Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johninajijic

Nov 13, 2010, 7:02 AM

Post #1 of 20 (11108 views)

Shortcut

What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Can't Post | Private Reply
What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Are you going to the Coast, either PV or Manzanillo with one of the Travel Agengcies?

Are you staying home and either cooking or going out to one of the restaurants specializing in Thanksgiving Dinners?

Hound Dog

Nov 13, 2010, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 20 (11079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Here is a suggestion. Bubba´s restaurant in Riberas adjacent to Chicken Joe´s Puritan Poultry, will smoke a turkey for you if you buy that turkey at Puritan Poultry. I just purchased a six kilo turkey there today and we will serve that sucker Alabama style with cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce and a fine 50 year old Bordeaux (or claret if you are an English snot).

We would invite John if he could add to the fare with fine New England oysters, clams and other shellfish but he has lived here too long to have access to those fine things so, sorry John. Eat with your GD Yankee friends.

If you wish to order a frseh turkey from Puritan the number is 765-0433. Bubba, next door, can smoke it for you if that is what you like. What on God´s earth is better than smoked turkey?

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 13, 2010, 10:13 AM)

Gringal

Nov 13, 2010, 10:38 AM

Post #3 of 20 (11070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

I will tell you what's better than a smoked, baked or anything else turkey.

We will be driving to Manzanillo for a two night stay at the time warp pink hotel: We will be enjoying a Thanksgiving dinner of skewered giant shrimp and langostini along with a few other treats prepared by Jean Francois at La Toscana while we sit at an ocean-front table. The creme brulee will be the way it should be.

We will then sit under a palapa at the hotel. listen to the surf, sip something and watch the lights of the glamorous container ships entering and leaving the harbor nearby. Ah, the smell of the smog: the honk of the ships' horns.

Now, enjoy the smoked turkey.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 13, 2010, 10:39 AM)

Hound Dog

Nov 13, 2010, 11:04 AM

Post #4 of 20 (11058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

I will tell you what's better than a smoked, baked or anything else turkey.

We will be driving to Manzanillo for a two night stay at the time warp pink hotel: We will be enjoying a Thanksgiving dinner of skewered giant shrimp and langostini along with a few other treats prepared by Jean Francois at La Toscana while we sit at an ocean-front table. The creme brulee will be the way it should be.

We will then sit under a palapa at the hotel. listen to the surf, sip something and watch the lights of the glamorous container ships entering and leaving the harbor nearby. Ah, the smell of the smog: the honk of the ships' horns.

Now, enjoy the smoked turkey.

Well, now; Goddamn it you sorry midwestern no good California transplant pothead; you have upended me. While Dawg has not spent the night at this joint you treasure in many a year, Dawg has, in fact, been there as a guest some time ago and I truly enjoy watching the freighters sail by so I am now sufficiently jealous in a most unpleasant way.

I will now reluctantly head over to Bubba´s for my smoked turkey as a deal is a deal but perhaps next Thanksgiving, I´ll head for Manzanillo for this fabulous sounding meal.

Goddamed Yankees always pissing on our Southern traditions.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 13, 2010, 11:05 AM)

Gringal

Nov 13, 2010, 12:23 PM

Post #5 of 20 (11034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Now Dawg: my parents had the good sense to leave Chicago when I was but a babe in arms, so I am the next thing to a native Californian. Let's have none of this Midwestern transplant nonsense.

The Manzanillo experience, IMO, is a good two nighter. After that.....you've stuffed yourself twice at two memorable dinners and that hard Mexican bed is making you long for home.

We tried one of those "all inclusive" deals our first Thanksgiving in Ajijic, a long bus ride over to PV, and what can I say that will pass the censors? For Thanksgiving itself, we were treated to a "special" restaurant on the premises which served the worst Thanksgiving dinner I have ever had, including the time that my mum forgot to put the sugar in the punkin pie. We were served three crawfish, artistically arranged on a plate with almost nothing to eat unless you wanted to lick off the drizzled decor. "Creative" pumpkin pie, and dang little of it.

