Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

dleach

Nov 5, 2010, 7:26 AM

Post #1 of 21 (12123 views)

Shortcut

GM Onstar Service

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does GM Onstar work in Mexico?
I know it's satellite based and am hoping it works more than just along the U.S. border.
Thanks
David

chinagringo

Nov 5, 2010, 8:01 AM

Post #2 of 21 (12108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] GM Onstar Service

If you proceed to the link which follows, I would guess that you have a partial answer:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/coveragemap

It makes sense to me that their emergency services would not be available in Mexico. That said, there may be work around mapping software that someone has figured out but since I have zero experience with ONSTAR, I really have no idea. If mapping is your desired feature, I would suggest a GARMIN with their Mexico Mapping Card. We have that setup and have been pleasantly surprised by it. For a report that I wrote after a trip in August of '09, go to the following link:

http://www.mexconnect.com/...h_string=GPS;#132035
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

dleach

Nov 5, 2010, 2:03 PM

Post #3 of 21 (12062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] GM Onstar Service

Gracias Neil,
I think the coverage map says it all...."NO"
As many GM products as there are sold in Mexico, you would think they have Onstar.
When I get home, I think I'll drop by the Guadalajara Chevy or GM dealership to verify.
David

Peter

Nov 5, 2010, 2:09 PM

Post #4 of 21 (12059 views)

Shortcut

One might think there is at least a plug-in available if you Onstar doesn't work here. That "type" of feature, if not the actual Onstar, is shown in TV commercials for GM products sold in Mexico.

chinagringo

Nov 5, 2010, 2:48 PM

Post #5 of 21 (12047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] GM Onstar Service

Just curious Peter:

Does the commercial refer to the Emergency Services or simply the GPS aspect?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Peter

Nov 5, 2010, 3:17 PM

Post #6 of 21 (12043 views)

Shortcut

Does the commercial refer to the Emergency Services or simply the GPS aspect?

Not sure. I can't keep up with the dialog but it shows womeone showing-off the GPS aspect of the device.

Casa

Nov 5, 2010, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 21 (12030 views)

Shortcut

Not sure if your US or Canadian Onstar will work in Mexico but the same system in mexico is call GM Link.

You can read about it here

In some other Latin American countries it is call Chevylink

chinagringo

Nov 6, 2010, 11:22 AM

Post #8 of 21 (11981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] GM Onstar Service

Nice link but with my limited Spanish, it is difficult to figure out the exact similarities. I am wondering if it would be a simple matter of re-programing the computer to accept the Link programing? Naturally it would all be in Spanish requiring one to be proficient in rapid understanding to make the system viable to anyone with English as a first language. Then again, it may have programing allowing one to pick a language?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Moisheh

Nov 6, 2010, 2:45 PM

Post #9 of 21 (11952 views)

Shortcut

Afew years back I hit my onstar button just to see what would happen. I got a recording in Spanish that said I was connected to some cell service and for about $5.00 I could be connected and for something like $1.00 a minute I could use the service. Needless to say I disconnected. I think that Onstar uses some type of cell service to get you to their operator. I might try it on my new truck later today.

Moisheh

(This post was edited by Moisheh on Nov 6, 2010, 2:46 PM)

Casa

Nov 6, 2010, 2:46 PM

Post #10 of 21 (11948 views)

Shortcut

I have never used onstar anywhere but glancing at the site in Spanish and in English its looks to be the same service. (Remote features and unlocking car, emergency road and medical assistance, directions, hands free call calling, etc)

In addition the US/Canada site offers information in English, Spanish and French. In this day and age when calls to customer service or technical support are routed around the world to call centres in India or Mexico or other destinations it may be that the US/Canada onstar callers are already being routed to bi or tri lingual reps in Mexico or other countries.

Perhaps you could get the answers to your questions from your local Mexican GM dealer or by calling the GM Link customer service number for Mexico. 01 800 786 5465 or in Mexico City 53 45 49 10

Casa

Nov 6, 2010, 2:50 PM

Post #11 of 21 (11946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] GM Onstar Service

In Reply To
I think that Onstar uses some type of cell service to get you to their operator.

