First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Peter

Oct 30, 2010, 7:34 AM

Post #26 of 45 (7187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To

I do not believe there is anywhere in a town as sophisticated as Morelia that serves chicken-fried steak. Can you believe it?

"Milanesas"?

Close but no cigar.

johninajijic

Oct 30, 2010, 7:34 AM

Post #27 of 45 (7186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

tashby quote - "Actually, they mostly do sandwiches at Panino's, and then add a few entrees onto the menu each day. Her sandwiches are generally very good, and I think they even claim to have a pastrami sandwich, but I've never had the nerve to order that."

Not just sandwiches: Monday - Hot Roast Beef w/ mashed, peas and gravy: Tuesday - Chicken Fried Steak, Wednesday - Hot Turkey Sandwich w/mashed peas and gravy, Thursday - Spaghetti and Meatballs, Thursday and Friday - Scallop plate with coleslaw and salad. Everyday Shrimp Louie, mmmmm. Two different homemade soups daily.

We have friends who eat there three times a week.

tashby quote - "As to Roberto's, I'm in the vast minority on that place. Everybody seems to like it but me. NOT So. I also think there are many other restaurants in Ajijic that have better food for the price.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 30, 2010, 7:38 AM)

Gringal

Oct 30, 2010, 7:59 AM

Post #28 of 45 (7167 views)

Shortcut

Roberto's also serves a Ruben sandwich, which is a his typical over-the-top version, with so much cheese and sauerkraut along with the corned beef that you need a towel before you leave. I can never finish it, but the big fella on the chair next to me is usually willing to help. Tastes good, though!

Don't get the corned beef at Panino's, though. Get the pastrami. One of their great "side" choices is tiny sliced tomatoes in a bowl with Italian dressing. Wish I knew where they get them.

My husband just tossed in the thought that chicken-fried steak is not about the meat: it's designed to be a "holder" for lots of breading and gravy (made, of course, from the pan drippings). (Feel your artieries clogging yet?)LOL

Hound Dog

Oct 30, 2010, 8:23 AM

Post #29 of 45 (7163 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, helpful information all around. I think I'll deviate from my norm and breeze into town on a Monday afternoon. If I can get there enough before four I can grab a pastrami as I enter town and have the extra fine supreme cut chicken-fried steak the next day. Excellent!

Well, Peter; we do have a jewish fellow who claims to be a rabbi who, with his female colleague, makes his own corned beef, pastrami and assorted like items and I often see him selling sandwiches at Super Lake. I´ve been meaning to try his food as I am a big fan of both corned beef and pastrami. Now that I know you are coming to town, I feel it is my obligation to try these products at my first opportunity.

There is also Bubba´s in Riberas for chicken fried steak and Bubba makes bread and butter style jalapeños and regular jalapeños en escabeche that are outstanding. They will throw some habaneros into the jars if you let Bubba know you like your pickled peppers extra picante. Bubba´s food is fun even though he is from Texas.

Who says Chapala and environs ain´t cosmopolitan and mighty sophisticated to boot. That reminds me that I have to get over to Super Lake and load up on Best Foods Mayonnaise and other essential day-to-day ingredients to take down to Chiapas where honkey food is hard to find.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 30, 2010, 8:24 AM)

Bennie García

Oct 30, 2010, 8:57 AM

Post #30 of 45 (7154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

There isn't anything easier than making your own corned beef. It just takes time and space in the refer.

Hound Dog

Oct 30, 2010, 8:57 AM

Post #31 of 45 (7154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

My husband just tossed in the thought that chicken-fried steak is not about the meat: it's designed to be a "holder" for lots of breading and gravy (made, of course, from the pan drippings). (Feel your artieries clogging yet?)LOL

Your (yore?) husband has just been designated an honorary Alabamian.

Dr. Scarborough, the principal of my old high school back in the 50s, had a favorite inquiry upon passing Dawg and his reprobate friends in the school hallway. "Y´all know the best part off the chicken now, don´t yáll?" Of course, we were required at all times to respond in unison, "No, suh, Mr. Scarborough. Tell us, please suh, what is the best part of the chicken?"; to which he would reply, "The gravy." This exchange always pleased him immensley and in those days, when the high school principal kept a large wooden paddle in his office to help him assert his prerogatives, an immensely pleased principal was a good thing.

