Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Guanajuato Gringa

Oct 18, 2010, 12:24 PM

Post #1 of 10 (10201 views)

Shortcut

Funny Border Crossing

| Private Reply
I crossed at Juarez 2 years ago. Before I left Minnesota I checked the Mexican government websites to learn what the requirements were for crossing with a dog, a cat and a minor child not traveling with both parents. In a car I intended to import legally once I made it across.
So, I spent a LOT of money and time researching all of this and getting the health certificates for the animals and the travel consent from my sons father.
I get to the check point, all of my papers in hand, ready to comply and be in compliance! He opens the back gate and asks me what is in the box. I say Christmas ornaments and he laughs and closes the door.
He comes back to my window and I try again to hand him my fluff of papers and passports. He says "Andelay (sp) guerra, bien viaje". Go blondie, have a nice trip. Just didn't want to see my stuff no matter how hard I tried.
So, that was nice until I sent my son back to the States. At the airport in Mexico City Mexican immigration extorted 6 mil pesos from me because my son had not DOE stamp in his passport and as such was here illegaly. Now how did that happen? Could it have actually been their fault to begin with? I tried to get a stamp. I really did!
Isn't that a scream? ONE illegal gringo and they extort you at the border/airport. How many illegals in Gringolandia? You see my point I am sure.
GTO Gringa
PS. Hi Puppy! Encounter any evil commie dictators today?

Peter

Oct 18, 2010, 2:10 PM

Post #2 of 10 (10180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guanajuato Gringa] Funny Border Crossing

| Private Reply
At the airport in Mexico City Mexican immigration extorted 6 mil pesos from me because my son had not DOE stamp in his passport and as such was here illegaly. Now how did that happen? Could it have actually been their fault to begin with? I tried to get a stamp. I really did!

Isn't that a scream? ONE illegal gringo and they extort you at the border/airport. How many illegals in Gringolandia? You see my point I am sure.

GTO Gringa

PS. Hi Puppy! Encounter any evil commie dictators today?

Your son had a visitor's visa but no passport stamp? And you don't either? INM didn't have any problems with your entry and exit stamps. If you haven't renewed lately they may get a little more sticky next time around.

They do not always make it easy to do what you need to do nor give you much information about what you need when you need it. That's YOUR responsibility. They'll tell you that much. They will fine you for not having all those things, or not, just depends.

You can pay fines for not knowing the rules they make up. Or if they are part of the evil commie dictator machine you can call it extortion if you prefer.

What was your point exactly?

Guanajuato Gringa

Oct 18, 2010, 2:30 PM

Post #3 of 10 (10174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Funny Border Crossing

| Private Reply
Peter, My point? I think it was self explanatory. A little humorous or at least odd. We had no visa of any sort. We weren't traveling to darkest North Korea. Just entering Mexico, by land. I have not been back and don't plan to anytime soon. If I am here for 100 years and am even once asked for my papers or to explain my being here I will feed my cat to an evil commie dictator! Won't happen, ever.
They didn't stamp my sons passport or mine. They looked at nothing, not even the paperwork for importing live animals. I don't even think he noticed the 100 pound dog in the back of the truck. He told me to go. So, I went.
Then, when it was time for my son to leave we could not prove how long he had been here because there was no DOE stamp so the assumption was made that he had overstayed a visitors visa at least and was fined the maximum. Which, that day, was 6 mil.
If the border agent in Juarez had done HIS job that wouldn't have happened. I suppose that is my point.
I hope they weren't evil commie dictators. They scare me and I hear they are very mean to puppies.

Peter

Oct 18, 2010, 2:55 PM

Post #4 of 10 (10164 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Peter, My point? I think it was self explanatory. A little humorous or at least odd. We had no visa of any sort. We weren't traveling to darkest North Korea. Just entering Mexico, by land. I have not been back and don't plan to anytime soon. If I am here for 100 years and am even once asked for my papers or to explain my being here I will feed my cat to an evil commie dictator! Won't happen, ever.
They didn't stamp my sons passport or mine. They looked at nothing, not even the paperwork for importing live animals. I don't even think he noticed the 100 pound dog in the back of the truck. He told me to go. So, I went.
Then, when it was time for my son to leave we could not prove how long he had been here because there was no DOE stamp so the assumption was made that he had overstayed a visitors visa at least and was fined the maximum. Which, that day, was 6 mil.
If the border agent in Juarez had done HIS job that wouldn't have happened. I suppose that is my point.
I hope they weren't evil commie dictators. They scare me and I hear they are very mean to puppies.

