Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

gpkgto

Nov 21, 2010, 3:19 PM

Post #1 of 8 (9586 views)

Shortcut

chayote note

Can't Post | Private Reply
In case anyone didn't know this, you do not have to peel the smooth-skin type of chayote before cooking. The skin cooks fine and is edible. This makes them much more enjoyable to eat since peeling them can be difficult.

(This post was edited by gpkgto on Nov 21, 2010, 3:20 PM)

Anonimo

Nov 21, 2010, 3:30 PM

Post #2 of 8 (9581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] chayote note

But I've found that the skin of the small white (nearly tasteless) ones is inedible.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Nov 21, 2010, 5:54 PM

Post #3 of 8 (9559 views)

Shortcut

The 'rule of thumb' (no pun intended) is that if you can pierce the skin with your fingernail, it's tender enough to leave on the chayote when you cook it.

And remember that the seed is also edible--and delicious.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Nov 22, 2010, 2:17 AM

Post #4 of 8 (9543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] chayote note

I do like the seed best. Most chayote we've had has been in caldos, where it forms part of the overall vegetable ensemble. By itself, it's rather bland.

Haven't ever tried them stuffed, as in Cajun/Creole cuisine. Might be good, with a chorizo-breadcrumb stuffing, etc. Perhaps a light sauce??

Anonimo

tashby

Nov 22, 2010, 7:30 AM

Post #5 of 8 (9530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] chayote note

They are literally a pain to peel...have a strange skin reaction when handling them and need to use plastic baggies to protect skin.

Here's another older thread on Chayote.....we use the recipe esperanza posted a LOT. Sometimes adding other things....even chicken....to make it a whole meal, etc.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...e%20today%3F;#124160

mazbook1

Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 PM

Post #6 of 8 (9489 views)

Shortcut

I've found that cooking mature chayote with the skin on doesn't work for me. If it's cooked sufficiently to make the skin tender, the chayote flesh is horribly overcooked. I only cook them with the skin on if I'm going to scrape out the cooked flesh for use in another recipe, discarding the skin.

Bennie García

Nov 23, 2010, 12:44 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] chayote note

Slight hijack but closely related. We had tortas de chinchayote today. A nice alternative from rice for the starch part of the meal..

Judy in Ags

Nov 24, 2010, 6:43 PM

Post #8 of 8 (9418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] chayote note

I always cook sliced carrots and sliced chayote together. This week I also included some sliced onions and fresh mushrooms. With a little bit of butter--Yum!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4