Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johninajijic

Oct 27, 2010, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 45 (8466 views)

Shortcut

LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Can't Post | Private Reply
We seldom go out for Lunch, but three of us decided to try Roberto's new Chinese Menu. It consists of Orange or Sesame Chicken, Mongolian Beef, Sweet & Sour Pork or Chicken. All come with fried rice for $ 65. pesos. A small salad or choice of two soups is $ 15. pesos more. He still has his regular Lunch Menu with good choices from $ 80 - $ 115 pesos.

This is not criticizing Roberto's, but the waiter forgot the Carrot Fritters. He also forgot our soups and salads. He was very, very apologetic.

One person ordered the Orange Chicken, one ordered the Sweet & Sour Chicken and I ordered Sweet & Sour Pork. The people who ordered the Sweet & Sour dishes liked them. The person who ordered the Orange Chicken didn't like it, I tasted it and didn't like it either. The sauce was waaaaay too sweet. Our friends at another table, who were there before us ordered the Mongolian Beef and loved it. All dishes are acompanied by Fried Rice which was very good, light and fluffy.

We all thought there could have been a little more food and more than one large scoop of rice.

ROBERTO'S Restaurant
766 1616

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 27, 2010, 4:53 PM)

Vichil

Oct 27, 2010, 5:16 PM

Post #2 of 45 (8451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Was the Mu Shu pork still on the menu? Ever since someone mentioned it I want to have some but I have not ben able to get there yet.

Gringal

Oct 27, 2010, 5:37 PM

Post #3 of 45 (8440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

It was on the menu today. I've had it, and it was good.....but the plum sauce is "different" than what I'm used to. Comes with two wrappers, and if you're hungry, three or four would hold the pile of pork and veggies mix. They'll probably bring more if asked. 65 pesos on the special menu.

What's new and good: The pesto chicken/cheese sandwich. My spouse is hooked on it, I fear.

Vichil

Oct 27, 2010, 8:06 PM

Post #4 of 45 (8416 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Thanks for the quick answer, I will go before it disappear hope the plum sauce is not too different from what I am used to but I may like it, you never know...

Anonimo

Oct 28, 2010, 1:21 AM

Post #5 of 45 (8397 views)

Shortcut

Some Traditionalists may gasp in horror, but I've made Mu Shu Pork here and "cheated" by using flour tortillas, lightly brushed with sesame oil, for the Peking wrappers. The difference was negligible. The rest of the dish was in conformance with standard mu shu guidelines. Plum sauce is fine, as is Hoisin Sauce, but in general, my Mu Shu Pork is best without any condiments to distract from the savory amalgam of flavors.

This post has given me the impetus to make it again soon. We just had hot and sour soup, a sort of liquid, not too distant relative of mu shu pork.

After a couple of less than satisfactory experiences, we give Pátzcuaro and Morelia Chinese restaurants a wide berth. I'm looking forward to our next trip to Mexico City, where we hope to dine at http://tinyurl.com/MojingComidaChina.

Maybe you Lakeside diners are luckier than you sometimes appreciate.

Vichil

Oct 28, 2010, 5:46 AM

Post #6 of 45 (8383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Flour tortillas are perfect for it, I was thinking of making Mu Shu pork with tortillas as well and probably will one of this days but if I can find some good one I will be happy to try it.

Gringal

Oct 28, 2010, 10:12 AM

Post #7 of 45 (8343 views)

Shortcut

These are very thin flour tortillas......they work well.
The plum sauce (and Bobby showed me the can when I expressed doubt) is actually a yellowish color.
I much prefer the good old dark red variety I'm used to, but the mushu tastes fine without using it.

Sigh. It's just not a perfect world !