So you are here as an illegal alien, and the government is not doing its job because they haven't caught you yet? If and when they do you may have another example to file that under worst-case scenarios. It may go OK with a little more "extortion" money demanded but it can get much worse than that.

I only made one land crossing and it was on a different route than you took, but at that station a few miles inside the border is where you should have parked, gone inside, and taken care of all your paperwork to continue on into the interior of Mexico.

If you are lucky you may make it back into the border region where you can claim you just arrived and do things the proper way. Or not. I suppose if I find myself someday deported I may want to try your method, it sounds like a lot less BS to go through. I have only been asked for my "papers" on a couple occasions but I have all of them in proper order so do not know what would happen if I didn't. If I had to "lay low" in Mexico it would certainly restrict the way I do things and where I go, but for the most part no one seems to care where or what I am.

If you are some young "gringa" living closely on your parents' coattails you may find your "casual" status OK and whaterver "extortion money" you have to pay to be less than getting your visa each year, if you even qualify which seems doubtful for anything other than for a tourist permit.

Who knows, you may be gone before anyone discovers you are here, or not.

Bennie García

Oct 18, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #5 of 10 (10164 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You were supposed to document your entry and that of your vehicle at the border. That is your responsibility. You simply read the signs at the border point of entry and follow the arrows into Immigration and Customs. The responsibility of the immigration and customs officials is to issue papers to those who present themselves at the border and check your papers before they allow you to leave the zona fronteriza. It is odd that no one asked to see your paperwork when you arrived at the 25k checkpoint.

And you are the experienced world traveler we are supposed to take seriously? get over yourself.

(This post was edited by Bennie García on Oct 18, 2010, 3:05 PM)

Guanajuato Gringa

Oct 18, 2010, 3:33 PM

Post #6 of 10 (10149 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Funny Border Crossing

| Private Reply
The checkpoint at the end of the Free Zone funnels everyone through. There is no escape. You pull up and stop and if you get a greenlight, you keep going. If red they pull you aside for more thorough examination. At the bridge we had to get out of the car and go into a little building and push a button. If the light turned green you just go. I got green. Both times.

Like I said, if I am here 100 years and am ever once asked to explain myself immigration wise, I will feed my cat to an evil commie dictator. Won't happen, ever.

My dad was with me but in his own car. He came up to cross with me because he didn't want me doing it alone. Anyway, once in Juarez he found one of those vehicle importation broker guys and we imported my Blazer. Cost like 500-600 US. Don't remember exactly how much. But, we did it and paid it and the car at least was legal.

Doesn't even matter now because that truck has long since been sold. And in this town everyone drives around on Utah, Ohio, and so on, tags that expired 4 years ago. Point being I could have easily sold the truck here without paying the importation fee/tax/extortion at the border. Happens everyday. No one cares, including transito, and license plates seem to be optional in this town.

The truck was legal Bennie so calm down before you hurt yourself. Hope that clears it up for you. Perhaps you should take yourself less seriously Bennie, God knows I do. That said, I will try to be more responsible in my world travels if only to please you. And do tell amigito, have you ever done it yourself? Driven over the border with your Mexican dad and imported a car while importing live animals and a child? On your way to a new life in a new country and filled with uncertainty? I just bet I know the answer to that. I am over myself. Do me a solid and get over yourself......

