Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Reefhound

Nov 15, 2010, 5:59 AM

Post #26 of 33 (10819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Chaos and Fear in Morelia, Friday November 5, 2010

Can't Post | Private Reply
Scale is the overall volume and frequency - you can't match scale "sometimes".

The San Antonio case involved no shooting and no dead. Not dead is not dead. You might be able to find a match in Mexico to some of the cases of law enforcement actions in the U.S. of law, but you won't find a match in the U.S. to many of the cases of cartel violence in Mexico. Show me where a dozen mayors have been executed. Show me where police chiefs have been executed, and then again their replacement within days. Show me where rehab clinics have been raided and it's patients lined up and executed. Show me where police stations have been attacked and overrun, with many officers kidnapped and later found executed.

If your point is that bad things can happen anywhere, that's never been disputed. But just don't pick out isolated examples elsewhere as if it means the scale and degree is all the same. It snows in Alaska and it has been known to snow in Houston but that doesn't mean you have the same snow issues and that people here should go out and buy snow tires.

Bennie García

Nov 15, 2010, 6:32 AM

Post #27 of 33 (10814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Chaos and Fear in Morelia, Friday November 5, 2010

Of course there isn't drug violence on the same scale. But violence and mass murder happen on a large scale in the US. Can you say Columbine, as the most notorious example of senseless killing? And of course that was far from an isolated incident.

This whole "drug war" has gotten out of hand. It is very ugly, very sad and very terrifying. But unfortunately the US won't change its insane drug policies unless the violence we experience here starts happening there. As long as it is just a bunch of dirty Mexicans getting killed,( and the US press and internet sites constantly blame the victims here, it is all Mexico's fault, all gringos know what a corrupt and immoral race it is), no one up there gives a rat's butt.

Reefhound

Nov 15, 2010, 8:19 AM

Post #28 of 33 (10801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Chaos and Fear in Morelia, Friday November 5, 2010

Sure, there are horrific cases of mass shootings. But rare enough that you remember them by name more than a decade later.

My intent is not to engage in bashing Mexico for it's drug violence. (Which wasn't like this 20 years ago when the insane U.S. drug policies and usage levels were nearly the same.) I usually only jump in when this violence gets dismissed on the ridiculous implications that you have violence everywhere. There is plenty of violence in the U.S. but it does not dominate everyday life like it does in the Mexican border states and certain other areas. (I would NOT include Morelia in those "other" areas.)

Case in point - Rob is asking on these forums about recent road reports in Mexico and the safest routes to take. I could be wrong but I doubt he is posting on U.S. forums asking about the safest U.S. interstates or the best route from Ky. to the border. Like many of you, I log a lot of miles on Mexican roads so it's not that I'm paralyzed with fear but I doubt anyone outside of a certain canine could truthfully say they are as nervous and careful driving through Texas as they are Tamaulipas.

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Nov 15, 2010, 8:34 AM)

Bennie García

Nov 15, 2010, 8:25 AM

Post #29 of 33 (10793 views)

Shortcut

BS, tell me the name of the last one? Nuff said.

Reefhound

Nov 15, 2010, 8:36 AM

Post #30 of 33 (10788 views)

Shortcut

"BS, tell me the name of the last one? Nuff said."

You talking about mass shootings? Ft. Hood - the rogue military officer. Before that? Virginia Tech. Just off the top of my head.

Now tell me about the killings of multiple police officers in Juarez.

(This post was edited by Reefhound on Nov 15, 2010, 8:37 AM)

chinagringo

Nov 15, 2010, 8:37 AM

Post #31 of 33 (10786 views)

Shortcut

Bennie:

Your point about Gringos NOB generalizing is well taken. However, we had an experience this past weekend that appears to contradict this generalization and provides some hope. We had eight copper sinks (purchased in Santa Clara del Cobre) and an onyx vessel sink from Puebla that due to a change in plans were not going to be used in a house we were planning to build. We had a number of people come to look at and purchase said sinks. Because we had actually purchased these sinks in Mexico, conversations naturally evolved into discussions about the situation. Without exception, each and every person expressed a concern and were genuinely interested in where we thought things were headed. Since we have no intention of curtailing future Mexico travel and continuing to source fine Mexican products, we found some new opportunities from these very same customers and their friends. I feel that this speaks well for the reputation of the Mexican Artisans!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Nov 15, 2010, 9:04 AM

Post #32 of 33 (10778 views)

Shortcut

The killing here is well known and acknowledged as an extremely upsetting phenomenon. No one denies it exists. But whenever someone points out something negative about the US you get all defensive.

There is a big difference in the killings on both sides of the border. Here there is a clearcut motive and for the most part the victims are far from innocent.

The opposite is true in your country. No one understands what motivates the killers and the victims are clearly innocent people.

And you mentioned a couple of the more notorious cases that had a large number of victims. There are many more incidents that involved multiple victims you would be unable to name without the benefit of Google. It became so bad a new colloquial term entered the American lexicon, "go postal".

arbon

Nov 15, 2010, 9:55 AM

Post #33 of 33 (10768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Chaos and Fear in Morelia, Friday November 5, 2010

Can't Post |
"AS was the deadly hit of the Mafioso Crime Boss in Montreal, Canada this past week."

The other links were mainly about Mexicans, but the Montreal mafia don Nicolo Rizzuto Sr was from Sicily, Italy.

¿What did he have to do with Mexico?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4