Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

kiki1

Nov 24, 2010, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7799 views)

Shortcut

Speaking of Colima

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am new to living in Colima. Is there a place where expats hang out?

And what is the implication of the latest assassination? From what I am hearing around, the people of Colima seem to be taking it remarkably calmly.

sparks

Nov 25, 2010, 5:16 AM

Post #2 of 8 (7742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kiki1] Speaking of Colima

A friend lived in Colima for 8 months but found no gringo hangouts. He's now in Chapala

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

halfmexi

Nov 25, 2010, 9:41 AM

Post #3 of 8 (7698 views)

Shortcut

That is one of the many wonderful things about Colima - no Expat communities! To survive in Colima you need to speak Spanish, enjoy the Colimense culture and befriend your neighbors, who will help you in times of need (Mexico's culture).

As for the murder of ex-governador Silverio Cavazos, the people of Colima are just waiting to see what Mario (current Gov.) does and if he does decide to let the Army and Navy patrol the streets of the capital. We will know in the next couple weeks...... the people are still against military units on our streets and in our neighborhoods.

VOTE MAYAN ...For A New Tomorrow!

wearechange

Nov 27, 2010, 12:36 PM

Post #4 of 8 (7574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Speaking of Colima

Check out Cafe 1,2,3 on Corregidora St. in downtown. The place is run by Bindu and Beatrice in case you need to converse in English and while you´re there take in the jazz and blues music or whatever other cultural event they have going on.

halfmexi

Nov 27, 2010, 2:05 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wearechange] Speaking of Colima

Cafe Uno Dos Tres has been out of business for a few months now. Beatrice and Bindu have separated and are doing their own thing in Colima nowadays. Beatrice still holds literary classes and piano lessons, and Bindu just finished a 2-week gig at the Colima State Fair.

VOTE MAYAN ...For A New Tomorrow!

kiki1

Dec 20, 2010, 3:20 AM

Post #6 of 8 (7126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Speaking of Colima

Thanks for the answers. I agree that the reason for living here in Colima is to live a Mexican lifestyle in Spanish. Nonetheless, I would like to find a way, or create a way, for those of us who speak English to have a network -- if only to share reading materials!

jerezano

Dec 21, 2010, 6:05 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7012 views)

Shortcut

HELLO ALL,

kiki1 said>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for the answers. I agree that the reason for living here in Colima is to live a Mexican lifestyle in Spanish. Nonetheless, I would like to find a way, or create a way, for those of us who speak English to have a network -- if only to share reading materials!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Go to the University of Colima library. They Must have a collection of English Books. See if you can arrange library privileges.

If that doesn't work, go to Amazon.com and download the Kindle for PC. It is free and gives you access to thousands of free e books on the web. The Magic Catalog of the Butenberg Project is a trove of older classics in many different languages, but mainly English as the English speaking volunteers outnumber all the rest. You will also be able to buy recent books at a reasonable price from Amazon Kindle.

I don't particularly like reading ebooks on my computer, but it is better than nothing. If you have a Kindle itself and if it works in Colima you have no problem.

Good luck. jerezano

sparks

Dec 21, 2010, 5:43 PM

Post #8 of 8 (6927 views)

Shortcut

Or head for Manzanillo where there are gringos and book exchanges ... or Melaque/Barra. Would make a nice day trip

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4