Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

rockydog85251

Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3656 views)

Shortcut

masses in church

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just a question from non-Catholics..........respectfully..

How many masses are celebrated daily in small towns in Mexico? We seem to have a LOT of bells daily, commencing at the half hour, at the quarter hour and on the hour and then nothing for almost an hour and today we have many more bells than normal and there were sky rockets AGAIN this morning about 6:30 a.m. There was also a band and singing.

I have looked and looked for religious observances and can't find anything on line that matches what they do here in Comala.

Thanks for any info!
Willie

tashby

Nov 22, 2010, 5:06 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] masses in church

If you're downwind, you may be hearing the noise from Ajijic. Our Fiestas Patronales started yesterday. This morning the cohetes began at 5 or 5:30, then 6, then 6:30, then 7, then...

Yes, I know where Comala is and yes, I'm kidding. Sort of.

Vichil

Nov 23, 2010, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3601 views)

Shortcut

Who is the patron Saint of Comala?
In Ajijic San Andres is on the 30th of November so the fun starts 9 days or more before...

wendy devlin

Nov 23, 2010, 7:41 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3573 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like preparations are underway for Las fiestas guadalupanas de Comala.

La Virgen de Guadalupe is the patron saint of the municipio. The program begins on November 27 with the choosing on a new queen for the fiesta. There will be parades, pilgrimages, charreria or bull fights(not quite sure but Comala has it's own bull ring) etc. Many masses will be held in the church by the plaza over the fiesta, likely three or more a day. Fireworks, galore.

http://www.radiolevy.tv/...noticia.php?id=24944

The fiesta will generally run along the schedule of many small tradition-keeping towns in Mexico.

Likely if you look around the power poles, bulletin boards, store doors, the church, you may spot posters, outlining, the days of the fiesta, the times of the parades(pilgrimages) the patrons hosting the parade(like the construction workers, the agriculturists, the 'Hijos de ausentes' etc. Special events like musical concerts and dances, the rodeo schedule etc can also be featured on the posters. Although the (non-religious) events will usually have their own posters blitzing the town as well.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Nov 23, 2010, 7:45 AM)

rockydog85251

Nov 23, 2010, 8:23 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] masses in church

Thanks Wendy for the great link....I've bookmarked it for the future and shared it with friends.
Willie

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4