Getting back on the subject, which is the food at Roberto´s; I may not have been clear in my remarks that we agree that this s a good restaurant serving food in a very nice atmosphere. Of course, I also like chicken fried steak so what do I know.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 30, 2010, 10:33 AM)

Gringal

Oct 30, 2010, 9:34 AM

Post #32 of 45 (7141 views)

Shortcut

My "honorary Alabamian" husband had a grandma from the wilds of the midwest who he described as a "great salt and pepper cook". So, to add to that one:....."she made double fried chicken" on Sunday, which he claims was delicious. Now, I've never tasted this dish, since my forbears came from other sorts of culinary traditions, but I wonder if anybody around these parts serves up double friend chicken.

"The Rabbi" had a restaurant in Chapala at some point. Don't know what happened there. Haven't seen him at Superlake, recently either.

Another Roberto good dish: When he has Marsala wine (which I think he does, right now) he makes a very tasty chicken marsala. Ask about that one.

Pita

Oct 30, 2010, 9:53 AM

Post #33 of 45 (7134 views)

Shortcut

Early bird cafe recently added corned beef sandwiches on rye bread to their menu. (not available Sundays). I haven't had one, but can attest to the good corned beef in his hash. Big hunks of it in the hash.

As for Robertos: big points for consistency and that poblano cream soup. Those two, along with the lovely garden, can go a long way to make up for the sometimes pedestian food and service.

cbviajero

Oct 30, 2010, 11:00 AM

Post #34 of 45 (7116 views)

Shortcut

Bread and butter style jalapeños sound really good, I wonder how hard they would be to make at home,I don't get out to lakeside very often but next time I go I'll check out Bubba's for jar of those pickeled peppers,I'm also wondering where to find a meat thermometer maybe Superlake?
Sorry for getting off the thread.
Regards
CB

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Oct 30, 2010, 11:03 AM)

Hound Dog

Oct 30, 2010, 11:01 AM

Post #35 of 45 (7115 views)

Shortcut

Another Roberto good dish: When he has Marsala wine (which I think he does, right now) he makes a very tasty chicken marsala. Ask about that one.

Which reminds me of the last time I went to Pedro´s Gourmet on Ocampo maybe three years ago and ordered veal marsala. Now, it happens that Dawg loves meat such as (so called) veal or chicken cooked in marsala. If done well, this is a splendid dish which I loved when living in San Francisco´s Italian oriented North Beach. Well, the veal dish at Pedro´s came out to the table and was, how shall I say it, insipid. greasy, tasteless, lacking in any gastronomic qualities of any kind. Worse than Wonder Bread and Bama Strawberry Jam. Reminiscent of grits and eggs at the Rainbow Cafe in Georgiana, Alabama circa 1954. The most dreadful concoction imaginable even if one is eating in Nebraska.

So, anyway, Pedro walks by and Dawg says to him, that is the single worst veal marsala Dawg has ever put in his mouth and Pedro responded ( after inquiring in the kitchen) , "Well, we ran out of marsala." Then, inquired the Dawg, why did you serve me veal marsala without marsala? Why didn´t your server simply say, sorry sir, we have run out of marsala? After all, veal marsala without marsala ain´t veal marsala."

Pedro responded, (and this is precise",) What am I supposed to do. I am owning and hosting a restaurant. I can´t be running into the kitchen all the time to make sure they have marsala for God´s sake."

I have never darkened his door again no matter what he calls his current joint.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 30, 2010, 1:05 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 30, 2010, 11:11 AM

Post #36 of 45 (7106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

There isn't anything easier than making your own corned beef. It just takes time and space in the refer.

Damn, Bennie, I thought you had flown the coup. Of course, those of us who read these forums with some regularity know that you, amigo, are an expert on all things important to mankind. Anyway, glad to see you are still lurking hereabouts.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 30, 2010, 11:12 AM)

tashby

Oct 30, 2010, 4:03 PM

Post #37 of 45 (7079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

As for Robertos: big points for consistency and that poblano cream soup.

I agree with this entirely. The Poblano Soup is the best tasting thing I've ever had at Roberto's. But I've only been there a few times, and only go when someone else insists.

Gringal

Oct 30, 2010, 4:32 PM

Post #38 of 45 (7069 views)

Shortcut

Marsala-free veal marsala?
Checking the kitchen is Job One for the owner. Always.

Meanwhile, Pedro's old place is history and I'm danged if I'll climb three flights of stairs to GO, in order to find out whether his dim sun is dim or not.

Anonimo

Oct 31, 2010, 12:48 AM

Post #39 of 45 (7038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

True, once you get the proper cut of brisket (pecho de res). I emptied the larger vegetable crisper, lined it with doubled medium duty plastic bags, put the brisket in plus the brine and spices, and left it for two weeks. It was hard having the diminished space, but it was worth it when the corned beef was cooked.

