Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

ecollard

Jan 4, 2011, 5:42 AM

Post #1 of 16 (6613 views)

Shortcut

Required education in MX

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been following the thread about how to say "grade" in Mexico. It just occurred to me that there's been no mention of what I believe is required early childhood education for children 3 years old and older (kind of like pre-kindergarten and kindergarten). Are there special words associated with those years of schooling?
Eileen

mevale

Jan 4, 2011, 8:06 AM

Post #2 of 16 (6595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ecollard] Required education in MX

In Reply To
I've been following the thread about how to say "grade" in Mexico. It just occurred to me that there's been no mention of what I believe is required early childhood education for children 3 years old and older (kind of like pre-kindergarten and kindergarten). Are there special words associated with those years of schooling?

I've heard "educación preescolar"
Kindergarten in Mexico is "kinder".

Casa

Jan 4, 2011, 8:39 AM

Post #3 of 16 (6586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ecollard] Required education in MX

Day Care = Guardería (de niños)

Nursery School Staring at about 2 Y/O
Maternal

Pre-school Starting at about 3 Y/O
Kinder / Jardin de Niños / Educación preescolar

mazbook1

Jan 4, 2011, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 16 (6566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Required education in MX

Here is what should be the last word on this subject—the new law on mandatory education in México:

Juventino V. Castro y Castro

Miércoles 8 de diciembre de 2010

…Viene ésto a mi memoria, porque en la Comisión de Puntos Constitucionales, que me honro en presidir en la Cámara de Diputados, se acaba de aprobar un dictamen (que pasó al Pleno de la Cámara, para su discusión y aprobación –en su caso-) mediante el cual se establece hasta dónde llega la obligación del Estado para proporcionar educación gratuita a los jóvenes mexicanos. Sus puntos conclusivos, para reformar el artículo 3º de la Constitución, son los siguientes:
“Artículo 3o. Todo individuo tiene derecho a recibir educación. El Estado –Federación, Estados, Distrito Federal y Municipios– impartirán educación preescolar, primaria, secundaria y media superior. La educación preescolar, la primaria y la secundaria conforman la educación básica; ésta y la media superior serán obligatorias.”

Obviously, the basic education, preescolar, primaria and secundaria are now called educación básica and only preparatoria is called media superior. BUT all are ¡obligatorias! - mandatory.

sioux4noff

Jan 6, 2011, 8:08 PM

Post #5 of 16 (6532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Required education in MX

I am amazed at the few number of public prepas around. There isn't one in our town of about 10,000 people. I'm not sure how Nayarit stacks up on that level of education.
There really aren't enough of any type of school in this area.

La Isla

Jan 6, 2011, 8:33 PM

Post #6 of 16 (6527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Required education in MX

It sounds as though just because a certain level of education is mandatory in Mexico, that doesn't mean that it's always available to children living in every part of the country.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Jan 6, 2011, 8:33 PM)

Casa

Jan 6, 2011, 9:40 PM

Post #7 of 16 (6519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Required education in MX

Well prepa (preparatoria) is not currently compulsory at the national level like secundaria is. Of course a lot depends on the parents but for the most part there are plenty of secudarias around. If there is not a secundaria around then one can also try Telesecundaria http://telesecundaria.dgme.sep.gob.mx/ (a system of distance education programs for secondary and high school students created by the government of Mexico and available in rural areas of the country as well as Central America, South America, Canada and the United States via satellite)

There are also the INEA (Instituto Nacional para la Educación de los Adultos) programmes in every state. The INEA is for people 15 years old and older that for some reason did not have the opportunity to learn to read, write or other basic skills. One can also get a primaria and a secundaria certificate from the institution much like one would get a GED in the US. The classes, testing and materials are provided free of charge by the government (combo fed and state programme).

So although mandatory may have a different connotation that in the US or other countries there are some programmes and opportunities for people to learn if they have the desire and drive.

La Isla

Jan 6, 2011, 9:57 PM

Post #8 of 16 (6515 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the encouraging information, Casa. And it's true that prepa is not yet compulsory all over the country, so while the lack of public prepas in some communities is to be regretted, at least the law is not being flouted in those situations. Last summer while vacationing in Oaxaca, I met an internet teacher buddy from the States who was a summer volunteer with the Telesecundaria program. He told me he was impressed with the dedication and energy of the Mexican teachers he worked with. The INEA programs sounding promising too. I wonder what the average age is of graduates of their programs and how many of them there are each year.