Hound Dog

Oct 28, 2010, 10:28 AM

Post #8 of 45 (8338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

After a couple of less than satisfactory experiences, we give Pátzcuaro and Morelia Chinese restaurants a wide berth

Tell me something, Anonimo; how can you give a wide berth to something that does not, in reality, exist? Since you have the good fortune to live in Michoacan - the birth mother of all that is to be found within the culinary arts of all of mankind - why would you seek out the food of simple Asian peasants who unsuccessfully tried to mimic such profound achievements and then had the audacity to attempt its introduction into the Americas in the form of "buffets" serving forlorn week-old fritters? I say; reheat the whole thing no matter how long it has been out of the earth and on the serving shelf. Did you bring the Tums?

esperanza

Oct 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Post #9 of 45 (8329 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
These are very thin flour tortillas......they work well.
The plum sauce (and Bobby showed me the can when I expressed doubt) is actually a yellowish color.
I much prefer the good old dark red variety I'm used to, but the mushu tastes fine without using it.

Sigh. It's just not a perfect world !

Plum sauce is not normally served with mushu pork. The 'dark red variety' is hoisin sauce, which is the standard sauce to smear on your mushu pancake before loading on the mushu meat and veggies. Hoisin sauce is available in five-pound tins at a wholesaler near the Mercado de Abastos in Guadalajara and in residential-use sizes at Wal-Mart, SuperLake, etc, so I wonder why they don't serve it in the restaurant.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Vichil

Oct 28, 2010, 3:14 PM

Post #10 of 45 (8314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Plum sauce is not normally served with mushu pork. The 'dark red variety' is hoisin sauce, which is the standard sauce to smear on your mushu pancake before loading on the mushu meat and veggies.

Esperanza is correct about the hoisin sauce as one would expect.

However, as I am sure she would agree, the Mu Shu Pork seved at Roberto´s is not Mu Shu Pork although it ain´t bad but it is to Mu Shu Pork as Taco Bell´s tacos are to real tacos in Mexico so understand that when you go there. It is my wife who had the Mu Shu Pork. I had the Chinese Lettuce Wrap mystery dish which was as far removed from the real thing as one could get on Planet Earth.

Robert´s is a good restaurant serving food in a fine place but go there for the convivial atmosphere and fine service proferred by professional employees. Do not go there for authentric ethnic food unless you have expectations honed in suburban Des Moines.

Roberto´s serves expectations, not reality. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you seek. Good food, actually but if you eat Ethiopian food there do not expect to exit into downtown Addis Ababa.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Oct 28, 2010, 3:16 PM)

Gringal

Oct 28, 2010, 3:41 PM

Post #11 of 45 (8302 views)

Shortcut

Suggestion: Order the plainer stuff at Roberto's. He's a man who likes deep fry, gravy, sweet flavors and makes a mean fried fish, like the Chapala Sole. His meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy is real comfort food. Good gravy.
His new best sandwich is an Italian chicken sandwich, meaning pesto added, but with lots of cheese and a side. I like it.
Good burgers, too, especially if you tell the waiter you want a slice (rebanada?) of cheese.....no cheese goo sauce, unless Velveeta-like sauce is your thing.
But, as soon as things get fancy......it's an adventure.

He now has a Chinese cook. I don't know where this fella hails from, but those Chinese specials aren't what you'd expect. It's another adventure. It isn't Geary Street, let alone Hong Kong Harbor. Doesn't mean it's bad......just......different.

Mainly.........I enjoy Roberto's. Beautiful garden, friendly people and I've never had food poisoning after eating there. My standards are simple.

Peter

Oct 28, 2010, 3:57 PM

Post #12 of 45 (8297 views)

Shortcut

Order the plainer stuff at Roberto's. He's a man who likes deep fry, gravy, sweet flavors and makes a mean fried fish, like the Chapala Sole. His meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy is real comfort food. Good gravy.
His new best sandwich is an Italian chicken sandwich...

Sounds like a plan. I need to introduce Tere to good ol' gringo vittles. Sounds like the place to go. Do they do chicken-fried steak and gravy?

