roni_smith

Nov 25, 2010, 10:19 AM

Post #1 of 9 (12146 views)

Shortcut

Just back from the Yucatán

Can't Post | Private Reply
7 nights on the Caribbean side

8 nights in Mérida

A good time was had. Estimated time till move to Mérida: about a year.

Here is a photo of the Caribbean side, south of Tulum

------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Peter

Nov 25, 2010, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 9 (12102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Just back from the Yucatán

Glad to hear it is all good. A year seems do-able. If I were still adhering to my original schedule I would still be coming to Mexico for vacations, but as it is I have been retired over four years now. I would probably be working for another four years or so but my plans to move to Mexico were firm and everything just fell into place for an earlier start.

Good luck on your move when ready. I hope everything goes as well for you here as it has for me, in which case you may remember moving here as the best decision you ever made.

happycanuck

Dec 27, 2010, 3:23 PM

Post #3 of 9 (11607 views)

Shortcut

Hi Roni

Just noticed your posting about moving to Merida....I shall be doing exactly that from Toronto on January 12...soooo looking forward to it. I don't know anyone there though so this will be "cold turkey" and I am naturally apprehensive. Will be searching for an apartment in the centre...don't drive...don't want to LOL But I would be most interested in hearing about why you are choosing Merida. Was undecided until a week ago...thought maybe Tulum. But not the support for expats there at least that is what I have discovered online. You're a lot more savvy than I about this moving to Merida thing so would be most grateful for any advice.

Take care

Sharon (Happy Canuck)
Skype wright416

DavidHF

Dec 28, 2010, 9:50 AM

Post #4 of 9 (11542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [happycanuck] Just back from the Yucatán

We vacationed in Mexico for over 25 years before moving here. Our vacations were mostly at or near a coastal resort town. We first went to Cancun in 1979 when there were two hotels and a Club Med. As the years went by we went further and further south; Akumal, Tulum, etc.. We spent time in Merida, Mexico, D.F., and Guadalajara. We visited all the resort areas on the west coast except Acapulco. We it came time to retire we knew we didn't want to be in a resort area with its transient population, time-share salesmen, and high prices. We concluded that the Lake Chapala area was right for us. It's close to a major city for shopping, medical care, and an international airport. The costs of daily living are low and there are a lot of services for foreigners. Most important, the climate is as close to perfect as one can imagine.

roni_smith

Jan 6, 2011, 7:59 PM

Post #5 of 9 (11287 views)

Shortcut

Hi happycanuck

Sorry it took so long to reply

Why are we choosing Merida as a starting city? I grew up in the tropics. We vacationed on the Caribbean side multiple times, have traveled to Ajijic, San Miguel, Guanajuato and Guadalajara.

We like Merida. We have met people there who we like. We have decided to start there and to give the city a commitment of a couple of years. There is great public culture. It is a city rather than a beach town.

I would suggest that you spend time there and that you spend some time reading some of the blogs that are linked to here:

http://debiinmerida.blogspot.com/
------

happycanuck

Jan 7, 2011, 4:24 PM

Post #6 of 9 (11234 views)

Shortcut

Hi Roni

That is an excellent question and frankly I'm not sure what the answer is. I too subscribe to Debbie's blog and she may have had influence in the decision. But architecture is in my blood...was in that field for 20 years and I might have wound up in Costa Rica if it weren't for the World Heritage designation that Merida has received. The cultural aspect too was a factor...have owned an art gallery in Toronto for many years. I am thrilled to have met someone who is also giving Merida a "go". Me too! The fact that I have a 22 year old son who I hope will visit frequently meant that I needed to find my own niche and his as well...he was pushing for Costa Rica but after doing a little research online is very happy I chose the Yucatan.

I arrive on the 13th of January....booking in to the Hostel Zocala for three days until I find an apartment. If you have any ideas of location I am looking for a reasonably priced two bedroom small house or apartment. Hoping to be central if possible. The lower the rent the more likelyhood of being able to afford to buy in a year or so!!

Hope to meet you guys one day soon,

Sharon

roni_smith

Jan 7, 2011, 4:53 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11225 views)

Shortcut

You might contact yucatandreamer who posts here about places to rent.

You might also look at yolisto.com, where there is a adverstisement section
------

happycanuck

Jan 9, 2011, 4:59 AM

Post #8 of 9 (11148 views)

Shortcut

Thank you so much Roni....two days to lift off here in the fridge...that would be Toronto...and cannot wait to go. Will check out those sites and want you to know I am very grateful for the feedback. Will be at the Hostel Zocalo from the 13th to the 16th and running around with a couple of agents who will be taking me to properties. Take care....Sharon

Channi

Jun 30, 2011, 9:32 AM

Post #9 of 9 (7501 views)

Shortcut

Hi Happycanuck,
Wondering how you are adjusting to Merida? Am planning a similar move when my home sells in the US.
Do you have any advice for relocating to Merida? Thanks, Channi

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4