Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2010, 11:17 AM

Post #1 of 26 (10851 views)

Shortcut

DAMFINO

Can't Post | Private Reply
There are several really nice restaurants that have opened in the new lake mall at the intersection of the Chapala-Ajijic Carretera and the libramiento. Why they are not patronized well is beyond me. Today I had some great tacos at Tacos Niko´s and brought home some fine barbequed chicken wings from Wing´s Army in the same mall. These places, which are branches of restaurants in Gualadajara and elsewhere, are way high above the ordonary crap one gets here but folks don´t go there which beats the hell out of me.

While ordering wings to go at Wings Army this afternoon I noted that they sell a large variety of international beers including, blow my mind with this fact, the best beers on the planet Earth which come from BELGIUM. I noted DUVEL and CAROLUS and was also impressed that they carry KRONENBOURG from Alsace. I spent some time teaching the bartender how to say "Kronenbourg".

So, it seems, this town is being dragged reluctantly into the 21st Century but I don´t really think this redneck town is ready for that.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 14, 2010, 12:52 PM)

Gringal

Nov 14, 2010, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 26 (10832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] DAMFINO

Okay......so if you like deep fried overpriced chicken wings......that's the place. You can get much better chicken wings for less right on Colon, in a non-chain store, at Quekas, etc. (next to the Zebra store) and besides that, plenty good beer or other libations.....all served up by a very gracious host and hostess.
Besides the aformentioned wings, the rest of the food is delicious. Try those sort-of tacos/empanadas for a real treat. A big plate of variety goodies, including chicken wings; enough for two, at a very decent price.

Nothing wrong with the Taco Niko place. Just a bit off the beaten track.......and for some folks.......a mall is a mall is a mall. They'll all probably do just fine after everyone gets their places open Habits change slowly.

mevale

Nov 14, 2010, 8:55 PM

Post #3 of 26 (10709 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Today I had some great tacos at Tacos Niko´s

Had the tacos pastor at Niko's about a month ago. They were some of the worst I've had in Mexico. When we left the restaurant I saw why they were so lousy. The meat had been shaved off of the "trompo" and left to warm under heat lamps for what looked to be quite some time. Unforgivable.

For a much better (and cheaper) taco pastor, go to the guy who has a puesto on the Ajijic plaza on the weekends. For much better tacos in general, try El Compadre next to Multiva in Ajijic. The place is spotless and the food is good. Even better is the puesto in the San Antonio plaza.

To be fair, that's the only dish I've tried at Niko's, but it was so bad I've seen no reason to return. Plus, I think a cold beer and a good taco tastes better when sitting on white plastic furniture.:>)))

Of course, Gringal might dispute the being "cheaper" part since she equates the number of tortillas as being the relevant indicator as to the number of tacos. By her reasoning, Niko's is cheaper since the guy on the plaza only uses one tortilla per taco. En broma.

(This post was edited by mevale on Nov 14, 2010, 9:04 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 15, 2010, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 26 (10656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mevale] DAMFINO

Had the tacos pastor at Niko's about a month ago. They were some of the worst I've had in Mexico.

To each his own. Dawg has only eaten the Yucatecan style pork tacos at Niko´s so can´t comment on the pastor tacos. I sure liked that 9.5% Belgian beer, Hic! Maybe after a couple of those I would even have appreciated Taco Bell. There is another new taco place next to the PEMEX station just down the hill from the mall. one eats there under a palapa. That´s a fun place.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 15, 2010, 6:50 AM)

mevale

Nov 15, 2010, 8:16 AM

Post #5 of 26 (10635 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
There is another new taco place next to the PEMEX station just down the hill from the mall. one eats there under a palapa. That´s a fun place.

We are in agreement about the palapa place. I think it's called "Lake Tacos". I had some excellent "Baja Style" fish tacos there last week. Friends had the arracherra burritos. Everything was great.

