Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Maxmilliano

Oct 27, 2010, 8:10 AM

Post #1 of 21 (10989 views)

Shortcut

Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Narco violence has reared its' ugly head in Bucerias, Nayarit (Riviera Nayarit). Foreigners visiting and living in this area are mostly ignorant of what is happening or prefer to live in denial. In consideration of the violent crime wave that has been ongoing in Tepic the capital of Nayarit recently it was only a matter of time for it to surface in the area.

http://www.noticiasdenayarit.com/...id=42&Itemid=125

JRinPV

Oct 27, 2010, 8:45 AM

Post #2 of 21 (10968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maxmilliano] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

Bucerias ?
No mention of it in the article.

Maxmilliano

Oct 27, 2010, 8:51 AM

Post #3 of 21 (10964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

It's the title of the article "Balacera en Bucerías deja un muerto", other references to Bahia de Banderas in the article.

Casa

Oct 27, 2010, 8:52 AM

Post #4 of 21 (10960 views)

Shortcut

I am unclear where the item below happened.... PV or Maz or somewhere in between..... anyone know or have additional info ?

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/...26/?hub=EdmontonHome

chinagringo

Oct 27, 2010, 9:33 AM

Post #5 of 21 (10940 views)

Shortcut

Tuesday appears to have been a day of incidents down in the coastal area. In the article, it is also mentioned an action that happened in the Mismaloya area south of PV. Interestingly, back on Sunday, Oct. 10th, there was a "hit" at the El Nagalito Restaurant. This incident was discussed on a PV forum:
http://www.vallartascene.com/....php?f=2&t=15988
With one member making a casual comment that made reference of restaurants being run by narcos. This comment resulted in denials by those appearing to be in the know. Yesterday, the owner of said restaurant was captured and named as the "Principal Operator" for the Sinaloa Cartel in the PV area:
http://www.informador.com.mx/...-puerto-vallarta.htm

At the very least, one of the members who voiced denials manned up and admitted that he had been wrong!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

donemry

Oct 27, 2010, 9:35 AM

Post #6 of 21 (10940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Casa] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

The article says just outside Matzatlan

sioux4noff

Oct 30, 2010, 8:42 AM

Post #7 of 21 (10804 views)

Shortcut

Almost everyone in Bucerias knew of the shootings soon after they happened the other day. A car chase was taking place on hihway 200, heading southbound through Bucerias. One of the cars was running a red light and crashed into another car. After the wreck, all the "bad guys" got out of their vehices and began a foot chase towards the beach in bucerias. The person who was killed was shot near the beach. All suspects fled, and were ursued and some (maybe all?) were caught.
Along Hwy 200 north of Bucerias, prio to the crash, a grenade was thrown at a pursuing police car causing minima damage to the car and no injury to the police officer.
This happened in Bucerias purely due to the chance happening of the car wreck at the traffic kight. Not saying there is no crime or no drugs in Bucerias, I'm just clarifying that this particulatr incident didn't really have anything to do with Bucerias except our bad luck for it to happen here.

leegleze

Oct 31, 2010, 2:57 PM

Post #8 of 21 (10675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

Well said, Sioux. As I understand it, both vehicles were travelling from Tepic to PV. The grenade was thrown once the police caught up with them somewhere near San Pancho or Sayulita. The two cars, along with the police, continued the chase through Bucerias, where the crash happened. And then, the events that Sioux described ensued. One bad guy was killed on the beach, and the others were taken into custody. Period. End of story. It just so happens that the incident occurred on the highway through Bucerias. None of those involved live or carry on "business" in the area.
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

Peter

Oct 31, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #9 of 21 (10667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

It is refreshing to hear you don't have any resident bad guys. As long as they were just passing through you can rest easier knowing the incident doesn not technically tarish the reputation of your pueblito.

As long as nothing happens where I have MY head buried then no pasa nada.

sioux4noff

Oct 31, 2010, 5:23 PM

Post #10 of 21 (10640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

Peter, maybe you missed this part of what I said:

Not saying there is no crime or no drugs in Bucerias, I'm just clarifying that this particular incident didn't really have anything to do with Bucerias except our bad luck for it to happen here.

We have our share of ne'er-do-wells, this case just didn't involve them. Don't read things into what I wrote which aren't there.

leegleze

Oct 31, 2010, 6:32 PM

Post #11 of 21 (10624 views)

Shortcut

Peter, I guess the difference between us is that I prefer not to live my life furtively looking over my shoulder for something bad that might happen, and dwell on it until it makes me paranoid. I read both English and Mexican newspapers, and take special interest in such happenings as they relate to me. I chose to live in Paradise and, as long as I associate with good people and take a few extra precautions with my personal security, the likelihood that trouble will find me is very small indeed. Instead of waking up every morning being afraid to go outside, I wake up eager to experience my idea of Paradise. It's much less stressful, thank you.
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

Rolly

Oct 31, 2010, 7:02 PM

Post #12 of 21 (10615 views)

Shortcut

I'm with you Roxie.

