Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

kimi

Dec 11, 2010, 7:20 AM

Post #1 of 9 (14577 views)

Shortcut

move to veracruz?

Can't Post | Private Reply
am thinking of moving to veracruz. presently live in La Paz. am 58, retired on small fixed income under $700/mo.USD. my furnished one BR apartment here is under $400/mo.USD and with elect./gas/cable runs about $450 total. can this be done in safe, quiet area in or around veracruz? thanks, kim

joaquinx

Dec 11, 2010, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 9 (14566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimi] move to veracruz?

I don't know much about Baja California Sur, but don't you need to show an income of at least 1,200 usd per month to qualify for an FM3 type visa for long term residence?

You might contact the author of this blog: http://www.inveracruz.com/ for more information or
http://mexico.inmobiliaria.com/...acruz-Z22015T8R1.htm for information on apartments.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

db52

Dec 11, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #3 of 9 (14535 views)

Shortcut

I'm currently passing through Xico, Veracruz, near Xalapa. A (Mexican) fellow here told me he was renting a nice house for eighty dollars a month. The guy speaks perfect english and lived for years in California, so I suspect his standard of what is a 'nice' house is pretty close to what you or I would think is nice. Cost of living seems quite reasonable here. Tortillas are seven pesos per kilo.

dongringo_catemaco

Dec 11, 2010, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 9 (14493 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] move to veracruz?

Considering that 700 US is about twice what the majority of people in Veracruz earn per month, I imagine you could survive ok without any US tastes. Your variable will be housing expense, which most bottom earners of Veracruz do not have. Yes, you can rent something totally unfurnished for a 1000 pesos. Maybe something almost nice in the outbacks, or something very basic in the suburbs of a larger city.

You will probably happily be subsizided by Mexico in your electricity cost, and enjoy tortillas at 4 pesos per pound if there is a Walmart nearby or twice as much if there is not. You can probably afford a maid one day a week.

If you have American tastes, you will probably starve.

Unless you forge your income to be about US 1200 per month, your costs need to include a trip to the US every six months. If you get seriously ill, the Mexican health care system will probably subsidize your dying for a while, but not necessarily your well being.

Unless you have something to share , I think, that the Mexican state of Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave would be better off without you.
Visit Catemaco News

Bill Kaliher

Feb 22, 2011, 10:30 PM

Post #5 of 9 (14071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] move to veracruz?

Content deleted because it was little more than a personal attack.
Personal arracks are not allowed.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 23, 2011, 9:21 AM)

joaquinx

Feb 23, 2011, 5:52 AM

Post #6 of 9 (14047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill Kaliher] move to veracruz?

What a rambling rant. Been here for one day and already attacking people.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

dongringo_catemaco

Feb 24, 2011, 2:51 PM

Post #7 of 9 (13950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] move to veracruz?

Shucks, I didn`t even have a chance to thank him for the plug.
Visit Catemaco News

Mac539

Mar 1, 2011, 3:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (13844 views)

Shortcut

Try Catemaco. It is maybe an hour south of Veracruz. It's elevation is a little over a 1000', surrounded by 2 volcanos and sits on a gorgeous big lake. The temperature is consistently about 7 degrees less than veracruz.

martian95524@yahoo.com

Dec 16, 2011, 9:09 AM

Post #9 of 9 (12709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] move to veracruz?

I am also interested in Xalapa's rental market. Like you I expect my social security check to be modest. I have monitored VisitXalapa.com to keep up with the local situation there, as I am concerned with the growing influence of the drug cartels in Veracruz as well as inflation, price increases, etc.

Many U.S. citizens have had their pensions and savings wiped out in the last four years and are now at retirement age and unable to continue working. Social Security is insufficient income for seniors in the U.S., which is why many retirees are moving to Mexico. This strategy allows those seniors to retire with dignity. After you are situated for awhile you might consider changing your visa so that in the January enrollment period you can pay the $300. annual payment and sign up with Mexico's national health insurance plan. Do read the exclusions, as it is not all-inclusive coverage.

Xalapa seems to be relatively safe for now. The weather is moderate but wet with 160 days of rain being the average. There are two hospitals, numerous universities, cinemas, symphony orchestras, parks, stadiums and even a planetarium. Plus the major U.S. chain stores (Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, KFC, Burger King, etc,) are also there in case one becomes lonely for the comforts of home.

One fellow posted his monthly $700. budget on Mazinfo.com He returns every six months to visit family in the U.S., so a tourist visa suits his situation quite well. Mazatlan is less expensive to live in than Xalapa, but is much less safe these days, although ex-pats and tourists have not been targeted as yet.

If you speak and read Spanish that will also help you get by for less money.
Some ex-pats can be very helpful and informative. It is unlikely you will find that many snobs among the ex-pat community. Mostly that element stays in gated enclaves or at private golf courses.

With a bit of help and some luck I have heard you can still find nice apartments for $200. a month. Xico would most likely be cheaper and is only minutes away by bus.

Good luck with your search.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4