I'll be going to Ajijic in a couple weeks or so. Worse part of the trip is after jumping off the autopista at Ocotlán through the road construction almost all the way into Chapala. If I knew a better way around that we may be there sooner. Comfort food it is, not going to do alta cocina Mexicana this trip.

Hound Dog

Oct 28, 2010, 4:31 PM

Post #13 of 45 (8289 views)

Shortcut

My dear husband posted under my name again...

The Mu shu pork was not the mushu pork from Chinatown but it was tasty. The sauce was not hoisin sauce and if it was a plum sauce it was not a plum sauce I was familiar with either, I guess they are into fusion as well and strangely enough the pork was served on rice which does not make sense to me but if you do not expect the tradional dish the taste was enjoyable.
The atmosphere was very pleasant and the company too so all in all it was a good lunch.

Gringal

Oct 28, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #14 of 45 (8284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Naaah. For Chicken fried steak and gravy, you gotta go to Bubba's. However, I've heard it's pretty awful.
For some. Some love it.

Roberto's is a better bet. Pretty garden, too.

Hound Dog

Oct 29, 2010, 12:10 PM

Post #15 of 45 (8221 views)

Shortcut

Naaah. For Chicken fried steak and gravy, you gotta go to Bubba's. However, I've heard it's pretty awful.
For some. Some love it.

"Awful" Chicken Fried Steak is a redundancy. Fine Texas food is an oxymoron. I happen to like Bubba and go to his joint to buy his "bread & butter" jalapeños and some other stuff and he is also located next to Chicken Joe´s Puritan Poultry which serves up the best chicken in North America.

There is nothing wrong with Bubba´s clientele that a ninth grade education wouldn´t cure. I undrestand that any Bubba client can say uno, dos, tres, cuatro but "cinco" is a problem. Damn Texans.

Gringal

Oct 29, 2010, 2:43 PM

Post #16 of 45 (8189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Is an Oxymoron full of air? Okay, so "awful chicken fried steak" is close. I call it "hard times" food. 'Twas bottom round beaten to a fare-thee-well, floured and fried hot and fast to maintain some degree of chewability. Smoke alarms would go off if the steak was being properly prepared.

But there's no explaining what people like, or why. Everybody eats, so everybody is a food critic. lol.

tashby

Oct 29, 2010, 3:37 PM

Post #17 of 45 (8179 views)

Shortcut

I like Chicken-Fried Steak. Peter, if you want to get this fix or introduce it to Tere, in my opinion the best version locally is at Panino's, but it's only available on Tuesday's. Panino's only serves "lunch" and is open M-F til 4pm. It's just east of Superlake on the same side of the carretera.

Hers also comes with mashed-potatoes and gravy (and a side salad). Definitely prefer it to Bubba's. I like her seasoning better, and it's not quite as heavily battered as Bubba's.

As to Roberto's, I'm in the vast minority on that place. Everybody seems to like it but me.

(This post was edited by tashby on Oct 29, 2010, 3:40 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 29, 2010, 3:39 PM

Post #18 of 45 (8176 views)

Shortcut

Is an Oxymoron full of air? Okay, so "awful chicken fried steak" is close. I call it "hard times" food. 'Twas bottom round beaten to a fare-thee-well, floured and fried hot and fast to maintain some degree of chewability. Smoke alarms would go off if the steak was being properly prepared.

Ah, Gringal, you missed the boat. The oxymoron is "one mighty fine chicken fried steak". What is wrong with you girl?

Some more of Dawg´s favorites:

"Light, elegant and fluffy cheese grits."

"Deep fried Moon Pies bathed in a warm RC Cola bath for maximum flavor enhancement."

" Tom´s peanuts soaked in Big Orange Soda with Dr. Pepper essences for maximum flavor enhancements."

"The essence of magnificent pre-Hispanic cuisine writ large by the inclusion of the birth mother of mankind´s nourishment otherwise known as corn and beans enhanced by the inclusion of tomatoes and green chiles. Hold the catsup."

