Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

RickS

Dec 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

Post #1 of 8 (8660 views)

Shortcut

Budget Hotel in Bucerias?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Looking for a clean budget hotel in Bucerias area for an over-nighter. Any suggestions?

roostershooter

Dec 16, 2010, 9:13 AM

Post #2 of 8 (8602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Budget Hotel in Bucerias?

Hotel Palmeras on Lazaro Cardenas.

sioux4noff

Dec 17, 2010, 5:51 PM

Post #3 of 8 (8549 views)

Shortcut

The ZAR Hotel is just south of Bucerias, on Highway 200. If you just need a hotel for the night, it is not near the beach but is inexpensive and new.
In town, Casa Tranquila is nice.

alan armstrong

Dec 26, 2010, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 8 (8382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Budget Hotel in Bucerias?

Roll back the clock a few years...check into the Hotel Las Vegas, $1.66/day.
Yep, $50.00/mon.
I did say 'a few years'.
(how about 25 years)

RickS

Dec 27, 2010, 11:52 AM

Post #5 of 8 (8314 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tip, Sue. I did end up staying there. But I did have an 'only in Mexico' experience (as will anyone who stays at this particular Zar!).

It is fairly new and right on Hiway 200 going north out of PV just before Bucerias as sioux4noff said. BUT, "you can't get there from here". There is NO exit capability off of 200, not before you get to it, not right at it, not right after it!!! Their front 'driveway' ends abruptly in a ditch down below the highway grade.

So how does one get to it? Well, if you know you are coming up on it, you can pull off of 200 onto the dirt in front of some construction businesses; then make your way down the dirt/ditch for 100 yards until you get to their paved entrace-way. This is not road, it is just a dirt track in the ditch where cars have had to go. If you pass the Zar up on 200, someone has broken the 6-inch curbs away from the right edge of the roadway about 50 yards pass their entry. Then you can come back up the dirt/ditch and turn into their driveway. This is how I did it. But remember that 200 is a VERY busy and fast moving highway so it was actually very unsafe when I did it! There is no shoulder when you turn off, just the busted curb on the right lane.

After I had checked in (after I had bargained with the manager as he at first wanted waaaay to much to stay in a hotel that 1) had no entrance and 2) had no other cars but mine in the parking lot!) I asked him about the lack of an entrace... saying 'when do you think they will finish the driveway'? And he says.....this is another of the 'only in Mexico parts... maybe in a year or two!!! I asked him did it not keep anyone much from staying there, he said, 'yes, of course' but what can I do?

sioux4noff

Dec 27, 2010, 3:16 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8289 views)

Shortcut

Yeah, my husband commented that I had forgotten to tell you about that little detail. I actually couldn't think of how to describe to you how to get there, without sounding like a crazy lady.
How much did you end up paying? And was the hotel OK - other than inaccessible?
We went over there last week and looked around. The place looks nice, even has a pool. The desk clerk showed us a room which looked more than adequate. They had numerous permit / land ownership problems which kept them proceeding with construction and then from opening for quite a while after it was built. I suspect are why they haven't been able to make a decent entrance yet. Waiting for the next municipal administration.

RickS

Dec 27, 2010, 7:52 PM

Post #7 of 8 (8260 views)

Shortcut

Keep in mind that this was Monday of Xmas week so definitely 'high season'.

He started off saying the room was 770 pesos. I said no way; he said he could go down to 700 pesos. I said no and started to walk away. He says 'what rate are you looking for' and I said 600 pesos. He frowned, I began to walk away and he said OK.

The room was very OK. Queen bed fairly comfortable; TV of course, pretty much Mexican; and Internet 'in the lobby' but got it OK in my room as it faced the lobby. I had a decent breakfast (not included) that was a bread dish covered in cheese with some fruit also; coffee and toast. 45 pesos. A more full breakfast was, I believe, 65 pesos.

I don't really see how they will be able to survive for another year with no resolution to the entrance problem. There were probably 4-5 cars there the next morning when I got up.

P.S. Just remembered that the next morning the staff had a big sign/banner spread out on the front walk-way that I figured they would hang from the front. I could see that it was probably a 'promotion' sign that was going to offer a room for 590 pesos. Don't know when or for how long.

Mexberry

Jan 4, 2011, 7:07 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8087 views)

Shortcut

Hotel Palmeras, Lazero Cardenas. Good , clean reasonably priced. Great staff- we have stayed there 2x these past 3 months.
Mexberry.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4