Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tanya

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4621 views)

Shortcut

Hot Sauce

Can't Post |

Help!! I need a red hot sauce recipe. Not necessarily hot, but flavorful. I am looking for the kind they serve in taco shops.

Iguana

Post #2 of 5 (4620 views)

Shortcut

Hot Sauce

Can't Post |

I didn't know if you wanted RED hot sauce to be a red chile sauce (like Tabasco) or a RED hot sauce that's a tomato based salsa. These are tomato based recipes. I have a really good recipe for a mild New Mexico Red Chile Salsa that I make that requires a bit of preparation. E-mail me if you want that recipe.

Easy Quick Hot Sauce (fairly mild)

1 can Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilies (pick your heat level)
3-4 fresh jalapenos seeded and deveined (leave in veins for extra heat)
1/2 white or yellow onion
1-2 cloves garlic crushed
1 T fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
salt to taste

Blend all in a blender or food processor to your liking, can pulse it for a chunkier salsa or blend smooth for a fairly liquid salsa that's good for tacos.

OR

Fresh Salsa on the Wild Side (my favorite)

3-4 Ripe Roma Tomatoes seeded (keeps it from getting as watery)
1/2 white or yellow onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 jalapenos seeded
4 serrano peppers stems removed
2 T. fresh cilantro leaves (or more depending on mood)
juice of one lime or 1/2 lemon
dash lemon pepper
salt to taste

Blend all in a food processor, pulsating to keep it chunky. Sometimes I add 3-4 chopped roasted peeled and seeded NM Green Chilies after I've processed the rest so that they don't get too pulverized. Gives it a fuller flavor. Yummy with chips.

Denis

Post #3 of 5 (4620 views)

Shortcut

Hot Sauce

Can't Post |

Did you try this one, posted by Bob Brent some time ago on this very forum? It looks pretty hot, all right. If you're in the USA you can also order literally thousands of varieties of hot sauce from www.peppers.com.

Steve

Post #4 of 5 (4620 views)

Shortcut

Hot Sauce

Can't Post |

Taco Shops have lots of hot sauces.

But maybe you mean a Pico de Gayo type. I'm not going to give an exact recipe, rather a general rule. When I was in Durango we made this every morning. It is a fresh salsa and means beak of the rooster - referring to it's spiciness (or so some say).

1-3 fresh tomatoes chopped - use good tasting ones!
a few Serrano chiles (or Jalapenos)
minced onion
finely minced garlic (optional)
Chopped cilantro
Juice of a lime or so
salt to taste

Add all together changing proportions to your taste. This is best after sitting for about an hour, but before a couple days (refridgerated).

Another option to make a semi cooked, but more complicated salsa is to leave all the vegetable whole and roast them first (not the lime or Cilantro). Roast in a heavy cast iron pan, on a comal, or on a barbeque. You want to char the outside, but not completely cook the vegetables. Then remove the peels of the tomatoes and chiles that come away easily (some roasted peel is actually nice) Then remove seeds if desired. I then put the roasted garlic, onion, chiles, and tomatoes all in the blender with the cilantro,lime and salt and blend till it is the desired consistancy. Voila. This keeps longer. Substitute wine vinegar for the lime juice and be liberal with it and the salt and it will keep even longer refridgerated.

stacy

Post #5 of 5 (4621 views)

Shortcut

Hot Sauce

Can't Post |

well this is a reciepe they use in the taco shops so hopefully it helps.....

1 lb. Tamatillos
4 cloves garlic
6 serrano chiles
1 onion (white or yellow doesnt matter)
15 chile de arbol ( they usually come in package in grocery stores)

peel and clean tamatillos and onion cut onion into 4 pieces, peel garlic cloves slightly mash, take stems off serrano chiles, add all to pot and boil until tamatillos are soft and onion looks clear.

take stems off the chile de arbol and roast ( or put in frying pan) roast until slightly brown. NOTE::: you have to consitantly move chiles so they dont burn. ( doesnt take long)

strain onion tamatillos garlic and serrano chile put all ingredients (including the chile de arbol) in blender....add salt to taste.

this hot sauce is hot but you can make it more mild with less serrano chiles and chile de arbol....but it taste great.

hope you enjoy it!!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4