Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

grammaz

Dec 31, 2010, 2:09 PM

Post #1 of 20 (9447 views)

Shortcut

Heads Up - Theft

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just a heads up for all the ladies. This morning my wallet was stolen out of my purse at the Mega in Nuevo Vallarta. Yes, it was my fault, I had an open purse in the child seat and undoubtedly turned my back away as I was shopping. Within an hour, before I could cancel them, they had racked up over $1,000 at WalMart. With all the traffic on 200 they did pretty good getting to Walmart and doing that in such a short period of time. Someone has a new computer or camera. We travelled down here with money belts and no cards on us other than necessary but I let stupidty let this happen. Other than the inconvenience of no credit cards until we have them couriered to us and undoubedly the threat of identity theft as my FM3, copy of my passport and driver's licence where also there, to have this happen on the last day of the year really sucks. Just a heads up to all the ladies, keep your purses around your body or at least zipped up. We have travelled here numerous years and this is our first encounter. Definitely a wake up call. If I can stop it from happening to anyone else that is all I care about.

BarboBlanco

Jan 1, 2011, 7:52 AM

Post #2 of 20 (9364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grammaz] Heads Up - Theft

It's dismaying to read of such a theft, grammaz; my condolences to you, indeed. If they were starving and bought food, I could almost understand it. Buying toys is another matter. One wonders if the local authorities can track down the banditos, eh?
Paz esta' en la corazon, los ojos del Espiritu Sanctu.

JRinPV

Jan 1, 2011, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 20 (9345 views)

Shortcut

This happens every year during holiday time, Xmas and Easter, the 'ladrones' come into town. Loads of tourists, both gringo and national, easy pickings.
Always stay more aware during these times.

DavidHF

Jan 1, 2011, 12:53 PM

Post #4 of 20 (9311 views)

Shortcut

Be sure to report the theft of your FM-3 to the Ministerio Publico. I understand that is a requirement in order to get a new on (or a replacement, not sure which).

grammaz

Jan 1, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #5 of 20 (9308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Heads Up - Theft

Yes,David, I am going to do that as soon as the office opens after the holidays. Do know how hard it is to get a replacement? I just got it a couple of weeks ago and have extra photos. I am assuming I will have to pay something to get it replaced but because I have all the recent paperwork I am hoping I don't have to start all over again. Besides the fact that I can't leave the country without it as I no longer have my original entrance visa. Leaving isn't in the plan until April but you never know when an emergency could come up. I want to file a police report but can't find out where the police station is in Bucerias. Does anyone know? Thanks so much.

Rolly

Jan 1, 2011, 3:38 PM

Post #6 of 20 (9277 views)

Shortcut

A taxi driver will know.

Rolly Pirate

Camille

Jan 1, 2011, 6:43 PM

Post #7 of 20 (9242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Heads Up - Theft

Just replaced my stolen FM3 in Bucerias at no charge.

Casa

Jan 1, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #8 of 20 (9243 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Do know how hard it is to get a replacement?

A friend of mine had to have a stolen FM3 replaced. If you have a copy of the original it will make things a bit easier. He had to have the rectificada version of the police report, pay and provide all documents over again just like when he applied the first time. This was before the “reform” when cards began being issued. Who knows how it will be now at your regional INM office.
If they also got your passport you will need a new one before you can request a new FM3.

I prefer to carry a copy of my Documento Migratorio and keep the original in a safe place (unless I know I will be needing it for something specific)

grammaz

Jan 1, 2011, 6:54 PM

Post #9 of 20 (9238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Heads Up - Theft

No, unfortunately I didn't make a copy. And it is the new format with the plastic card. I only was carrying a copy of my passport so that is not a problem. I will file a police report tomorrow or next day and take everything in next week and hopefully I will not have to pay all the fees again. What will be, will be, price I have to pay for my stupidity. BTW what is the rectificada version of the police report?

Flaekingur

Jan 1, 2011, 9:38 PM

Post #10 of 20 (9213 views)

Shortcut

Sad to hear about this, but I would just like to remind every one that this is not something common only to Mexico. I've lost count of the number of times I see women (incluida mi esposa), in a store with their purse in the shopping cart, just inviting someone to reach in and take a wallet or the whole purse. I see it everyday in Wal-Mart or Safeway, their purse in the cart and their back turned to it while they look at something on a shelf.
The smartest thing you did Grammaz was to carry only a copy of your passport. I carry only copies of all my documents, Passport, FMT, Vehicle permit, insurance and drivers licence. The actual documents are kept in a safe place.
Another thing I do is to keep a list of all my "Stealable" items, cameras, lenses, laptop, vehicle etc. and all their serial numbers. Years ago some kids broke into my Van on the street in La Paz, in broad daylight and managed to take a camera before the alarm went off. They were soon caught but I had to prove to the police that the camera was mine. I took out my list, read off the make, model, serial number and lens serial number. They looked at the camera and it was turned over to me immediately.
How many of you know the serial (VIN) of your vehicle or even the license number. If your vehicle is stolen, how are you going to report it to the police?
Another idea is to send yourself an e-mail with all these numbers then archive it and you should be able to access the info from any computer.
Be careful out there.
Al

Casa

Jan 1, 2011, 11:17 PM

Post #11 of 20 (9199 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
BTW what is the rectificada version of the police report?