Hound Dog

Nov 15, 2010, 9:40 AM

Post #6 of 26 (10625 views)

Shortcut

OK. You have redeemed yourself with that astute posting.

Maybe I´ll have to head over there now.

Gringal

Nov 15, 2010, 12:00 PM

Post #7 of 26 (10597 views)

Shortcut

"Of course, Gringal might dispute the being "cheaper" part since she equates the number of tortillas as being the relevant indicator as to the number of tacos. By her reasoning, Niko's is cheaper since the guy on the plaza only uses one tortilla per taco. En broma."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you reading-impaired? I said the chicken wings at "Wings" were pricier than the wings at Quekas del Abuelo, and that the rest of the food offered at Quekas is excellent, at a reasonable price. Quekas is NOT on the plaza, and I know what a tortilla looks like. I don't need to measure the circumference, nor did I fall off a Mexican turnip truck yesterday. Chicken wings in general are the sort of thing that should be given free at the local watering hole.

Unless you like looking like a victim of foot in mouth disease, it's best to read a post before responding and making a broma of yourself. I went to Niko's once and never returned. It was okay, period. If you're hungry and happen to be there........it's food. I haven't tried the Lake Tacos place. I don't know what "guy on the plaza" you're talking about. The restaurant I referred to is down the street on Colon.

Are we there yet? Hope so.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 15, 2010, 12:29 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 15, 2010, 12:43 PM

Post #8 of 26 (10587 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] DAMFINO

Now, now, Gringal, since Dawg is more or less fond of you I forgive your impertenence. Dawg is always in "late night la la land and since we both lived in L.A. at one time or another, I recognize your small joke there which I sort of appreciated.

Dawg is not especially fond of Mexican food but since that is where I live I must tolerate it and Dawg finds the tacos at Taco Niko´s to be quite tasty especially when accompanied by that high octane Belgian beer they serve icy cold there. The pùrpose of my post was to sing the praises of Taco Niko´s but I must remind you that I also admire cheese sliders as served by Krystal in Western Birmingham near Legion Field of which Dawg has consumed as many as 20 at a time back in the 1960s so it may be that that fact detracts somewhat from any previous reputable stance I may have exhibited in the past. I also like cheese grits and whoppers at Burger King to say nothing of deep fried Moon Pies and RC Cola. After all, Dawg did grow up in the piney woods of South Alabama and was so lacking in good taste that he retired to Lake Chapala.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 15, 2010, 12:44 PM)

mevale

Nov 16, 2010, 8:54 AM

Post #9 of 26 (10472 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you reading-impaired? I said the chicken wings at "Wings" were pricier than the wings at Quekas del Abuelo, and that the rest of the food offered at Quekas is excellent, at a reasonable price. Quekas is NOT on the plaza, and I know what a tortilla looks like. I don't need to measure the circumference, nor did I fall off a Mexican turnip truck yesterday. Chicken wings in general are the sort of thing that should be given free at the local watering hole.

Unless you like looking like a victim of foot in mouth disease, it's best to read a post before responding and making a broma of yourself. I went to Niko's once and never returned. It was okay, period. If you're hungry and happen to be there........it's food. I haven't tried the Lake Tacos place. I don't know what "guy on the plaza" you're talking about. The restaurant I referred to is down the street on Colon.

Wow. "Reading impaired." "Foot-in-mouth". Strong words. First of all, I was making reference to your hilarious statements when Niko's first opened. Second of all: Do you live in Ajijic and how long have you lived here? Seven or eight years? And you've never seen the family that does the tacos pastor across from Bancomer every Saturday and Sunday? They've been there longer than I've lived here, which is seven and a half years.

Here's your quotes on Niko's on TOB:

"Yes, but: those tiny tacos are filled with delicious stuff, and for 15 pesos, you can get four of them! For 30 pesos, you get eight! How much food would you want for that kind of money?"

"Okay, let's nitpick, if we must. If a taco is one tortilla with filling, then there are 2 tacos (2 tortillas) per order. If they are 7.50 for two. that's 4 tacos for 15? Si?"