Rolly Pirate

Reefhound

Oct 31, 2010, 7:38 PM

Post #13 of 21 (10603 views)

Shortcut

I've never seen Peter as one who is looking over his shoulder in paranoia, kinda remarkable to me since smoking pot back in college always made me too paranoid to enjoy the buzz. Rather I think he was just pointing out a relatively unique form of denial. Instead of the usual "yeah there's violence in Mexico, but not where I'm at so I'm not worried", now we have "yeah there's violence where I'm at, but the perps aren't from here so I'm not worried".

One can say it is a matter of fate that a place suffered a violent act but one could also say it is a matter of fate that a place was spared a violent act on any given day.

La Isla

Oct 31, 2010, 7:59 PM

Post #14 of 21 (10592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

In Reply To

One can say it is a matter of fate that a place suffered a violent act but one could also say it is a matter of fate that a place was spared a violent act on any given day.

And how does that attitude help keep those of us who live here on an even keel. Are we supposed to keep wondering what unpleasant surprise fate has in store for us? I´m with leegleze and Rolly on this one.

Reefhound

Oct 31, 2010, 8:07 PM

Post #15 of 21 (10588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

I didn't realize what I said represented an attitude.

If your primary purpose is to believe whatever you want to believe regardless of reality in order to remain on an "even keel", does that not fit the definition of "head in the sand"? Hey, if that's what you need to do to cope then so be it. But why do people who do that get so defensive and uptight over "head in the sand" remarks?

sioux4noff

Oct 31, 2010, 8:31 PM

Post #16 of 21 (10580 views)

Shortcut

Reefhound, where did I say I was or was not worried about anything?

Reefhound

Oct 31, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #17 of 21 (10577 views)

Shortcut

Where did I reply to you or suggest whether you are or are not worried?

I'm out.

Bennie García

Oct 31, 2010, 8:45 PM

Post #18 of 21 (10576 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I didn't realize what I said represented an attitude.

If your primary purpose is to believe whatever you want to believe regardless of reality in order to remain on an "even keel", does that not fit the definition of "head in the sand"? Hey, if that's what you need to do to cope then so be it. But why do people who do that get so defensive and uptight over "head in the sand" remarks?

No one says they are ignoring reality. In fact one poster above said quite clearly that by taking precautions etc the odds of something happening would be reduced. But because she doesn't adopt your chicken little attitude you criticize others that choose to approach a bad situation in a different manner. Like constant worry will keep the boogie man away. With what appears to be your natural inclination towards paranoia no wonder you couldn't handle a toke or two.

And don't pull this disingenuous crap that telling others they have their heads in the sand is a criticism that should be gracefully accepted.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Oct 31, 2010, 9:15 PM)

Peter

Oct 31, 2010, 9:13 PM

Post #19 of 21 (10565 views)

Shortcut

It just so happens that the incident occurred on the highway through Bucerias. None of those involved live or carry on "business" in the area.

Pardon. I just thought I detected a note of hometown pride in the mix.

I can't afford to pay attention to what happens everywhere. The head in the sand comment was direct at myself. If it doesn't happen where I bury MY head then no pasa nada.

That it was "just passing through" must be somewhat of a relief. That it can happen anywhere is horrifying enough. That something happened close to you is shocking. My condolences.

yucatandreamer

Oct 31, 2010, 9:55 PM

Post #20 of 21 (10558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Narco Violence In Bahia de Banderas

Here in the Yucatan it has been made very clear by both the local papers and my neighbors that all crime except the smallest incidents are perpetrated by people who are not from here. Therefore I rarely fear for my safety unless of course I can tell that a person is from somewhere else. Then like any good Yucateco I become extremely suspicious.

Occasionally a family member will hack his relative up with a machete but that is almost always done under the influence of alcohol or witchcraft or both.

Maxmilliano

Nov 1, 2010, 1:55 PM

Post #21 of 21 (10476 views)

Shortcut

This all boils down to risk assessment. I try to stay informed of the risk and then decide if I have the tolerance for it or not. I make a point to know what is going on in the country and especially in my general area. Visiting and living in Mexico is not for the faint hearted, it’s for the more adventurous types.

I’m not living in paranoia but I am aware of the risks and take normal precautions.
Many of the foreigners visiting and living in Mexico are ignorant of what is going on in the country or are in denial of the extent of the problem. There is no place in Mexico that is immune to or exempt from this type of violence. There are risks here that you can’t equate to risks in your hometown USA which I often see as a rebuttal to crime risks in Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4