Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

b_kosina

Oct 7, 2010, 5:39 PM

Post #1 of 15 (13718 views)

Shortcut

Safety in Mexico City??

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,
My family may be moving to Mexico City in the near future as US expats. While the opportunity is very appealing, my biggest concern is safety, given we have 2 children under the age of 3. I would really appreciate perspective from anyone living in Mexico City on this topic. Thanks!!

Gri-lango

Oct 28, 2010, 2:58 PM

Post #2 of 15 (13433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [b_kosina] Safety in Mexico City??

DF has been my home for over a decade. There are good parts and bad parts. I feel as safe here as anywhere in the world. There are criminals in DF (shocking), just like any large city. Be aware, don't give off the victim scent, don't get drunk and wander the city, etc etc.

The criminal mind is smart, they target easy prey. Foreigners and tourists are generally not targets of violent crimes, mainly kidnapping, because it is a pain to get paid the ransom (Embassy, CIA, FBI etc etc). Theft is an issue, but be aware and use common "safety" sense.

DF has a lot of positives: great year-round weather, great food, great nightlife, lots of cultural activities (museums, art galleries and historic sites).

The biggest draw back to DF is the traffic and the Transit police. "Mordidas" are common, the art of negotiating is key.

Peter

Oct 28, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #3 of 15 (13432 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gri-lango] Safety in Mexico City??

Totally cool user name. I like that one.

Gri-lango

Oct 28, 2010, 3:30 PM

Post #4 of 15 (13426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Safety in Mexico City??

Thank you Peter...it has been my on-line "tag" for a while now. It describes me fairly well; gringo por nacimiento y aparencia, pero chilango en muchos aspectos.

Hound Dog

Oct 28, 2010, 3:53 PM

Post #5 of 15 (13421 views)

Shortcut

Say, GriLango; Peter finds your name amusing but I find it dispossessing . Why should I, as a migrant to Mexico from California who has lived at Lake Chapala and the Jovel Valley for some ten years find it amusing that a foreigner living in the capital environs identifies him/herself in the vernacular as a "colored person". I am shortly to seek Mexican citizenship. Why do you identify those of us of European heritage as second class citizens? I am not comfortable with that designation any more than I would be pleased, as a latino U.S. citizen to be identified as some sort of brown skinned interloper. Tell me why I should stay here as a constantly conceived and, thus, disparaged foreigner because of my skin color despite my nationality. Racism is racism no matter its origin.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 28, 2010, 5:54 PM)

Peter

Oct 28, 2010, 4:29 PM

Post #6 of 15 (13409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Safety in Mexico City??

Racism is racism no matter its origin.

Sí, así es. The Brits used to call the Colonists Yankees as some kind of a slam, so in return we adopted the name with pride. Maybe that's what Ben Franklin had in mind with his essay Fart Proudly.

Here in Mexico I'm a gringo and it suits me fine. I can't think of anything better than being a gringo living in Mexico City that can call himself a Gri-lango. Tere thought that was hilarious, having been born in the Distrito herself.

The only American pedigree is to be a pure mutt. You must be able to relate to that, Sr. Perro Corriente.

Gri-lango

Oct 29, 2010, 11:57 AM

Post #7 of 15 (13333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Safety in Mexico City??

No manches...que chistoso. Me conoces Hound Dog? You don't even know me, yet you already labeled me a racist. Nice to cyber meet you too!

Second class citizens? Huh? What? Quite a jump to an erroneous conclusion from one post and a friendly exchange with Peter about my self describing label; gri-lango. It describes me well, it says nothing about you or anyone else.

I have no issue that you are offended by the term gringo or chilango, that's your decision to make. Nor will I try to convince you of anything. Gringo and chilango are used quite commonly in Mexico.

Since I am offensive to you Hound Dog, there is an easy remedy, don't read what I write.

chinagringo

Oct 29, 2010, 12:20 PM

Post #8 of 15 (13327 views)

Shortcut

Gri-lango:

Best to ignore the Dawg when it comes to the shame that he feels when someone uses the word Gringo or a derivative in any context. I have been using my member name for at least seven or eight years and that shame has no bearing on what myself or any other person chooses to do. Any attempt at being PC on his part is simply penance for his past transgressions while growing up in Bama. The Dawg was formerly known as Bubba on various forums but after seeing the light, he invented his new name.

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

eyePad

Oct 29, 2010, 1:36 PM

Post #9 of 15 (13299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Safety in Mexico City??

Gringo and chilango are used quite commonly in Mexico.

Not by everyone - more by ex-pats than other groups; they are sometimes used in a slightly perjorative way. Not that it hasn't changed in the last decade or two. I side with Hound Dog on this one. (It's kind of weird being in here with HD) It's like if you lived in the ghetto and went by the nickname "whitey" (assuming you are a caucasian nor orignally from the ghetto).
BTW, Gri-lango, what del. do you live in?

esperanza

Oct 29, 2010, 2:48 PM

Post #10 of 15 (13278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] Safety in Mexico City??

I agree with HD and eyePad. No one has ever heard the g-word escape my lips. I've never met a Mexican who thought its use was complimentary.

I think the use of that word among expatriates has to do with their need to take the edge off the tension of being foreigners; mostly the expatriates I know use the word in a self-deprecating, hoping-to-be-humorous sort of fashion. IMHO, it just makes them look silly.

This "use of the g-word" argument surfaces on Mexconnect about every six months or so. So far we don't have a consensus.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Peter

Oct 29, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #11 of 15 (13270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Safety in Mexico City??

The alternate "G" word that is in frequent use does have negative connotations though they are usually not intended by the user. I prefer "gringo" to "gavacho" though the latter is more commonly used by the locals. They will affirm the negative connotations exist and easily conform to my/our preferred "gringo" designator.

DavidHF

Oct 29, 2010, 3:06 PM

Post #12 of 15 (13262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Safety in Mexico City??

OK, then what IS the proper word to refer to expats?

ken_in_dfw

Oct 29, 2010, 3:16 PM

Post #13 of 15 (13259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Safety in Mexico City??

Can't Post |
In English: expat
En Español: extranjero

Technically, "expat" in Spanish is "expatriado." But I seriously doubt that any native speaker is going to call you anything other than "extranjero" if they're using polite language.

La Isla

Oct 29, 2010, 3:38 PM

Post #14 of 15 (13249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ken_in_dfw] Safety in Mexico City??

In Reply To
But I seriously doubt that any native speaker is going to call you anything other than "extranjero" if they're using polite language.

The Mexicans that I know here call me "señorita" or "senora" or "amiga" or "vecina" ! : )

Peter

Oct 29, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #15 of 15 (13233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Safety in Mexico City??

OK, then what IS the proper word to refer to expats?

I guess you can pick whatever you like. Not everyone agrees but I hear a lot of us that are just fine with "gringo" and don't have to call it "the G-word".

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4