Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

donemry

Dec 7, 2010, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 16 (6357 views)

Shortcut

Crossing at Colombia

Can't Post | Private Reply
We crossed last Saturday morning. Short lines, took about 45 minutes. Got a "red light" for the first time. Pleasant inspection mostly questions. Military check point on 2, no issues. Made a wrong turn and wound up in Nuevo for awhile. Green light at 25 KM and then smooth sailing to Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, Lagos de Moreno, GDL and PV with no further checkpoints.

(This post was edited by donemry on Dec 9, 2010, 8:41 AM)

Jamesb3118

Dec 16, 2010, 12:21 AM

Post #2 of 16 (6179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Crossing at Colombia

I have heard the Columbia crossing mentioned many times, but which town is it actually in? just curiouis.

Reefhound

Dec 16, 2010, 5:44 AM

Post #3 of 16 (6155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jamesb3118] Crossing at Colombia

Not in a town, about 30km west of Nvo Laredo.

Altahabana

Dec 16, 2010, 5:55 AM

Post #4 of 16 (6154 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have heard the Columbia crossing mentioned many times, but which town is it actually in? just curiouis.

There is no town on either side, just the customs/immigration facilities associated with a border crossing. It is 20 miles upriver from Nuevo Laredo on the Mexican side and a little farther than that from Laredo on the Texas side. It is located within the small strip of Nuevo Leon (about 10 miles?) that borders the US. It was something of a political creation as it provides the state of Nuevo Leon with a commercial crossing and the resulting aduana income. It was opened in 1992 in anticipation of increased commercial traffic due to NAFTA. Columbia is the designated crossing in the Laredo corridor for hazardous cargo.

It apparently became popular with travelers because of congestion at the downtown Laredo bridges created by post-NAFTA high volume commercial vehicle traffic. That problem was remedied when the commercial vehicle only World Trade Bridge was opened in 2000. I think Columbia also got a bump in use from travelers during the Gulf-Sinaloa cartel war that engulfed Nuevo Laredo in 2003-05.

joaquinx

Dec 16, 2010, 6:54 AM

Post #5 of 16 (6139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Crossing at Colombia

There is no town on either side, just the customs/immigration facilities associated with a border crossing.

Odd, Google Earth shows the town of Columbia just to the west of the bridge. It was opened in 1992, the same time as the bridge was opened.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Reefhound

Dec 16, 2010, 7:11 AM

Post #6 of 16 (6130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Crossing at Colombia

Maybe so but you'll never see it if you take this bridge, unless you go off the typical path. Looking at the satellite view, it appears to be a 10x10 block grid of scattered buildings and mostly vacant lots. Perhaps a planned town that was supposed to develop around the crossing that never quite panned out?

Altahabana

Dec 16, 2010, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 16 (6123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Crossing at Colombia

Any buildings in the area are government buildings belonging to Aduana or Migracion or are used by private companies involved in the cross-border transportation industry. There is no town on either side of the border.

joaquinx

Dec 16, 2010, 8:57 AM

Post #8 of 16 (6105 views)

Shortcut

http://en.wikipedia.org/...bia,_Nuevo_Le%C3%B3n
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

RickS

Dec 16, 2010, 11:20 AM

Post #9 of 16 (6086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Crossing at Colombia

My money is on Altahabana's version.....

Jamesb3118

Dec 16, 2010, 1:48 PM

Post #10 of 16 (6067 views)

Shortcut

wow, thanks for the replys!! I really appreciate it, right now I'm planning a trip to Zaragoza for the summer and planning to cross at Piedras Negras, but from what I'm seeing the place to get the car permit is a little ways away from the bridge?

RickS

Dec 16, 2010, 3:31 PM

Post #11 of 16 (6049 views)

Shortcut

Yes, well more than just a 'little way'... probably about 65km. It is down a tad pass Allende, on the 'bypass' just before the split of the 57 free road and the 57 quota. You can't miss it.

I suggest taking the quota from there down to the area between Nueva Rosita and Sabinas. Also, drive slowly directly thru Monclova on Blvd. Pape.... do not take the bypass as it is known for its mordida-seeking cops.

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 17, 2010, 7:23 AM)

chinagringo

Dec 16, 2010, 4:16 PM

Post #12 of 16 (6041 views)

Shortcut

You may (?) want to watch the reports out of that area closely before settling on that particular crossing. Current reports are that the Zetas pretty much control that area and it probably would not be my choice if making the trip today. Much can happen between now and when you are apparently making the trip.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Altahabana

Dec 17, 2010, 8:07 AM

Post #13 of 16 (5970 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
wow, thanks for the replys!! I really appreciate it, right now I'm planning a trip to Zaragoza for the summer and planning to cross at Piedras Negras, but from what I'm seeing the place to get the car permit is a little ways away from the bridge?

As Rick S said, the permit/immigration station south of Piedras is impossible to miss as it is a single building on Highway 57 at the Aduana checkpoint. You simply turn into the parking area just before the checkpoint and handle the transactions there. It is one of the easiest crossings for the purpose of getting the tourist visa and vehicle permits. I also agree you should take the cuota once you clear Aduana at Allende and do not take the loop road around Monclova.

Jamesb3118

Dec 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

Post #14 of 16 (5934 views)

Shortcut

ok, thank you! I just found the check point, and it is actually about 10 miles south of where we will turn off. Do you think I will still need the car permit or FMT? We are actually turning back west on Ciudad Acuna Villa Union and heading to Zaragoza.

Altahabana

Dec 17, 2010, 3:48 PM

Post #15 of 16 (5909 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
ok, thank you! I just found the check point, and it is actually about 10 miles south of where we will turn off. Do you think I will still need the car permit or FMT? We are actually turning back west on Ciudad Acuna Villa Union and heading to Zaragoza.

Zaragoza is inside the frontera zone of Coahuila and does not require a permit. I don't understand the route you are saying. There is a small town named Villa Union which is south east of Allende and is probably within the frontera zone since I don't think you can go further into the interior from there.

Why if I may ask are you going to Villa Union? If the same things are happening in that area like on the rural ranches in other parts of the northeast I certainly wouldn't feel very comfortable there.

Jamesb3118

Dec 17, 2010, 11:24 PM

Post #16 of 16 (5868 views)

Shortcut

I was wrong on the road name, on Google Earth it showed that name, when I looked at bing maps it shows 29, it runs from Allende to Morelos to Zaragoza. We are going to Zaragoza, which is where my girlfriend's family lives.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4