So.......have at the turkey. Things could be worse. At least you can sleep in your own bed.

johninajijic

Nov 13, 2010, 12:27 PM

Post #6 of 20 (11032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

In Reply To
Gringal - Great reply!!! We will be going to the Barcelo Karmina Palace Hotel in Manzanillo as an All Inclusive with Vioajes Ajijic Travel Agency. We have never been to Manzanillo before. We usually go to the Occidental Allegro Hotel in Nuevo Vallarta for the past 7 years, but they're closed for a complete remodel. The food and staff were always excellent there. The shows were excellent too as well as the sandy beach. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hound Dog - I would never have someone else cook an unknown brand of Turkey for me. If I were going to cook a Turkey, I would buy my own brand name Turkey and cook it properly myself and it would be moist. The first year I was here in 2001, we ordered a frozen Turkey from Tony's and cooked it. It sucked and was the worst Turkey I ever had. It came from Chile.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Nov 13, 2010, 12:43 PM)

Gringal

Nov 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

Post #7 of 20 (11021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

John........I'd trust a turkey from Puritan Poultry, next door to Bubba's. We buy all our chicken there, and it's always fresh and good. I dunno about Bubba's. Never eaten there.

Let us know how your vacation went after you return. The only problem with Manzanillo is that after you have sat in a stupefied state of bliss from wave watching...........and after you've eaten your fill......there really isn't a lot to do in Manzanillo. I guess it depends on what the place you're staying at has to offer for entertainment.

tashby

Nov 13, 2010, 5:45 PM

Post #8 of 20 (10968 views)

Shortcut

I agree with the above posters. In fact, I think MexConnect should amend their posting guidlines. Along with excluding discussions of Religion and US Politics, it should henceforth be an infraction to even mention Trader Joes.

Thanksgiving? I'm leaving for a week to go to a friend's house in a delightful beach town in Nayarit. I will miss the Fiestas Patronales in Ajijic almost entirely. Darn?

tashby

Nov 13, 2010, 8:29 PM

Post #9 of 20 (10930 views)

Shortcut

Although we have never met, Dawg is now one of your admirers.

Is that an invitation to Chiapas this winter? I'm looking for all kinds of reasons to leave the Lake Chapala area during "the season", if you know what I mean. And besides, I'd love to meet your wife....and....eh....maybe even you if you're an unavoidable part of the package.

Of course, I'm kidding. Or not. Who knows? My career was in advertising...that's right, I'll say anything when it serves my purpose.

Respectfully,
The Huckster

P.S. Just to put this thread back on the tracks.....How are residents of the Lake Chapala Area spending their US Thanksgiving? So far....

--johninajijic is heading to Manzanillo to the Karmina Palace for an all-inclusive experience because the place where he usually stays in Nuevo Vallarta is being remodeled....
--Hound Dawg is ordering a smoked turkey from Bubba....
--ChinaGringo, who doesn't currently live in the area but apparently once did, is ordering a pre-brined turkey from aklfja;kldjfahfadfsjk that he has high hopes for....
--Gringal is going to Manzanillo for a couple of nights, feasting on the traditional Thanksgiving seafood available there.....
--I'm driving to a friend's house north of Vallarta....dunno what's on the menu, don't care.....

Anybody else? Next?

(This post was edited by tashby on Nov 13, 2010, 8:48 PM)

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2010, 6:24 AM

Post #10 of 20 (10891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Is that an invitation to Chiapas this winter?

Indeed it is. Keep in touch. We leave in January or thereabouts. The nicest weather on the planet may be experienced in San Cristóbal in February through April with the caveat that one may occasionally freeze one´s butt off at night. That´s why we have television and fireplaces. The nice thing about spending time alternatively in Chiapas and Chapala, in addition to the ease with which one can remember where one is without concern as to spelling flaws, is that, after six months in the peanut butter and jelly place one can trade that necessity for the world´s greatest tamales. I do seem to be overly food oriented which may explain why the airlines want to charge me for two seats when I accompany my darlin´wife to her hometown of Paris for the much needed foie gras bi-annual fix.