You get my drift.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 29, 2010, 3:40 PM)

Peter

Oct 29, 2010, 4:13 PM

Post #19 of 45 (8157 views)

Shortcut

"Hold the catsup." That's rich!

Peter

Oct 29, 2010, 4:17 PM

Post #20 of 45 (8153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Thanks for that recommendation, Tashby. I will definitely have to go there. It will not only be a cultural culinary experience for Tere but will fulfil a craving of mine. I do not believe there is anywhere in a town as sophisticated as Morelia that serves chicken-fried steak. Can you believe it?

Now if I can just find a corned beef or pastrami sandwich.

Gringal

Oct 29, 2010, 4:24 PM

Post #21 of 45 (8149 views)

Shortcut

Got it, dawg.

I have to agree with Tashby that the dish in question is likely to be way better at Panino's than at Bubba's .
That cook knows how to do Gringo comfort food. How can you beat the Monday special of roast beast with mashed potatoes and peas, I ask you? And a case full of pies like peanut butter silk or apple to top it off?

No joking, though. Panino's has it together. Always consistent, always spotlessly clean and a friendly, efficient staff.

For Tashby: It is also the place to find a corned beef or pastrami sandwich on a good roll, if that's your pleasure......and homemade soup as well.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 29, 2010, 4:26 PM)

tashby

Oct 29, 2010, 4:26 PM

Post #22 of 45 (8145 views)

Shortcut

Actually, they mostly do sandwiches at Panino's, and then add a few entrees onto the menu each day. Her sandwiches are generally very good, and I think they even claim to have a pastrami sandwich, but I've never had the nerve to order that.

By the way, I meant to mention. I drove the Ocotlán highway in both directions a couple weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all. I've been on it when it's absolute hell, but several times when it's not terrible. (Or maybe I've just gotten used to it.) It's always a roll of the dice, but traffic is lighter, I think, if you manage to hit it between 2 and 4pm.

Hound Dog

Oct 29, 2010, 5:02 PM

Post #23 of 45 (8133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

We went to Roberto´s yesterday for lunch specifically to see if his Chinese luncheon items were authentic or at least tasty. We tried the mu shoo pork and a chopped chicken lettuce wrap. Neither dish was particularñy good nor was either dish particularly bad. The mu shoo pork was not even remotely mu shoo pork but it was flavorful if inauthentic. The lettuce wrap was tasteless and dull. Clearly the chef at Roberto´s has no concept of Chinese cuisine. Precisely what we expected. However, I must say that the lunch was modestly successful. The fact that the dishes were served on a bed of fried rice indicated that the chef has no idea what he is doing but, despite that fact, the food was tasty if completely off the wall. Sort of like a tasty meal at Taco Bell in Sacramento when one is seeking tacos. Not bad but nothing even remotely authentic. That´s OK with me. For instance, I moved to Mexico and settled in Ajijic which is as Mexican as Boyes Hot Springs. I can live with that. Authenticity does not always indicate excellence.

It would be nice if Roberto could induce his chef to throw in some hoisin sauce to make his mu shoo pork resemble something close to its origin. And, what´s with the fried rice? Talk about low class.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Oct 29, 2010, 5:05 PM)

Peter

Oct 29, 2010, 7:10 PM

Post #24 of 45 (8106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] LUNCH at ROBERTO'S Restaurant in Ajijic - Review

Thanks, helpful information all around. I think I'll deviate from my norm and breeze into town on a Monday afternoon. If I can get there enough before four I can grab a pastrami as I enter town and have the extra fine supreme cut chicken-fried steak the next day. Excellent!

Anonimo

Oct 30, 2010, 12:52 AM

Post #25 of 45 (8084 views)

Shortcut

I do not believe there is anywhere in a town as sophisticated as Morelia that serves chicken-fried steak. Can you believe it?

"Milanesas"?

Saludos,
Anonimo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4