is good through the 23rd of March, if I read it right. Maybe I better just get a new visa at this time too. Thanks again, appreciate you, Norma

RickS

Jan 12, 2011, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 14 (14623 views)

Shortcut

So Norma, you've got me curious.....

You say your current visa is good until March. I'm assuming you are talking about an FMT. If you are here in Mexico now and fly out, the airline is going to want to take that visa back from you. They will insist. When you fly back into Mexico, you'll get a new one. Am I missing something?

normamc288

Jan 12, 2011, 6:41 PM

Post #7 of 14 (14618 views)

Shortcut

Hey, been living in Mexico, came up here to have cataract surgery in San Antonio, been here two months and cannot stay a minute longer, it is 32 deg. today. SO,,,,,,,,I decided to fly back and they are going to schedule the surgery for Mar 3. Because, like the nurse said, maybe this Fri, maybe in two weeks. They do not know but if you schedule far ahead, well I guess that is good. Anyway, let me make this l o n g story a tad longer. I have the 6 mo. visa, I am in US and pretty sure I can turn in this visa and get one for 180 more OR, maybe just wait and do that in March. I do not like it up here even though all my friends and family are here, gotta go "home." Right now I am not thinking clearly, trying to arrange flights and all but I will use this visa and get a new one in March. I totally love the way all you mexconnect people look out for each other. Norma

DavidHF

Jan 12, 2011, 6:51 PM

Post #8 of 14 (14615 views)

Shortcut

It's an FMM and if you're in the USA the visa you hold is invalid. Throw it way and get a new one when entering. Someone should have taken yours when you left Mexico.

Marlene

Jan 12, 2011, 7:00 PM

Post #9 of 14 (14609 views)

Shortcut

One way tickets have become really common these days, especially for snowbirds or those on business who don't know when they will be ready to head North again.

normamc288

Jan 12, 2011, 7:21 PM

Post #10 of 14 (14598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] visa

Well, I better not throw it away as all is computerized now. But I do this all the time, in Sept. I did it as decided I did not want my car anymore so needed to turn in the papers and while there just redo the Visa, I really don't know all the letters and numbers they use for these things so I just say Visa. But really, I know what your are saying. And maybe I can just throw it but then again, you just never know so I will play it safe. It is still valid till March 20th or something like that. Thanks for writing, Norma

jerezano

Jan 14, 2011, 7:27 AM

Post #11 of 14 (14470 views)

Shortcut

Hello Normac288

If you are the norma who has been living somewhere near La Pesca in Tamaulipas, let me make a few guesses:

1. It sounds as if you were living in Mexico on a Tourist Permit, drove north to the border, stopped there and turned in your car papers, also went to immigration and got a new tourist permit to enter Mexico without turning in your old Tourist Permit (your old tourist permit did not show up on the computer), and then crossed the border into the USA without turning in the new or othe old Tourist Permits, drove on up to San Antonio, sold or left your car there, and then checked with your doctor about the necessity of an operation.

Is this all correct?

2. The doctor wants to schedule an operation but doesn't know when the hospital facilities will be available so must wait until he/she receives notification. When that notification arrives it may be right away or a few days or weeks in the future.

Is this correct?

3. And now the weather in San Antonio is getting to you and you want to take a few days in Cancun while waiting?

Is this correct?

4. You have a Tourist permit (probably two of them) in your hand, one good for 180 days from when you got it as you crossed the border north.

Correct?

5. You want now to fly to Cancun on a one-way ticket and then when you receive notice about the scheduling of the operation you will buy a ticket and fly back?

Correct?

Here is what I think, my opinion only:

1. You can try using the Tourist entry permit you now hold. It just may work. If not then get another. Depending where you are you may or may not have to pay a fine since you were supposed to turn the permit in at the border when you left Mexico. I wouldn't take that chance. I would just ignore the fact that I am holding a kltourist permit in my hand. I would just get another. If everything is computerized, as you worry, then when you apply for the new permit, the old one will show up on the computer and you may or may not have to pay a fine. But I don't think, personally, the old one will show up (your old permit did not show when you got the new one going north). In any case you haven't lost anything.

2. I would buy a round trip airline ticket because of the better fare and just leave the return trip open for a later date. The airlines used to do this with no problem, but so many of them have new and strange rules about electronic tickets that you better check.

Have a good trip. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jan 14, 2011, 7:40 AM)

Reefhound

Jan 14, 2011, 7:43 AM

Post #12 of 14 (14456 views)

Shortcut

Of course don't throw it away because you want to keep all your options open. But keep it out of sight and don't mention it unless immigration officials mention it first.

There was really no need to get the FMM in advance and they don't want you to have it in advance. Perhaps that is why the Mexican consulates will issue you a car permit but will not issue you a FMM. It is presumed that while you have an outstanding valid FMM that you are physically in Mexico.

Furthermore, when you fly into Mexico the FMM is built into the ticket price. You're paying for the FMM whether you need it or not so having a previous valid one saves you nothing, neither time nor money. You'll be handed the forms on the plane just before landing and then go through the immigration line.

normamc288

Jan 14, 2011, 7:47 AM

Post #13 of 14 (14454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] visa

OK, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I think. Really, what I did was bus to Veracruz on my Visa which was an old one from the previous time in Mexico. No one said anything. Left the truck with my daughter. Went up in July or Aug and my friend drove the truck down to Nvo. Laredo. I turned in the papers. At that time I redid my Visa for six months which ends in March. I have been here in San Antonio for 2 months already and it is making me crazy. The surgery coordinator keeps saying "It takes a long time to get the insurance company to okay this procedure." Meanwhile I just sit here day after day and WAIT. So, I am going to fly down to Cancun, bus on over to Merida and visit with this lady about sharing a house in Merida. My house in Catemaco is not free and I do not want to wait till middle of March for a place to live, besides, I hear Merida is wonderful and there is so much to see and do. Now, sir, you are a very funny man and I so much appreciate your writing, you made me laugh., I like the idea of an open ended ticket, did not know you could do that. I will head to the airport later and see what I can find out. I have to come back as March 3 is the final day they could do it, apparently they only have 3 months and then you need to start over. Oh please.....................you know, I am 70 years old and sometimes I just stand here and shake my head at the futility of it all. I am heading out in a minute to the doctor and to the airport although I dread it. Very dark and cold must be at least 30 or 40 degrees. Thank you so much, Norma (yes, I am the same Norma you have helped before)

normamc288

Jan 14, 2011, 7:54 AM

Post #14 of 14 (14448 views)

Shortcut

OK, so I go ahead and fill out papers from airline? Last time I flew to Mexico was in 1986. Can't remember but i am sure it is all changes. Now, I get to airport, have Visa on hand and if they ask I produce the old one? It is still good till March. Do you have any idea of the name of bus station in Merida where I arrive by bus? Is there only one? Thanks for info, I always feel so pampered by the Mexconnect people, Norma

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4