This is usually the version that is typed or computer generated and will have a file number that has been enter into the "system", as opposed to a hand written report. INM would not accept the hand written version of the police report from my friend. They required the rectificada version. YMMV

grammaz

Jan 2, 2011, 5:40 AM

Post #12 of 20 (9178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Heads Up - Theft

Thanks Al, excellent ideas. And definitely this isn't a situation unique to anywhere in the world. Until you have been burned we don't seem to pay attention. You can never be too careful. Certainly a wake up call for us. I will let you all know how I make out at the INM office next week so if anyone has to replace their FM3 you will know what to expect.

DavidHF

Jan 2, 2011, 6:58 AM

Post #13 of 20 (9167 views)

Shortcut

I believe it is not a "police report" your need, rather a copy of the report you file with "Ministerio Publico." That is where you report a crime not at the police station.

sioux4noff

Jan 2, 2011, 11:00 AM

Post #14 of 20 (9120 views)

Shortcut

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. The Ministerio Publico office in Bucerias is located on the south bound lateral of Hwy 200, just south of the arroyo, which is just south of centro Bucerias. The office is on the 2nd floor.
There is a immigration office in Bucerias, also. It is on Av Las Palmas, which is the road which goes to the Decameron Hotel.
I live in Bucerias and of there is any way I can help you, please send me a note.

A very cautious friend of mine had her wallet stolen out of her zipped purse at Soriana near the cruise ship dock in Vallarta last month. With 40 minutes, numerous charges had been made on both her credit and debit cards. She says her purse was zipped the entire time she was in the store, and the thief apparently re-zipped it after grabbing her wallet. She says she doesn't recall anyone being that close to her or her cart, and she never leaves the purse in the cart to go down the aisle. She said it had to have happened in that short span while you turn away from the cart to take an item from the shelve. I believe her as she is one of the most cautious (as well as most honest) people I know.
Within a week, someone found her wallet and she got it back. Minus the cash and cards, but got her drivers licenses and other IDs back.

grammaz

Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 PM

Post #15 of 20 (9099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Heads Up - Theft

Thank you for your words of support. I am usually very cautious as well and on this occasion whenever I left the cart I took my purse with me but when I was distracted they got me. I did find the Ministerio Publico but it wasn't open today so will try again tomorrow. The INM office has been closed for the holidays and I'm not sure when it will reopen but will try and get this all settled this week.

Camille

Jan 2, 2011, 3:20 PM

Post #16 of 20 (9071 views)

Shortcut

INM reopens tomorrow. Suerte!

grammaz

Jan 2, 2011, 3:33 PM

Post #17 of 20 (9069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Heads Up - Theft

Gotta love all you guys. Thanks so much for all the support and helpful information.

grammaz

Jan 6, 2011, 6:10 PM

Post #18 of 20 (8840 views)

Shortcut

Just to let you know the latest on getting a stolen FM3 replaced. My Spanish speaking friend accompanied me on Tuesday morning to the Ministerio Publico. He first asked me for three copies of my passport. I only had one so he said that would have to do. He then returned it to me at the end so I've no idea why he wanted three.
It took an hour and a half to file the report, it was three pages long, we both were fingerprinted, they wanted to know in detail my history, everything that was stolen etc. Very, very detailed. The report is on the computer from the last person and they just change the names and add new details. Fluent Spanish is absolutely required at the office in Bucerias.

We then went back to the INM office where once my number was called it took about 20 minutes. Next week I will check on line and see if it is ready for pickup. Hopefully that is the end of the story. No additional cost, just my time and a good friend who helped me out. Fortunately I had extra pictures from the first application so didn't have to get new ones done.

sioux4noff

Jan 6, 2011, 8:00 PM

Post #19 of 20 (8823 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad to hear that things went well for you.

carltmon

Mar 3, 2011, 8:56 PM

Post #20 of 20 (7871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Heads Up - Theft

Seems the time spent wondering about it could have been spent better.

carltmon

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4