Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Cathy Duncan

Nov 26, 2010, 11:02 PM

Post #1 of 18 (4538 views)

Shortcut

Comparing Browers -- a detached thread

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yeah, Rolly, IE8 is way more better than firefox latest and even google chrome. Its perhaps because of it maturity.
Step by Step and All About London

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 28, 2010, 9:46 AM)

joaquinx

Nov 27, 2010, 6:02 AM

Post #2 of 18 (4499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cathy Duncan] site blockage

In Reply To
Yeah, Rolly, IE8 is way more better than firefox latest and even google chrome. Its perhaps because of it maturity.

Firefox parses HTML strictly, while IE8 lets some mistakes through. IE8 will work on all sites, while Firefox balks at some code. I prefer FF, only because of the addons and toolbar flexibility. Also FF is a little faster - one reason it permits the cache to reside in ram memory rather than disc.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Nov 27, 2010, 6:03 AM)

Peter

Nov 27, 2010, 6:16 AM

Post #3 of 18 (4489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] site blockage

In Reply To

In Reply To

Firefox parses HTML strictly, while IE8 lets some mistakes through. IE8 will work on all sites, while Firefox balks at some code. I prefer FF, only because of the addons and toolbar flexibility. Also FF is a little faster - one reason it permits the cache to reside in ram memory rather than disc.

I never tried Firefox but have heard many claim a preference. Thanks for your comments on it, I wasn't sure the advantage. Ms. Duncan claims IE8 is "way more better", though, and that is a pretty strong endorsement.

Rolly

Nov 27, 2010, 6:36 AM

Post #4 of 18 (4482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] site blockage

I spent most of yesterday installing and test driving Chrome.
At the end of the day I fired Firefox as my backup browser.
I still prefer IE8 as my main tool; but for some reason,
it does not work well with some MSNBC-TV programs that I watch.
Chrome is much better with them. I also like Chrome's on-the-fly spell checker.
It has a screen capture feature that my computer lacks. I like that.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Nov 27, 2010, 6:58 AM

Post #5 of 18 (4473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] site blockage

Are these browsers downloadable online or part of the computer's software package? I only am familiar with Internet Explorer and seem to recall Navigator from my distant past but have heard nothing of that one any time this millenium that I recall.

Rolly

Nov 27, 2010, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 18 (4466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] site blockage

Yes, they are downloadable, and they are free, Navigator is long dead.
http://www.google.com/chrome
http://www.mozilla.com/...firefox/firefox.html

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Nov 27, 2010, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4445 views)

Shortcut

Rolly:

I may be totally off base with this idea but I believe that some version of Navigator was the predecessor to Firefox?

I really prefer Firefox and only use IE when a site requires it while screaming loudly. I have been curious about Chrome but have not gone through the drill of downloading and learning.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Rolly

Nov 27, 2010, 9:09 AM

Post #8 of 18 (4421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] site blockage

...some version of Navigator was the predecessor to Firefox?"

True.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Nov 27, 2010, 9:46 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4415 views)

Shortcut

Rolly:
Since you just loaded Chrome, I wonder if you could enlighten us with what you feel are the positives of this browser?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Nov 27, 2010, 10:41 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4409 views)

Shortcut

......... and the negatives.

joaquinx

Nov 27, 2010, 10:53 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4402 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I also like Chrome's on-the-fly spell checker.
It has a screen capture feature that my computer lacks.

I hope that this thread doesn't dissolve into a battle of the browsers, yet I'll toss in some comments regarding FF.

I don't know about Chrome's on-the-fly spell checker, but FF has one also. It's not FF, but I have downloaded “SnapShot” to capture segments or entire screens/pages. FF has an addin called WebMail Notifier that pops-up when I have an email in either Yahoo or Gmail. I dislike toolbars and FF gives me customizable one, so I have only the Menu bar, the Navigation bar that I can add functions, and a bookmark bar. I also has a sync feature to sync, bookmark, tabs, passwords, preferences and history. With this, I keep my iPod touch FF app up to date. I think that last feature I like is the “It's all Text” add on that permits me to edit with an editor on my laptop rather than directly on the web site. I am using it to add this posting.

I had tried Opera, Chrome, and Safari and find them all lacking. I also use IE8 as a backup browser.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Nov 27, 2010, 10:53 AM)

Rolly

Nov 27, 2010, 1:26 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] site blockage

I think choosing a browser is a two step process:
1. Does it meet your objective needs? Does it do all or most of the things you need?
2. Does it meet your subjective needs? Does it look and "feel" right?

For me, IE8 meets more of my objective and subjective needs than any other browser.
For me, Chrome adds the missing features better than FF.

The early versions of Chrome really sucked. I only tried the newest version at the instance of a friend.
I'm glad I did. I really like its one-click translator. It has replaced FF as my #2 browser.

Obviously, there is no "best" browser.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 27, 2010, 1:29 PM)

Rolly

Nov 28, 2010, 9:37 AM

Post #13 of 18 (4356 views)

Shortcut

Re: Comparing Browsers

After a few more days of using Chrome, it is fast becoming my main browser.
Move over IE8, there's a new guy in town.

One of the features I really like is automatic translation.
I have set the option so whenever it sees Spanish, it automatically translates the page.
This makes reading government webpages so much easier. Newspapers too.

One major advantage with IE8: When a URL link is typed in a MexConnect post,
it automatically becomes live (clickable). Neither Chrome or FF will do that.
When I see a non-live link in someone's post, it is my habit to edit that post to enliven the link.
With IE8, I can do it with a single key stroke. Chrome and FF will not do that.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 28, 2010, 3:10 PM)

Cathy Duncan

Nov 29, 2010, 4:32 AM

Post #14 of 18 (4321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Comparing Browsers

Yeah Rolly, i agree with you as Chrome is also good as it offers you with different unique features of translating stuff instantly as yo type. I love this feature.
Step by Step and All About London

joaquinx

Nov 29, 2010, 5:05 AM

Post #15 of 18 (4317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Comparing Browsers

Taking Rolly's advise, I am trying Chrome and finding it, er um, ah, a very interesting product. I giving it a prolong test period.
_______

Peter

Nov 29, 2010, 6:11 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Comparing Browsers

I am one who doesn't experiment much with various programs or devices. I get rather accustomed to a system I am familiar with and stay with it unless there is compelling reason to change to something better. I understand with these there is a trade-off of extra features vs some user-friendliness of IE.

Discussions a few years ago seemed to have more to do with these other browsers being "safer" with perhaps better protection from internet ailments and hacking. Is this still a concern?

I really only recall one experience in the past several years where I entered a site to see some song lyrics and had a number of alarms go off from my anti-hacking software. Quite possibly I picked up other "internet nasties" that I am unaware of though I don't do very much surfing or exploring. Do these other browsers provide any extra peace-of-mind in these regards?

johnv

Nov 29, 2010, 7:38 AM

Post #17 of 18 (4299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cathy Duncan] Comparing Browers -- a detached thread

I really would like to try Google Chrome, but I am wary of it due to Google's reputation for tracking it's users. If they track you in internet searches, what do they do when you use their browser? I refuse to use Google Search unless it first goes through a proxy such as Daniel Brandt's Public Information Research Site, commonly known as Scroogle: https://ssl.scroogle.org/

(This post was edited by johnv on Nov 29, 2010, 7:40 AM)

bournemouth

Nov 29, 2010, 7:54 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Comparing Browers -- a detached thread

Thanks for that link John - most useful.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4