Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

salto_jorge

Nov 28, 2010, 7:06 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2213 views)

Shortcut

What is a "pozo de absorcion" used for ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is a "pozo de absorcion" used for ? The plans for my home show one under the Terraza on the first floor.

I cannot find any drains above it or in the lawn ( that floods ) going to this thing.

Is a "Pozo de Absorción" the same as a "Fosa Séptica" ?

(This post was edited by salto_jorge on Nov 28, 2010, 7:23 AM)

Vichil

Nov 28, 2010, 8:42 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] What is a "pozo de absorcion" used for ?

it is a deep hole where the rain water is directed and where the rain water is absorbed by the surrounding earth.Mine has a tiled top and iscovered by earth and we have a lawn over it. It also has a drain at thetop linked to the street in case of overflow.

salto_jorge

Nov 28, 2010, 8:59 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] What is a "pozo de absorcion" used for ?

How is the rain water directed into the "pozo de absorcion" ?

We do not have drains in our small back yard that floods nor can I find a drain on the roof that goes down.

How big around and how deep is it ?

Vichil

Nov 28, 2010, 10:31 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2179 views)

Shortcut

Are you going to have french drains or any type of drainage? Is the slope directing the water to the well?
I could not tell you how deep mine exactly but I would guess it was 3 m deepby 80cm to one meter wide.The rain water from the roofs goes into that ones and we have quite a large roof. It all depends how much water (at once) you need to get out and how fast the water gets absorbed into the earth. The earth around the pozo has a lot of sandy material so the water gets absorbed pretty quickly. The pozo is lined with bricks that have spaces in between to let the water drain out.
If your small back yard floods you may be able to install some small french and regular drains and drain it in the pozo. May be the pozo is built to suck in the rain water by gravity if the slope is right. I guess if it floods it is not done properly.

We had a problem with the tiny backyard we had in Chiapas as the rain falls in buckets and flooded the small area of the back patio . We resolved it with a drainage system. ditches with sand and pvc pipes with holes going into a register and then on to the street.
In Jalisco we have a pozo because we have a large yard and a large part of the yard is below street level. In Chiapas we can get away with register and regular rain drainage to redirect the rain water to the street as it is not permitted in San Cristobal to connect the rain water drainage to the sewer line.

Could your pozo be a type of sceptic? It has to be connected to something....hopefully!

Vichil

Nov 30, 2010, 4:44 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2137 views)

Shortcut

A plumber came today and I ask him about the pozo de absorcion. He says it is never used for black water and is usually used for rain water or grey water. If nothing seems to be connected to yours it may be why you back patio floods.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4