Guanajuato Gringa

Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM

Post #7 of 10 (10143 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"So you are here as an illegal alien, and the government is not doing its job because they haven't caught you yet?"
What are you a cop? My parents coattails? I am 44 years old and live in the same town as my parents. I refer to them often because they are a big part of my life. They do not support me despite your numerous insinuations that they do. And how on earth would that be any of your business? My God you people take everything too serious (or pretend like it is serious) and way too far.
I am a CFNP and I work here. In fact the medical community welcomes me and are glad to have me because I provide a much needed service. I am on a first name basis with the lab girls and in the farmacias.
I will never be challenged by immigration if only for the simple reason that I really don't exist on paper here. That is nothing done on purpose or with intent to defraud anyone. It is just the way it happened.
And are they doing their job? You tell me. My opinion is that they couldn't catch their own ass with both hands, but thats just me.
I am not hurting anyone. I have a large loving family and too many friends to count. My patients love me and depend on me and in spite of some bad scary stuff that has happened I do enjoy my life here. For a pretty blue eyed blonde it is almost like being a rock star.
Thank you for asking.

Peter

Oct 18, 2010, 4:19 PM

Post #8 of 10 (10135 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
And how on earth would that be any of your business?

Presenting yourself here on a public forum and making some fairly bold assertions does kind of lend itself to speculation. If nothing else your stories and demeanor have been "curious." Basically you have invited me into your home.

Bear in mind that you do not know whether or not I am a "cop" but I know enough about you I could most likely drive into your pueblo this week, visit some of the sites, have fun in a couple cantinas, do a little walking around and talking to people, then walk right up to you, if I felt so inclined, which I don't BTW. That could give you an idea of why you find yourself and friends as part of some interesting crime statistics.

You tell me you are an illegal alien working illegally in Mexico. If I were a cop or a crook I might find all that very interesting. I believe you could be very interesting with stories of travel and your life in Mexico and would love to hear about them and more of your impressions. But I am more inclined to suggest you take a couple parting shots at me for being so bold, then ease out soft and slow hoping to be soon forgotten, and in a few days or weeks come back with a new name and a new story - one a little more discrete.

Guanajuato Gringa

Oct 18, 2010, 4:42 PM

Post #9 of 10 (10126 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am almost at a loss for words. I am hurting no one. I work everyday and help people. I make a difference in the quality of health care to people who otherwise might not have it. I have spent 13, 20, 18 hours helping poor women deliver their babies at home. If it wasn't for me they would have done it alone, again. Tell me if you know some stuck up Mexican doctor who would do that? Once I took a sack of peaches as payment. It isn't about the money or being legal or illegal. It is about helping people. Educating them and trying to improve their circumstance. I am a strong believer that birth control education is the key to a lot of what ails this country.

I make a difference. Birth control and sex education are high on my list. A local doctor and myself are currently writing the curriculum, text and teaching materials for the new sex education program that is being developed for GTO public school system.

I live my life here trying to make some small difference to help these people. Not to sit on my computer and lord over other site members about who crossed the border first or better.

I make no endevour to hide because I am not hiding from anyone or anything. I am a well known and liked figure in this town. I am a much loved and the only white/gringa/guerra part of a old and respected family. My abuelita loves me with such passion it just blows my mind. I gave her her flu shot today and that made her happy. They opened their arms and their homes and accepted me as one of them in an instant when I decided I to move here. With no qualification.

Plus, I couldn't hide if I tried. My dog got lost in the street and the cops brought him home, TWICE. People like me. I won't come back with a new story because my story is what it is. People pretending to be what they are not makes the world a poorer place.

You could come to SJI and find me? So could anyone else who wanted to. Everyone knows where la gringa lives. It is not a secret. What does that make you? The senior stalker weirdo on this forum?

I will deliver your baby, stitch up your finger, vaccinate your children or neuter your cat. I do it competently and cheap. Because that is the kind of person I am. An out in the open, in your face gringa who only wants to live in peace with less crime in her little town. People with clean hearts and souls who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. Just remember that.

It has been a struggle at times. And I have strong opinions that I am not afraid to share. Truly, my only regret is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. And you know what Peter? I don't give a shit if you are a cop or not. And shame on you for trying to make me "nervous" or whatever that was.

Only sad, lonely, small people enjoy the suffering or misfortune of others. A feather out of my ass does not look good in your hat.

esperanza

Oct 18, 2010, 5:08 PM

Post #10 of 10 (10121 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Speaking of 'at a loss for words': this thread is far far far from where it started. If I see evidence that another thread goes this direction, I will delete it and take other, more drastic measures.

I have already deleted one entire thread on this forum. Please, folks, act like adults.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4