Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Elenna

Oct 15, 2010, 10:55 PM

Post #1 of 7 (11709 views)

Shortcut

Hot Dog Appitizer

Can't Post | Private Reply
My Aunt lives in Mexico (near Cancun). She made a hot dog appetizer for us in Canada that was delicious, but I didn't write down the proportions.

It had cut up (good quality) hot dogs, some garlic, chipotle in adobo (maybe 1 pepper?), and the mexican cream (proper name escapes me!).

She sauteed the hot dog slices until lightly browned and added the garlic briefly. She then added in whipping cream (in place of the mexican cream since she couldn't find the good stuff) and pepper.

She then heated up the mixture and reduced a bit, and served.

The sauce was spicy and creamy, and over hot dogs!

If anyone has heard of this recipe, I would love a "proper" name and some proportions so we can make it here!

sioux4noff

Oct 25, 2010, 8:08 PM

Post #2 of 7 (11584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elenna] Hot Dog Appitizer

I knew this was not a traditional Mexcan thing when you said (good quality) hot dogs. That, IMO, is a Mexican oxymoron. I haven't found a Mexican hot dog anywhere near as good as the Kirkland ones sold in Costco.
Any suggestions of brands/ types that are good?

Peter

Oct 25, 2010, 9:28 PM

Post #3 of 7 (11573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Hot Dog Appitizer

...you said (good quality) hot dogs. That, IMO, is a Mexican oxymoron.

I used to be in complete agreement. Perhaps it is because I have not left Mexico in over three years and have gotten used to the hot dogs here, or maybe I have just stumbled onto ones I like, but now I like the hot dogs I have been buying.

I was surprised to find the ones I was served and liked were salchichas de pavo and we have been buying San Rafael brand and enjoying them. I thought by avoiding those labelled "Vienna" I would be avoiding the ones that taste and have the texture of vienna sausages but that is not correct either, I have been served some of those I liked as well. It seems as though I have tried a number of different varieties of Mexican hot dogs I like now but I am reluctant to name any other brands.

Any of the coctail "weenies" I've tried have had good flavor and texture. There are the salchichas para asar that are more the size of Polish sausages so don't really count as hot dogs per se. They look like they ought to be hot links but are not hot, which is somewhat a disappointment. They work good in large bakery type buns as a fancy sausage sandwich or sliced up and served with sauce.

I shop Costco rather infrequently and have never tried the Kirkland brand. I am reluctant to do so or I might just lose the taste I have acquired for Mexican hot dogs now. I am not sure that I may have avoided those brands I had tried early-on and didn't like or if I now have acquired the taste. Either way I don't want to jinx it.

Authentic Mexican Recipes

Apr 1, 2011, 11:14 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Hot Dog Appitizer

In Reply To
...I am reluctant to do so or I might just lose the taste I have acquired for Mexican hot dogs now. I am not sure that I may have avoided those brands I had tried early-on and didn't like or if I now have acquired the taste. Either way I don't want to jinx it.

hahaha! This made me laugh, but in all seriousness I know you mean. I've been in the country almost exclusively for the past 3 years myself and my taste buds seem to have adapted to foods that I initially was not too fond of... When I do leave the country for the occasional blip here and there, I notice this mostly unconscious desire to avoid eating the my old favorites out of some kind of fear I'll get used to THEM again and lose my taste for the newly quired local dishes (and yes, the hot dogs) in Nayarit and Jalisco... heh.

Cooking authentic Mexican recipes, be it tacos, Mexican beans, or any dish for that matter, is sure way to put a smile on your guests' face.

Anonimo

Apr 2, 2011, 3:33 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Hot Dog Appitizer

The Bafar brand of Mexican hot dogs, (especially their Polish Sausage) is better than most.

Still, I prefer the Kirkland Hot Dogs or the Johnsonville range of sausages, available at Costco, Sam's and better stores.

I'm a Brooklyn born boy, and I grew up on garlic scented, juicy Kosher hot dogs heaped with steaming sauerkraut, squirted with spicy brown mustard.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

mazbook1

Apr 2, 2011, 2:51 PM

Post #6 of 7 (8760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Hot Dog Appitizer

The best I've found here in Mazatlán (no CostCo!) is the Chorizo Argentino (no relation in any way to any chorizo made in México) pork and beef sausage sold by Sam's Club. Lightly fried or microwaved (it's precooked) with spicy brown or Dijon mustard (Sam's Club has an excellent Dijon mustard from France), these sausages are mild and delicious. Much better than the Johnsonville offerings IMHO. Since no Jewish rye bread (or even German) is available here in Mazatlán, I make do with Bimbo Multigrano, a poor but acceptable substitute.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Apr 2, 2011, 2:53 PM)

La Isla

Apr 2, 2011, 3:05 PM

Post #7 of 7 (8755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Hot Dog Appitizer

In Reply To

I'm a Brooklyn born boy, and I grew up on garlic scented, juicy Kosher hot dogs heaped with steaming sauerkraut, squirted with spicy brown mustard.

I´m not Brooklyn-born, but I did live there for 13 years before moving to Mexico in 2007. Your description of how a proper hot dog tastes and smells has my mouth watering!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4