Wow, heady observations. So according to your calculations, if a taco comes with 5 tortillas and costs 7.50 you get 10 for 15 pesos. What a deal!!!!!!

And also, you've been there once and "it was okay, period", but in September you said "but those tiny tacos are filled with delicious stuff". Jesus! If you're going to review a restaurant on one board and tell everyone that the food is "delicious" and then go on another board and say "it was okay, period", and "went once and never returned", I think it might be time to give the reviews a rest for awhile. Unless it has to do with Roberto's, of course:>))))

(This post was edited by mevale on Nov 16, 2010, 9:15 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 16, 2010, 9:39 AM

Post #10 of 26 (10451 views)

Shortcut

Well, Mevale; you seem to be OK in Dawg´s book. However, the quote you published was not Dawg´s writing so please do not attribute to the hound prose unworthy of The Dawg. The quote you presented was the comment of someone who I at one time thought a friend who seemingly was feeling a bit churlish at the time. Dawg has enough inordinate behavior to live down without having to defend himself from postings initiated by others only tangentially of his acquaintance. I now think I understan why the Webjefe threatened me with expulsion but maybe I missed the point there.

While not required,a retraction laying that bit of impolite churlishness back on its actual author would be appreciated.

I had simply recommended that those resident herabouts try the tacos at Tacos Niko´s which I personally find tasty and especially a fine accompaniment to the very good beer selection there. Tacos Niko´s is a chain restaurant which dared to open a branch here in the land of the codo retirees and they will need all the luck thay can get to survive especially since that Belgian beer Dawg has touted is damned expensive for this hick town.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 16, 2010, 9:42 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 16, 2010, 9:49 AM

Post #11 of 26 (10446 views)

Shortcut

Wow. "Reading impaired." "Foot-in-mouth". Strong words. First of all, I was making reference to your hilarious statements when Niko's first opened. Second of all: Do you live in Ajijic and how long have you lived here? Seven or eight years? And you've never seen the family that does the tacos pastor across from Bancomer every Saturday and Sunday? They've been there longer than I've lived here, which is seven and a half years.

For your information Mevale; Dawg does not and never will post any comment whatsoever on "TOB". Ever! I assume you mean Chapala.Com. I do not participate in that forum at any time. If you wish to criticize me, do so with some degree of truthfullness.

mevale

Nov 16, 2010, 11:40 AM

Post #12 of 26 (10417 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

For your information Mevale; Dawg does not and never will post any comment whatsoever on "TOB". Ever! I assume you mean Chapala.Com. I do not participate in that forum at any time. If you wish to criticize me, do so with some degree of truthfullness.

Brother, you should go back and read my post again. I was quoting Gringal, not the Dawg.

Gringal

Nov 16, 2010, 1:12 PM

Post #13 of 26 (10397 views)

Shortcut

Mevale was quoting my words. Dawg, in this case, is not responsible.

As for what anyone may have said in the past, in whatever context, on the other board.....I'm of the opinion that what happens on the other board, like Vegas, should stay on the other board. I don't even know who "Mevale" is on TOB.

If someone is not willing to read a post carefully enough to respond to the primary subject at hand, why bother responding at all? Thus, my admittedly negative tone in response.

I'm done.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 16, 2010, 1:56 PM)

Rolly

Nov 16, 2010, 1:21 PM

Post #14 of 26 (10391 views)

Shortcut

My lock finger has a terrible itch right now,
so lets get back to discussing the tacos and wings
and forget about who said what where.

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Nov 16, 2010, 1:25 PM

Post #15 of 26 (10387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] DAMFINO

That itch is more than justified.

I, for one, am chastened, and would much rather talk about the relative virtues of tacos and wings.....without rancor sauce.

