Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

onebusyman

Nov 8, 2010, 6:19 PM

Post #1 of 12 (18332 views)

Shortcut

Powdercoating in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
NOB I have a welding shop in my garage and have made some trellises for the yard, gates for clients, etc. I typically have them powder coated by a local company. I see tons of great metal work here in Bucerias however, it looks like the standard here is to paint. Seems to me that can lead to many years of upkeep; wire brrushing, sanding, re-painting, etc. Does anyone know if in your community there are folks who do powder coating? Seems to me it could be a great business here!?

Note: for those that may not know, powder coating is a process by which a colored powder is elctrostatically adheared to the metal and then baked at a relativley low temperature, producing an enamel-like surface on the metal. Lasts for years reducing upkeep.

chinagringo

Nov 9, 2010, 5:57 AM

Post #2 of 12 (18310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Powdercoating in Mexico

Your point follows a line of thinking that I have had for numerous years. While some of the ironwork is great in design and quality, the habit of using paint of marginal quality and preparation for a finish doesn't bode well for long term durability. We have considered bringing raw product NOB and having it power coated here in Albuquerque. In all our travels throughout central Mexico, we have only run across one outfit that appears to use a powder coating finish:

http://www.mueblesfundidos.com.mx/

That said, if my memory serves me correctly, most of their products are cast aluminum. If you go to their products section, they show about 33 electrostatic finishes that they have available. As a secondary comment, it might be difficult to replicate some of the preferred looks that the Mexican artisans try to achieve with paint.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

azheat

Nov 20, 2010, 10:17 AM

Post #3 of 12 (18215 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Powdercoating in Mexico

We have brought five sets of heavy iron gates and
a table base back to Arizona--(yes it took a while on
the top of a Jeep--5 trips!)

And the first thing we always do is get them powdercoated.

They look incredible--and really, somebody should start
offering this service in Mexico! It makes a big difference
plus there are some awesome color choices too.

(This post was edited by azheat on Nov 20, 2010, 10:18 AM)

rockydog85251

Nov 21, 2010, 9:47 AM

Post #4 of 12 (18174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [azheat] Powdercoating in Mexico

They DO offer this type of service in Mazatlan......we had several items done there, with great results......the cast aluminum lid/cover to the BBQ and the roof luggage rack for the car. I believe they are at the corner of Francisco Villa & Vicente Guerrero...or at least very near there. Decent prices too.

Now we are looking for that in Colima!
Willie

onebusyman

Nov 21, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #5 of 12 (18167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Powdercoating in Mexico

Thanks all for the responses. I've continued to do some research and find that one of the largest manufacturers of the powder colors is actually in Mexico! There are a few companies that do powder coating in country, some very large ones. I still have not found any powder coaters in the PV/Bucerias area so may continue to look into starting a small business there once I move down full time. Would be fun to work with these metal working crafts people and make their work even more weather resistant.

robt65

Dec 25, 2010, 8:48 AM

Post #6 of 12 (18050 views)

Shortcut

Hello One busyman,

Merry Christmas.

Have you found any powdercoating services near to the Queretaro area?

robt65

powdercoat

Sep 1, 2011, 11:07 AM

Post #7 of 12 (17275 views)

Shortcut

A company in El Monteon Nayarit has a sandblasting and powder coating service
Call Jeff at 322 101 5564

Sculptari

Oct 4, 2011, 9:25 AM

Post #8 of 12 (17026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [powdercoat] Powdercoating in Mexico

Can't Post |
I wanted to add that Jeff is sandblasting and powder coating an antique cast iron table for us. Jeff is Canadian, and it sounds like he has installed some top of the line equipment for his manufacturing business, and doesn't like to see the process not being used. He is very professional and enthusiastic. The best part, especially for the original poster, he is very near to Bucerias and Puerto Vallarta. Powder coat is definitely the way to go anywhere near the salt air and humidity.
no longer active on Mexconnect

onebusyman

Oct 4, 2011, 6:38 PM

Post #9 of 12 (16993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Powdercoating in Mexico

Thanks for this information! I've already passed this contact info to my builder as well. I really believe powder coating is indeed the way to go. Next time I'm in Bucerias I want to drive up and meet him....and see what he's using for his process.

Welder

Feb 17, 2016, 2:32 PM

Post #10 of 12 (11786 views)

Shortcut

Did you ever figure this out? I'm a welder fabricator from BC Canada thinking about relocating to PV with wife and kids

onebusyman

Feb 18, 2016, 12:42 PM

Post #11 of 12 (11760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Welder] Powdercoating in Mexico

Welder......there is one man who can do small work but mostly does his own art. He has a CNC set up and a small set up for powder coating. With all the use of wrought iron here a large, industrial set up would seem to be popular. In larger cities there are companies who do coating....just not much going on here.

Welder

Feb 18, 2016, 12:47 PM

Post #12 of 12 (11758 views)

Shortcut

If you start an all in one shop, I'd come work, market, and develop. I know factually the lack of quality welders in the area. I was in PV in Nov. I'll be down next Fri. PM me if interested. I'm a fabricator as well as welder.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4