Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

stevebrtx

Dec 2, 2010, 1:08 PM

Post #1 of 25 (16046 views)

Shortcut

Plumbing vent stacks?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just curiosity, but I don't see plumbing vents on houses here, at least not on mine or neighbors. So, every time you flush or drain significant water it sucks the traps dry and you get septic gas backup. Is there something I'm missing?

Rolly

Dec 2, 2010, 2:06 PM

Post #2 of 25 (16032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Plumbing vent stacks?

Properly vented systems, or any vents at all, are not common in my area. I insisted on vents for my construction projects. None of the workers seemed to have any idea what they were for.

Rolly Pirate

salto_jorge

Dec 4, 2010, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 25 (15993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Plumbing vent stacks?

Check this out: http://www.inspectapedia.com/...Vent_Definitions.htm

This reference has all kinds of plumbing information.

The lack of proper vents cause the restrooms to have a strange smell.
We had vents in the restroom floors and had them sealed since we did not want sewer gas.

Salto

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 4, 2010, 8:06 AM)

chicois8

Dec 4, 2010, 6:24 AM

Post #4 of 25 (15984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Plumbing vent stacks?

I do not think you had vents in the bathroom floor, you had a drain to catch any shower water or for mopping up....If it did not have a proper trap to make a water seal you would get sewer gas smell as soon a the water dried up....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

stevebrtx

Dec 5, 2010, 4:52 AM

Post #5 of 25 (15954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Plumbing vent stacks?

Yes, vent stacks go out the roof. I have two baths with showers downstream of the toilet and the showers have the shallow Mexican type drain traps and when you flush you suck the water out of the floor traps, so the only recourse is the flat rubber "stoppers". Also the way the kitchen sink and disposal are misdesigned when you pour significant water like draining pasta after cooking it also drains the trap. I suppose as a matter of economy they don't put them in, I can't imagine any other reason.

chicois8

Dec 5, 2010, 8:21 AM

Post #6 of 25 (15936 views)

Shortcut

And having no vents starts a domino effect, without proper venting the water seal is sucked out of the trap, without a water seal a highway is opened for rats ,roaches and other sewer vermin to enter you home through sink and shower drains....
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Dec 5, 2010, 8:34 AM

Post #7 of 25 (15935 views)

Shortcut

But just think of the ambiance that it adds to ones home! Saves one the expense of buying candles, incense or other such items to provide background smells.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

salto_jorge

Dec 5, 2010, 3:19 PM

Post #8 of 25 (15914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Plumbing vent stacks?

If your toilet is not properly sealed since wax rings are not used im many mexican homes, the solids can be deposited between the floor and the unside of the toilet making a fine mess and worse smell.

Happened to me.

Bennie García

Dec 5, 2010, 4:09 PM

Post #9 of 25 (15907 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
.... since wax rings are not used im many mexican homes,

How many toilets have you seen installed in Mexican homes?

chicois8

Dec 5, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #10 of 25 (15896 views)

Shortcut

If they did not have wax rings they would have used Plumber's putty for the seal....

In Reply To
If your toilet is not properly sealed since wax rings are not used im many mexican homes, the solids can be deposited between the floor and the unside of the toilet making a fine mess and worse smell.

Happened to me.

San Mateo, California

salto_jorge

Dec 6, 2010, 10:08 AM

Post #11 of 25 (15869 views)

Shortcut

It did not look like plumbers putty and for sure they did not use a wax ring.

I purchased several of wax rings and brought them with me to GDL.

Bennie García

Dec 6, 2010, 11:19 AM

Post #12 of 25 (15863 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

They sell the damn things in any hardware or building supply in even the small towns down here. All you have to do is ask for them!

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Dec 6, 2010, 11:22 AM)

Casa

Dec 6, 2010, 2:31 PM

Post #13 of 25 (15851 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

They sell them everywhere here from the corner Tlaperia to Home Depot.....

salto_jorge

Dec 7, 2010, 4:52 PM

Post #14 of 25 (15821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Plumbing vent stacks?

They might, but many so called plumbers do not use them.
Claimed that they did not use them on tiled floors, but then again I have never seen a floor that was not tiled in Mexico.
Maybe they are not real plumbers at all.

sparks

Dec 7, 2010, 6:11 PM

Post #15 of 25 (15813 views)

Shortcut

They cement the toilet to the floor which is fun when you have a problem

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

chicois8

Dec 7, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #16 of 25 (15804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Plumbing vent stacks?

The 2 main ingreadients(sp) for plumber's putty is cement and linseed oil....
San Mateo, California

sparks

Dec 8, 2010, 5:15 AM

Post #17 of 25 (15790 views)

Shortcut

I just put 3 vent stacks on my 3 bathroom house but every sink or shower is not tied in with elevated crossovers. Working fine so far.

First experience with a registro which must act somewhat as a vent. I assume most houses here have registros (connection box/cleanout) and if smell is an issue a vent stack could be retro-fitted off of it.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

salto_jorge

Dec 9, 2010, 3:47 PM

Post #18 of 25 (15755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Plumbing vent stacks?