For one thing, (and whoever wants to correct my spelling is welcome to do so) I think Quekas del Abuelo on Colon is a fine new place to eat, with a selection of very reasonably priced dishes, a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Nice ambiance and friendly hosts. They will spice to your taste.
Among other things........they have chicken wings.
That's my review.
Anyone else been there and want to add to it?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 16, 2010, 1:30 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 16, 2010, 1:45 PM

Post #16 of 26 (10381 views)

Shortcut

OK, Gringal and Mevale and Rolly:

I understand and sympathize with the fact that there has been some miscommunication here and I must say that I was being a bit defensive as the Webjefe seemed to be ready to assign me (the Dawg) to the trash heap and, perhaps, without Dawg having committed any offense with which I was familiar.

One of the reasons I like posting here and never post on the other board which, believe it or not, from which I was never banned, is because I like the discourse hereabouts. It is not that I do not like that other board and I often consult it when I need to know how to find the post office; it´s just that the absolutely inconceivably "Nurse Kratchet From Hell" moderator over there informed me sanctimoniously that, while I could continue to post thereabouts, he/she/it would prescreen my posts in order to determine their acceptability and I´m a sumbitch if I want to go there circa that old bitty Miz Mitty of the brand new Tiny Tots Grammar School in 1948 and one of the reasons I left Greenville, Alabama and moved to Paris as soon as I reached of age in 1966 was to get the hell out of that environment and I´m a sumbitch if some snotty moderator from some such place as Cold Springs, Gaddamned, Iowa was going to By God order Dawg around again and there you have it. I feel much better now.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 16, 2010, 1:48 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 16, 2010, 1:52 PM

Post #17 of 26 (10376 views)

Shortcut

And you are one amusing person, Gringal. I forgive you for the reprimand you issued me last night. I was a bit put off, however, if I must admit so. Water under the dam or over the bridge or whatever.

Dawg

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 16, 2010, 1:54 PM)

Gringal

Nov 16, 2010, 2:08 PM

Post #18 of 26 (10365 views)

Shortcut

Well, the "being put off" makes two of us, so let's leave it at that. Bygones.

How, back on topic: Have you or have you not tried those delicious Mexico City style tacos at Quekas as yet? I like them and hope enough other people do that they stay in business. I still miss those crepes and pizzas from a couple doors away.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 16, 2010, 4:01 PM)

tashby

Nov 16, 2010, 2:10 PM

Post #19 of 26 (10363 views)

Shortcut

Anyone else been there and want to add to it?

Las Quekas del Abuelo is very, very good. I'm not really a wing freak, but theirs (alitas on the menu) are cooked perfectly. I don't think they're in the habit of providing sauces to dip them in, but I'm sure they'll accommodate requests. The quesadillas (likely different than you're used to eating) are terrific, and so are the tacos. The owners, Sylvia I think and I forget the husband's name, are very nice also. Some of the verbiage on the menu is new to me, but they definitely speak enough English to let you know what is what.

Open every day but Tuesday.

As far as the shiny new Giant Food Court, I've eaten at Tacos Nikos once and Los Otates once. I don't feel one way or the other about either. Never been to Wings Army. Doesn't appeal to me.

P.S. Despite the stink up in this thread, I agree that the Tacos al Pastor served on the plaza across from Bancomer and Dollar store really are good if you don't mind eating at an outdoor makeshift place. They used to open on Wednesdays, too, I think. Don't know if they still do or not.

(This post was edited by tashby on Nov 16, 2010, 2:13 PM)

Pita

Nov 17, 2010, 4:23 AM

Post #20 of 26 (10294 views)

Shortcut

Try the chicen soup at Quekas. It's lovely. It may not be on the menu.

Peter

Nov 17, 2010, 10:49 AM

Post #21 of 26 (10238 views)

Shortcut

Damfino Dawg, you didn't mention these places until after we left. Now we have to come back to try them.

Thanks to Johninajijic's list of restaurants Tere and I had places to try. We even had to stay and extra day because the food was good. We especially liked breakfast at Mom's Deli.

