Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

kmetzger

Dec 14, 2010, 11:25 AM

Post #1 of 8 (7193 views)

Shortcut

C-band TV - what's going on?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all - my trusty TV tech just notified me that as of January next year, I'll no longer be able to get most of my C-band channels, which he arranged "informally" for me via his local Guadalajara provider. I switched to my current arrangement from NPS because they couldn't give me the networks (CBS, NBC, etc.). But I just looked them up and here's what I found:
NPS is discontinuing all C-band programming on 26 Dec 2010.
http://www.callnps.com/Does anyone know anything about this? Any suggestions for the next move?

Kim

johninajijic

Dec 17, 2010, 7:24 AM

Post #2 of 8 (7143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] C-band TV - what's going on?

Hello,
I just dumped my C Band system in November after 9 years of service thru Mike Merryman of Satellite Systems in Ajijic. Mike told me they probably wouldn't be operating next year because the companies that are involved broadcasting the signals had too few customers left and they were not interested in broadcasting anymore because it was too expensive for them. We had one of the large packages plus ALL the Movie Channels. First we lost Showtime back in September or October, then we lost other channels and finally they took away all the cable news channels FOX, CNN, MSNBC etc etc. That did it, we had had enough after they took away the news channels. You never knew what you would lose next from day to day.

We switched to DISH Network. It has fewer channels of EVERYTHING. On C Band we had 12 HBO'S, 12 Showtimes, 12 Starz, TMC, Cinemax, two HGTV's, two Food Channels. On DISH we have 6 HBO'S, 5 Showtimes, 4 or 5 Starz, Cinemax, one HGTV and one Food Channel. DISH Network programming costs as much as C Band and the picture quality is not as good even with the 8 foot dish. It's a ripoff. We have a 57" Sony TV, so you may not notice the difference in clarity on a smaller set.

They took our old C Band dish away to the junkyard and we thre the receiver in the trash.

John

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Dec 17, 2010, 7:31 AM)

kmetzger

Dec 17, 2010, 7:58 AM

Post #3 of 8 (7131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] C-band TV - what's going on?

Thanks a lot, John. Looks like C-band is a thing of the past. I'll have to look into DISH.

DavidHF

Dec 17, 2010, 10:37 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7119 views)

Shortcut

Checkout ShawDirect formerly StarChoice.

johanson / Moderator

Dec 17, 2010, 6:17 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7101 views)

Shortcut

Folks, C band is not a thing of the past. Some satellite dealers are distributing false information, and I am not sure why. It's been common knowledge amongst the experts that some of the programmers are giving up selling programming for C band, but that C band is not dead. Here is a post I made above in the Chapala forum. I was answering John's post

Sorry you chose to give up your C band.

Because I am not actively involved in the Satellite business, I only learned about two months ago that programming for C band will still be offered in 2011. I understand it's been common knowledge for more than a half a year. Take a look at http://www.skyvision.com/pages/dsr410.html . You will see that as of now what will be offered on C band is not that much but there is negotiating going on in the background. We should be able to get even more of the programming back early next year.

Oh and you don't need the new DSR410 receiver to get those programs. You will be able to use your 922 and I think 920 4DTV to get the many channels left on C band too.

Shown below is just the "C band Movie Pack" there are many other packages available on C Band in year 2011

HBO E ∙ HBO W
∙ HBO2 E ∙ HBO 3 Signature E
∙ HBO Comedy E ∙ HBO Family E ∙ HBO Family W
∙ HBO Zone E ∙ Cinemax E ∙ Cinemax W ∙ Action Max E
∙ More Max E ∙ More Max W ∙ Thriller Max E ∙ Showtime Family E
∙ Showtime Next E
∙ Showtime Showcase E ∙ Showtime
Showcase W ∙ Showtime Women E ∙ Showtime Extreme E
∙ Showtime Extreme W ∙ Showtime E ∙ Showtime W
∙ Showtime Too E ∙ TMC E ∙ TMC XTRA E ∙ TMC XTRA W
∙ FLIX E ∙ Sundance W ∙ Starz E ∙ Starz W
∙ Starz Cinema E
∙ Starz Comedy E ∙ Starz Edge E ∙ Starz in Black E
∙ Starz Kids & Family E ∙ Encore Action E ∙ Encore Action W
∙ Encore Drama E ∙ Encore Drama W ∙ Encore E
∙ Encore W ∙ Encore Love E ∙ Encore Mystery E
∙ Encore WAM E ∙ Encore Westerns E ∙ MOVIEplex E

$57.75 Month $165.00 Quarter $627.00 Annual

redevil66

Jan 10, 2011, 8:45 AM

Post #6 of 8 (6960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] C-band TV - what's going on?

Yes, you can have your C band programming on sat W5 without any problem. In fact, if you have an old 4DTV you can converted it into a DSR420.

Just follow the procedure and you will be ok

johanson / Moderator

Jan 10, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [redevil66] C-band TV - what's going on?

Next weeks "Tech Talk" article in the Guadalajara Reporter will go into detail on the above subject. It's too bad folks were mislead to believe that there was no more C-band programming.

Be careful when reprogramming your older receiver. There are two ways, one of which takes away the ability to move your satellite dish from satellite to satellite. Go to www.skyvision.com for more details or wait for next weeks article.

redevil66

Jan 10, 2011, 9:09 AM

Post #8 of 8 (6941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] C-band TV - what's going on?

Just read this repot and you will be ok. The main problem is because NPS will not longer want to sale programming for C band users.

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/4dtv/index.html

In fact if you have suscripcion available you can use it right now with te conversion procedure.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4