That is correct, they are cemented to the floor.

johninajijic

Dec 11, 2010, 7:35 AM

Post #19 of 25 (15720 views)

Shortcut

If you don't see plumbing stacks on your roof, your plumbing wasn't done correctly. It depends on who the builder is using for a plumber. It should be common knowledge to any of the "so called" plumbers to install vent stacks or it could be the builder wanted to cheap out on his building costs.

As far as wax seals for toilets go, they must be installed under the toilet. You can get them anywhere in Mexico. I have also seen plumbers putty and cement around the base of the toilets in some houses. My plumber installs wax seals!

YucaLandia

Dec 15, 2010, 6:30 AM

Post #20 of 25 (15662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Plumbing vent stacks?

Unfortunately, plumbing drain vent stacks are not common in the Sureste. A quick look at rooftops in Merida shows that the only vent stacks on many many homes are 3/8" tubes at high points in the gravity-fed water supply systems. Wax gaskets on toilets are also not de rigeur. Wax gaskets and drain vent stacks are about as common as safety grounds on electrical outlets. *sigh*
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 15, 2010, 6:31 AM)

johninajijic

Dec 15, 2010, 5:01 PM

Post #21 of 25 (15630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Plumbing vent stacks?

In Reply To
Unfortunately, plumbing drain vent stacks are not common in the Sureste. A quick look at rooftops in Merida shows that the only vent stacks on many many homes are 3/8" tubes at high points in the gravity-fed water supply systems. Wax gaskets on toilets are also not de rigeur. Wax gaskets and drain vent stacks are about as common as safety grounds on electrical outlets. *sigh*

It doesn't mean it's correct. It just shows more signs of poor construction in Mexico and the buildr cheaping out on building costs as per usual here.

YucaLandia

Dec 15, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #22 of 25 (15616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Plumbing vent stacks?

In Reply To

In Reply To

It doesn't mean it's correct. It just shows more signs of poor construction in Mexico and the buildr cheaping out on building costs as per usual here.

"That's the way we've always done it"
Aw heck, I've mis-described the point again: I was thinking about how many times I've heard ex-pat friends and acquaintances attribute "things being done incorrectly" , especially construction problems, here to either the workers cutting corners, or the contractor being cheap, or sometimes the people think they've been iintentionally cheated.

An alternate explanation to each of their construction problems were that the workers had poor training, or no training at all, and that many many workers here simply do by rote what they were shown or taught by their father, grandfather, uncle, or other mentor. It's a rare teacher that teaches their student how to think, or about how problems can be solved in different ways, and why things are done a certain way versus the teacher that simply passes along the same rote method that they learned by rote, and most times without the proper tools to "do the job right" . I've seen it with plumbing, electrical, and masonry work here, nothing malicious nor stupid - just guys making do with what they were taught and with limited tools and limited materials.

I mentioned the lack of drain vent stacks and lack of wax gaskets here in Merida to point to the principles that its just the way things are done here and the way they have been done for at least 4+ decades. (Our 50 year old home w/4 bathrooms has only 1 drain vent, and ironically, the only drains that have burping/slurping problems are the drains that have the vent.)

What are other construction people's experiences here?
How many problems have you seen that were definitely intentionally done wrong and how many times is it that they don't know any better, and their way works for a while, or is it just the old saw: "That's the way we've always done it" ?

There's also a principle here where if people do things exactly as they were told/taught, they don't get into trouble, but if they start taking liberties and doing independent actions, the entire system might come tumbling down... *grin*
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

onebusyman

Dec 16, 2010, 6:37 AM

Post #23 of 25 (15599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Plumbing vent stacks?

I am in the process of finalizing the plans, financing, electrical and plumbing plans for a new house in Bucerias, north of PV. My builder is great and I've walked through 5 houses that his team have constructed there. Love his attention to detail and his values as a builder, and as a human being. I am a former contractor in the Seattle area and know that I will need to do some teaching about how I want this house built. He says he installs vents.....and I will draw up some diagrams of how 'code' installed vents look, at least here in WA state.

He also tends to install 70 amp electrical systems in his homes, even those that have the same appliances as a US built home plus air conditioning systems. I will be talking with him about a 200 amp panel....even if I have to purchase it in Seattle and bring it down. My sense is that he will be very willing to install what I want and I'm certainly willing to provide my input and ideas...from my building experience in the US.

I imagine that other folks that he has built for think more about the color of the tile and the type of appliances. For me it's that as well as what's behind the walls, and under the slab. Floor drains with P traps, vented sinks and a 220 outlet in my work room.

I will be in Seattle for much of the building process that will begin at the end of Feb. Communication and a trip down every 6-8 weeks is going to be critical. I'm excited about building my second new home in 8 years and beginning a new life in Mexico.

chicois8

Dec 16, 2010, 7:43 AM

Post #24 of 25 (15589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Plumbing vent stacks?

Just curious, with all the beautiful towns in Mexico why did you pick Bucerias? Seattle being cooler and wetter to hotter and humid...
San Mateo, California

robt65

Dec 25, 2010, 8:22 AM

Post #25 of 25 (15501 views)

Shortcut

I kind of like Bucerias a lot. It has a certain Seattle feel to it, depending upon the part of Seattle you have lived in. I almost rented a place in Bucerias, just 3 locks from the beach. It's a really nice place and personally I would take Bucerias over any other community ni or near to PV. Just a personal choice.

robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4