(This post was edited by Peter on Nov 17, 2010, 10:53 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 17, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #22 of 26 (10208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] DAMFINO

Wait ´tll you hear that today Dawg found the absolute finest retaurant in Ajijic known as Jardin de Ninette at which I had never dined before. The luncheon special today was a thick and exquisite lamb tenderloin with an outstanding sauce which Dawg ordered blood red and rare inside and greatly charred on the grill on the outside. I had that along with a fine Chilean cabernet sauvignon and the lamb was served with great mashed potatoes and I´ll tell you what else; I arrived about 2:00PM and left at about 3:00PM and I was the only sumbitch in the joint. Great French provincial food with no takers except the old Alabama redneck who immensely enjoyed that lamb lunch a a garden setting on a beautiful afternoon to die for.There is a reason Dawg married a Parisienne. This outstanding bistro style lamb and red wine would stand up to any lunch in Paris´ Left Bank. I lived on bistro food on the Left Bank for a long time so there is no bullshit here. Do any of you have any idea how hard it is to find great lamb tenderloin in this town? The owner/chef came out to meet me and he was not only an exceptional chef but an entertaining fellow. I promise you I will be back in this excellent restaurant many times.
It would be a shame to lose this local treasure.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 17, 2010, 2:40 PM)

NEOhio1

Nov 17, 2010, 8:45 PM

Post #23 of 26 (10162 views)

Shortcut

Dawg, we won't lose great places like that if more people would get out and go to them, but it took you a couple years to grace the plae. So go back soon. We like the place too, and I make the mint icee drink on hot days poolside and a splash of vodka doesn't change the taste.

Hound Dog

Nov 18, 2010, 6:25 AM

Post #24 of 26 (10129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] DAMFINO

Yes, NE, Dawg was a bit slow in discovering this treasure and was also slow as well at discovering the relatively new Laurent Restaurant which features on its regular menu that lamb loin prepared with ginger and raw cashews that I opted out of for the ribeye bearnaise much to my regret as I love lamb (as well as raw cashews and ginger) which used to be really hard to find at the lake. I´ll be back to both of these places. Laurent was, I believe, the chef at La Gasconade which closed. He is a Frenchman so, of course, at the dinner with my French wife I failed to even exist. He is a most amusing fellow but I must be easily amused as I don´t speak French. He reminds me of many French chefs I met in the U.S. west as my Dawgette was in the wine business or as we say down south, in thuh wahn bidness by which we meant Carlo Rossi in the jug which she did not sell - ever but is the official wine of Lakeside or used to be when we first got here.

I´ll be back to Jardin de Ninette for that mint iced tea and lots of other things on their menu after I lose few pounds.

Time for a factoid. Ginger and fresh turmeric root are quite popular at the indigenous market in San Cristóbal de Las Casas but ginger is used medicinally down there and not as a cooking ingredient. I was highy amused as my wife explained to the indigenous ginger vendors there how ginger could be an excellent ingredient in savory dishes. The old boy has come a long way. When I was a kid in Alabama, ginger always came dried as a powder in cans and I thought that was what it was. Same with artichokes which always came as pickled hearts in jasr and not to be confused with the popular Jerusalem artichokes which I have not spied in a market in years. Maybe I just don´t know what is right there in front of me.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 18, 2010, 6:27 AM)

johninajijic

Nov 18, 2010, 8:38 AM

Post #25 of 26 (10095 views)

Shortcut

Hound Dog - Agree 10,000% with your restaurant descriptions and posts!!!

We now find LAURENT to be the "best" restaurant in Ajijic including ambiance, atmosphere and service.

We find EL JARDIN de NINETTE to be a close second, almost matching LAURENT. Oscar Navarette, the Chef/Owner takes much pride in every meal he presents and comes to the tables.

EVERYONE who lives at Lakeside or is thinking of visiting/vacationing here MUST visit these two restaurants often. Their prices for exquisite food are no more than any other Ajijic establishment. They put Number Four at the bottom of the list.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Nov 18, 2010, 8:40 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4