Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

oliviasmith

Nov 24, 2010, 11:47 AM

Post #1 of 12 (15722 views)

Shortcut

golf cart registration?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know how to register a golf cart in Ajijic? We have been pulled over by the same cop saying that I need "papers" for the cart. He threatens me by saying he will confiscate the cart but of course the alternative is to pay him 1500p. This has happened for the past 4 years and I'm over it!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Olivia

La Isla

Nov 24, 2010, 3:40 PM

Post #2 of 12 (15688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oliviasmith] golf cart registration?

Just curious - were you riding your golf cart on a gold course or on a road when you were pulled over by this cop?

DavidHF

Nov 24, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #3 of 12 (15683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] golf cart registration?

It's doubtful that you can register it unless it has stop lights, turn signals etc.. It's also doubtful that he can confiscate it. When stopped by Vialidad/Transito NEVER pay the officer, to do so is a Felony. Always demand that he give you a ticket for your offense.

oliviasmith

Nov 24, 2010, 6:03 PM

Post #4 of 12 (15661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] golf cart registration?

Thanks for your response. I was on a village st., which was the case the other times. More golf carts are being used in the village for errands for the older senior citizens with problematic walking ability. I think that golf carts users should be able to be permitted for this senior use.
Olivia Smith

joaquinx

Nov 24, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #5 of 12 (15654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] golf cart registration?

In Reply To
When stopped by Vialidad/Transito NEVER pay the officer, to do so is a Felony. Always demand that he give you a ticket for your offense.

And, of course, you will spend a half a day in their office before being released. Never say NEVER.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Bennie García

Nov 24, 2010, 6:42 PM

Post #6 of 12 (15645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] golf cart registration?

They cannot arrest you for that. They know it but count on people not knowing it to mess with them.

DavidHF

Nov 25, 2010, 6:21 AM

Post #7 of 12 (15607 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] golf cart registration?

In Reply To

In Reply To
When stopped by Vialidad/Transito NEVER pay the officer, to do so is a Felony. Always demand that he give you a ticket for your offense.

And, of course, you will spend a half a day in their office before being released. Never say NEVER.

sparks

Nov 25, 2010, 7:05 AM

Post #8 of 12 (15594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oliviasmith] golf cart registration?

1500 pesos .... the guy can retire on that. Try 50 next time

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

NEOhio1

Nov 25, 2010, 8:37 AM

Post #9 of 12 (15571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] golf cart registration?

Get the ticket.

Short of that if you choose to pay him couch it in such a way that you pay him to register the vehicle for you then when he stops you again, if he dares (and he might) remind you paid him to register it, where is your paperwork? Its worth a shot if he keeps hassling you.

I have wanted to drive a golf cart for years but don't have anywhere to put it, darn. Its a simple solution.

Peter

Nov 25, 2010, 8:39 AM

Post #10 of 12 (15570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] golf cart registration?

In Reply To
1500 pesos .... the guy can retire on that. Try 50 next time

Inflation. 20 pesos used to be enough to keep them happy here in Michoacán so 50 sounds about right for Ajijic, though for a senior in a golf cart 20 still sounds like more than enough. In Morelia that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow unless the offender was impeding traffic and causing a jam during a busy hour.

I wish the gringo crowd would quit being so generous, if they are willing to pay 1500 pesos the police will be more than willing to ask for it. 1500 pesos should be enough of a fine to take care of the most grievous of offenses. A few weeks ago the police rolled up on a kid selling coke to another in front of a local hangout in my colonia. His father arrived and paid 800 pesos fine at the scene to make that all go away.

richmx2

Nov 25, 2010, 3:23 PM

Post #11 of 12 (15521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] golf cart registration?

Just a gentle reminder. There is no such thing as a "felony" in the Roman/Napoleonic/Mexican legal system. It may be a "crime against the state", but then, so is not licensing your dog.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

Reefhound

Nov 25, 2010, 3:56 PM

Post #12 of 12 (15511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] golf cart registration?

Or video it, put it on youtube, and become an internet sensation like the biker dude.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4