Pastrami is somewhat more challenging, as it needs to be smoked. Haven't done that in a number of years.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

mevale

Oct 31, 2010, 4:37 PM

Post #40 of 45 (6976 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Marsala-free veal marsala?
Checking the kitchen is Job One for the owner. Always.

Meanwhile, Pedro's old place is history and I'm danged if I'll climb three flights of stairs to GO, in order to find out whether his dim sun is dim or not.

Well, the old Pedro's reminded me very much of Roberto's. Nothing really bad, but nothing remarkable either. Just basic meals without flair (or some would say, flavor). His new place (GO) actually has some pretty interesting and well-prepared dishes. I would rate it and Chili Bang as the restaurants with the most innovative and well-produced menus in the area.

But if I was a big fan of Roberto's, I wouldn't walk up 3 flights of stairs either to eat at GO.

Gringal

Oct 31, 2010, 4:50 PM

Post #41 of 45 (6971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mevale] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

I'm not a "big fan" of any restaurant in this area. As I mentioned in another post, my expectations in this backwater of the culinary universe are low enough that I give good marks to any restaurant around here that has decent service, reasonably tasty food and doesn't give me food poisoning.

I've heard good things about Chili Bang and intend to try it when they re-open. I'm afraid that "innovative" doesn't tempt me, in itself. I'm interested in high quality food, prepared well. Period.

As far as Pedro's new enterprise is concerned........it's the same Pedro who, IMO, didn't have a particularly good attitude toward his customers in the first place.......and I did get food poisoning after eating there. Didn't return. Three flights of stairs doesn't add to the intrinsic appeal.

johninajijic

Nov 4, 2010, 2:30 PM

Post #42 of 45 (6889 views)

Shortcut

Gringal quote - As far as Pedro's new enterprise is concerned........it's the same Pedro who, IMO, didn't have a particularly good attitude toward his customers in the first place.......and I did get food poisoning after eating there. Didn't return. Three flights of stairs doesn't add to the intrinsic appeal.

Gotta agree 1000%. Our restaurant group stopped going top Pedro's after 3 out of 6 of us got sick there. Pedro was running around with his fly swatter all night. His menu and food was mediocre at best. Even though he knew you as a customer, he wouldn't speak to you in Super Lake. What an attitude. I would never climb 3 flights to go to GO.

DavidHF

Nov 4, 2010, 3:55 PM

Post #43 of 45 (6871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

We like GO! a lot. We find Pedro delightful. He does all the cooking himself and the food is superb.

Hound Dog

Nov 4, 2010, 5:20 PM

Post #44 of 45 (6856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Here, whether you like it or not, is what Dawg thinks.

Dawg first met Pedro shortly after moving here in 2001 when he opened his first Lakeside restaurant in San Antonio. I remember that I asked if he planned to charbroil his burgers and he responded that he would be frying them. He also indicated that he was something of a workaholic who had decided that he needed to keep up his culinary skills in order to survive.

I think Pedro is a talented guy and here it is ten years later and this sumbitch is not only on his third restaurant I have seen him open but he continues to innovate and try, by God, to outdo the former Pedro thus today we have the demise of Pedro´s Gourmet and the latest incarnation of "GO". How many of us in our declining years keep jump-starting what we were and, hopefully will be until we drop dead in our tracks. Pretty damned energetic for a Canadian. So he´s tempermental - creative chefs are by nature tempermental. Maybe Dawg thinks his managerial skills are lacking but it´s too late to change that.

I haven´t eaten at "GO" and rarely visited Pedro´s Gourmet but that´s just becauise we hardly ever eat out at all. I´ll bet "GO" is a fun place with good food even if Pedro is an "AHole". I like the guy`s spunk. I regret putting him down. Ten years later and I´m lucky to stay awake and this MoFo is opening another restaurant with innovative cuisine. Not bad for a Canadian redneck in Peoria Upon Sump who can´t sit down for more than ten minutes.

Give him a try. I plan to do so.

Gringal

Nov 4, 2010, 5:54 PM

Post #45 of 45 (6839 views)

Shortcut

That's generous of you, Dawg, considering that you're the one who had the marsala-free veal marsala and no apologies.

Yes, people should get points for trying. In that case Giovanni's score would be off the charts in terms of how many tries he's made in this burg.

If someone else invites us to join them at GO, we may go there. Otherwise, his success will depend on those with better knees than my esposo's. Maybe he should try a "dumbwaiter" style take out service.
Or better yet........move. There's a nice big place available right up 16 Septiembre street once known as the Cheesecake Factory clone, redux. Been vacant a while. Quite a while.

However, I heard Pedro's purpose in opening GO was not in enticing us geezers up there: it's to be the hot spot for Guad night grazers. I hear he's doing well with them.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4