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving, as I may have written earlier, by consuming that turkey Chicken Joe de Riberas sold us smoked by his next-door conspirator Bubba de Texas.

BY FAR THE WORLD´S FINEST THANKGIVING DRESSING
Marie Calendar´s Yellow Corn Bread Mix
Stale Bollillos
Mighty Fine Home made Chicken Broth
Mushrooms
Chopped Celery
Chopped Onions
Chick Livers
Perhaps Oysters

Bake this until it seems properly baked.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 14, 2010, 6:26 AM)

don pedro

Nov 14, 2010, 6:54 AM

Post #11 of 20 (10880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

a bunch of us superb athletes are heading to an all inclusive in pv old town, near the pier, where we will od on beach and water volleyball and whatever else amuses us from nov. 22-26.
the hotel is mexican so it's highly unlikely that turkey will be served so we are going to a bbq restaurant called brasil where we will order a huge platter of assorted animal body parts.
then head over to cafe roma and assorted bars so that we can make total fools of ourselves and give lake chapala ferner residents a really bad reputation.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

Hound Dog

Nov 14, 2010, 8:18 AM

Post #12 of 20 (10849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

the hotel is mexican so it's highly unlikely that turkey will be served so we are going to a bbq restaurant called brasil where we will order a huge platter of assorted animal body parts.

Dawg believes he has dined at that fine Brazilian BBQ joint in Puerto Vallarta and flipped over the place. Very good food in the classic tradition of Brazil or so I understand it never having been to that country. Any of you going to Puerto Vallarta for any reason should try this excellent restaurant if you are a meat freak.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Nov 14, 2010, 8:40 AM)

Rolly

Nov 15, 2010, 5:50 PM

Post #13 of 20 (10514 views)

Shortcut

I have unlocked this thread after removing all the hijacks and BS.
I am sorry that I accidentally removed some valid posts. Sorry about that.

Please, folks, lets stay on topic and don't hijack.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 15, 2010, 9:55 PM)

Gringal

Nov 15, 2010, 5:57 PM

Post #14 of 20 (10507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Thank you Rolly. You're doin' the job just fine. If you added perlite to some of the B.S, you could grow anything.

I'd like to hear about some of the "all inclusive" jaunts people have taken. How was the food? The rooms?
And all the rest. My one venture was miserable, but since these things keep coming up every year, let's hear about them.

Peter

Nov 17, 2010, 10:59 AM

Post #15 of 20 (10408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Was my post a hijack because Tere and I do not live in Ajijic more than a week or two a year? I talked about buying a pavo at Sam's Club and the choices for cranberry sauce - preferring that made from dried cranberries over the canned variety. I don't find fresh cranberries in Mexico at all. I imagine if there are any they are grabbed-up quickly. Or maybe my post was a hijack because Ajijic has no Sam's Club??

Anyway, turkey dinner at home with all the trimmings that are traditional American. Tere is a new convert to comida gringa thanks to her experience of Ajijic's restaurants.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 17, 2010, 7:30 PM

Post #16 of 20 (10356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

We will be eating at home with some smoked turkey, dressing, giblet gravy and other trimmings..It will take about 8 hours to smoke the bird but it is always worth it...

Bennie García

Nov 17, 2010, 7:44 PM

Post #17 of 20 (10362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

In Reply To
.It will take about 8 hours to smoke the bird but it is always worth it...

The trick is keeping it lit.

Jerry@Ajijic

Nov 17, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #18 of 20 (10347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

Keeping it lit is no problem. I just put in 12 to 15 lbs of charcoal (depending on the size of the bird) and let it cook.

Bennie García

Nov 18, 2010, 10:23 AM

Post #19 of 20 (10304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] What are those of you who live at Lakeside doing for Thanksgiving?

whoosh

roni_smith

Dec 4, 2010, 7:47 PM

Post #20 of 20 (9910 views)

Shortcut

Very good food in the classic tradition of Brazil or so I understand it never having been to that country.

I grew up in Brasil, on the southern coast. Great seafood, great beef.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4