According to the GM link web site they work exclusively with Telcel.

robt65

Nov 11, 2010, 2:59 AM

Post #12 of 21 (11846 views)

Shortcut

Let me try to assist here. I have just bought a new GM product. I also opted to buy the On Star Service. I pointedly asked about Mexico and On star service there. On Star in the USA does extend into Canada, but not into Mexico "IN ANY WAY". There is no forwarding of calls or any other service in Mexico that is related to the American On Star service. On Star service in the USA is available in several different languages. I personally have my reservations that the same (multilingual service) is available in Mexico. I do not have any fact to back that one up, just a personal thought. I also do not believe that certain On Star Services are available with the Mexican version, such as the police assist in car theft notification or the engine stopping when a car has been stolen. Still might get it to have my wife and family protected with other services.

robt65

Casa

Nov 11, 2010, 7:43 AM

Post #13 of 21 (11823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] GM Onstar Service

In Reply To
I also do not believe that certain On Star Services are available with the Mexican version, such as the police assist in car theft notification or the engine stopping when a car has been stolen.

I do not know what languages GM link offers in Mexico but according to the GM LINK (Mexican Version of Onstar) website all of the services mentioned are available in Mexico including, Locating, tracking, and assistance in recuperation, web tracking, and remote immobilization or engine cutoff as well as remote unlocking of the doors.

robt65

Nov 11, 2010, 6:39 PM

Post #14 of 21 (11789 views)

Shortcut

Hello Casa,

If this is the case, that ALL services are exactly the same as in the USA (including service in different languages), I would be very pleased. None the less, I plan to look into it in detail when I return in about ten days. It really is a good service for the most part. thanks for the information.

robt65

Casa

Nov 11, 2010, 10:04 PM

Post #15 of 21 (11774 views)

Shortcut

Hi Robt65,
I am glad you found the information useful. I am not an onstar user but I did take a few moments to compare the US website with the Mexican website. It seems to me that the services that are offered are very close if not identical. I did not notice that the Mexican site GM link makes any mention of multi language service so that would be the one thing to check out for sure. The GM link website is http://www.gm.com.mx/...MGM/showroom/gmlink/ Have a safe drive !

salto_jorge

Nov 13, 2010, 6:19 PM

Post #16 of 21 (11711 views)

Shortcut

The onstar in my 03 GM uses a Digital phone connection. If you purchase minutes for the phone you can make and receive phone calls. The Digital phone system / Computer has a build-in GPS who's location is sent to the helpdesk via the phone if there is a problem. The phone system is supposed to function with several of the major carriers to avoid dead spots although they do exist.

Moisheh

Nov 18, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #17 of 21 (11569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] GM Onstar Service

On Star does not work in Mexico. I tried it 3 times last week in 3 different locations on Hwy 15. Does not work in Hermosillo either. I think On Star uses a CDMA service ( not for the cell phone connection) and Telcel is GSM. Even if I am incorrect I could not get it work.

Moisheh

raferguson

Nov 18, 2010, 7:03 PM

Post #18 of 21 (11534 views)

Shortcut

It is a common misunderstanding that Onstar uses satellite two way communications. It only uses the satellite to get your position via GPS.
Onstar actually uses CDMA cell phone technology (verizon) to connect the car with the Onstar center. CDMA is not a common technology in Mexico. GSM is the cell phone technology in Mexico and most parts of the world. And of course if Onstar does not have a contract with the local CDMA provider, even in the US, you are out of luck.

So as far as I can see, Onstar is only going to work in the US and Canada, in areas that have cell phone service.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

robt65

Dec 25, 2010, 4:42 AM

Post #19 of 21 (10814 views)

Shortcut

On Star Re-Visited

As promised, I returned to our home in or near San Juan de Rio, Queretaro. Jimena and I were in our 2009 GMC Crew Cab and I was showing her how to work some of the features. When I pressed the On Star button I was totally surprised to get a live response. It was actually answered by a woman in Toronto Canada. I told her I was showing the feature to my wife and told her where I was. I told her I didn't think it would work in Mexico. She said she had no problem receiving my call and it was clear as was her responses to me. She was even able to tell me exactly what my position was and where I was. I was very surprised but anyway there is the answer from my GMC On Star Service.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Dec 25, 2010, 4:43 AM)

Moisheh

Dec 25, 2010, 4:50 AM

Post #20 of 21 (10810 views)

Shortcut

robt: I have tried it many times with no success. Could be that you have to be in an area with non Telcel coverage. Strange.

Moisheh

robt65

Dec 25, 2010, 7:48 AM

Post #21 of 21 (10787 views)

Shortcut

I wonder maybe if the On Star have changed their electronics to be better or different? I was stunned and the voice was clear as a bell. Doesn't do much good to hear them well if they couldn't do much for you. I still doubt that in an emergency they would be able to help much, but who knows? The surprises keep coming!

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Dec 25, 2010, 7:29 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4