Casa

Jan 6, 2011, 10:20 PM

Post #9 of 16 (6514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Required education in MX

In Reply To
I wonder what the average age is of graduates of their programs and how many of them there are each year.

Some of that information can be found on the INEA website here
My Mexican spouse used to work for INEA. He went to different factories where the employees were given part of the day to attend classes to obtain their certificates. He said that there are all kinds of students raging from 15 to all the way up to their 60s and beyond. One very elderly woman was in the classes because she said she never had the chance to go to school because of work and raising children and she wanted to set an example for he grandchildren to stay in school. He says the key is keeping the students motivated so that they do not give up and quit before they get their certificate.

La Isla

Jan 7, 2011, 8:29 AM

Post #10 of 16 (6497 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I wonder what the average age is of graduates of their programs and how many of them there are each year.

Some of that information can be found on the INEA website here
My Mexican spouse used to work for INEA. He went to different factories where the employees were given part of the day to attend classes to obtain their certificates. He said that there are all kinds of students raging from 15 to all the way up to their 60s and beyond. One very elderly woman was in the classes because she said she never had the chance to go to school because of work and raising children and she wanted to set an example for he grandchildren to stay in school. He says the key is keeping the students motivated so that they do not give up and quit before they get their certificate.

Very inspiring story, the one about the elderly lady who went to school to be an example for her grandchildren, the kind of story Ophrah would have liked to feature on her TV show.

sioux4noff

Jan 7, 2011, 11:17 AM

Post #11 of 16 (6484 views)

Shortcut

I have several friends who completed secondary, but did not attend prepa for one reason or another. Hopefully, as prepa education is becoming mandatory, a program like the INEA one mentioned, will become available for prepa level.
One of the friends wants to be a policeman (boggles my mind, but he does), but prepa is now obligatory to become a police officer and he didn't finish his prepa. And he can't afford to attend one of the programs that he can obtain his prepa in xx months becuaseof his current job schedule, and low salary.

mexicobuff

Jan 7, 2011, 12:01 PM

Post #12 of 16 (6476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Required education in MX

Education through secundaria may well be mandatory, but who enforces the law? I know any number of young people who have dropped out of school after finishing primaria. No one--except possibly their parents--cares. Just because there is a law on the books does not mean that it will be enforced.

Casa

Jan 7, 2011, 12:09 PM

Post #13 of 16 (6474 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
he can't afford to attend one of the programs that he can obtain his prepa in xx months becuaseof his current job schedule, and low salary.

Well one option your friends have is the Preparatoria Abierta (Open Highschool). This once again is a federal program that is offered in conjunction with the SEP (secretaría de educación publica) and the states. Programs are available in every state in the republic. See a listing of the office in your state here.

Here is the online version of Prepa Abierta

Google translate version of what Prepa Abierta is (from Wikipedia) The complete article can be found here

Growth in demand has not only been due to non-school mode (study at home and online not in a classroom), but also to their relatively low cost and accessible to any Mexican citizen, has helped the growth of enrollment, not only is used by workers if but also by young students of all ages.

The contribution of this educational model is invaluable; it has become an alternative tool for those seeking their development. The ease with which they can buy study materials also evolved, there are two main types:

The study material in books published officially by the Ministry of Education of Mexico, which can be found and easily purchased in any bookstore. Example: [1]

The study material published by individuals and schools built. With prices and digital formats such as the following example: [2]

The accessibility of materials, low cost, no age limit, converted to Open High School in an alternative and efficient way to increase school attendance in Mexico.

So like I said in an earlier post, There are some Programmes and opportunities for people to learn if they have the desire and drive.

sioux4noff

Jan 7, 2011, 3:05 PM

Post #14 of 16 (6459 views)

Shortcut

Casa, thanks a lot! I am sure he doesn't know of that program. We'll try to find out about what is available here in Nayarit!

tonyburton

Jan 9, 2011, 8:49 AM

Post #15 of 16 (6418 views)

Shortcut

According to the President, primary education now has the capacity to reach 100% of the country (population of school age), though quality is deficient in some places, "educación medio superior" has increased in coverage during this administration from 46% to 66%, and "educación superior" has increased from 24% in 2006 and should reach 30% in 2012.

México alcalzó cobertura total en primaria: FCH

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jan 9, 2011, 8:49 AM)

Caarina12

Feb 19, 2011, 10:39 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6184 views)

Shortcut

Casa,
This posting made my day. Although internet access in some communities is limited, it gives me hope that those who want an education can get it, even if Prepas are not available in their hometowns. It seems that the only limitation is internet access and money to pay for that access. It's a step in the right direction.

C

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4