Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Camille

Oct 23, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #1 of 10 (8021 views)

Shortcut

Another FM3 question

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know I can't get a replacement FM3 at a consulate in the states, but can I get a letter saying I have one, albeit a lost one? I dread the idea of pulling a trailer across the border with a tourist visa.

Rolly

Oct 23, 2010, 4:22 PM

Post #2 of 10 (7964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Another FM3 question

Go to the consulate and ask them. Phone calls and e-mails almost never get answered.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Oct 23, 2010, 4:28 PM

Post #3 of 10 (7954 views)

Shortcut

Hello Camille,

You have to ask at the Consulate but I doubt it very much. The first thing you are supposed to do is report the loss or the theft to the local police where you live. They will then give you a document outlining the circumstances. That document is then supposed to be taken to the Immigration office where you live and then you go through the process of getting a new Rentista, No Inmigrante document (with all its attendant paperwork and its cost.

So the key seems to be whether the Consulate can work without that police report.

As ever, jerezano.

Camille

Oct 23, 2010, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7934 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Another FM3 question

YOW! You mean I have to pay the fees again?

chinagringo

Oct 23, 2010, 6:53 PM

Post #5 of 10 (7922 views)

Shortcut

If you lose your US Passport - do they give you another one for free?

Does all of this apprehension have anything to do with a vehicle permit and the trailer you were jockeying around with before heading north?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Camille

Oct 23, 2010, 7:06 PM

Post #6 of 10 (7910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Another FM3 question

I honestly don't know, and of course! What I'm bringing in the trailer is the last of my grandmother's furniture and some equipment for my new business, provisioning sailing yachts in Nuevo Vallarta and La Cruz, so I'd much rather enter with something that says I have the FM3 Lucrativo than try to pull off a trailer ful of problemas.

esperanza

Oct 23, 2010, 7:38 PM

Post #7 of 10 (7898 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
YOW! You mean I have to pay the fees again?

Yes'm, you do.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Camille

Oct 23, 2010, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 10 (7893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Another FM3 question

How does one make money when one's first instinct is always wrong? I swear, swimming the Rio Caloso four times was easier than dealing with the stupid loss of the FM3.....

Sunnyvmx

Oct 24, 2010, 3:37 AM

Post #9 of 10 (7861 views)

Shortcut

When you change your FM3 to another that allows you to operate your business, you will be paying more fees. It's possible you are putting the cart before the horse here and your paperwork needs to be in order before bringing the trailer in with the business inventory.

jerezano

Oct 24, 2010, 7:20 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Another FM3 question

Hello all,

Neil asked:>>>>
If you lose your US Passport - do they give you another one for free? <<<<<<<

Absolutely not. You have to go through the entire process of applying for a new passport with all its attendant fees. And you must report that loss of your passport to the local police here in Mexico first. Without that report the Consulate (at least here in Monterrey) would do nothing. From personal experience.

As ever, jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Oct 24, 2010, 7:25 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4