Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

dmhaun

Oct 15, 2010, 5:46 AM

Post #1 of 4 (10033 views)

Shortcut

Day of the Dead around Lake Patzcuaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
It is believed by many that death does not represent the end of life but the continuation of life in a parallel world. One day, each year, the dead return to their homes, carried by the winds. The spirits need help finding their way home and they must be made welcome. A door from the underworld is made with an arch of marigold flowers. The spirits arrive hungry, so their favorite foods are offered. They also arrive very thirsty and far too sober for the celebrations. And, of course, the foods and drinks are shared with everyone.
Wherever you are in Mexico, but especially around Lake Patzcuaro, there are celebrations for Día de Muertos. Every village has their own celebrations with parades, markets, concerts, exhibitions, ceremonies and dances.
The famed Day of the Dead Artisans market begins Saturday, October 30 at Pátzcuaro’s Plaza Grande. Arrive early to get the best pieces of Ocumicho fantasy ceramic sculpture. If you see something you like, get it, since it will probably not be there when you return.
Day of the Dead flower market is usually located on the south side of the Basílica on Calle Serrato. I love the intoxicating aroma from the glorious mounds of cempazuchitl (marigolds) and maroon-colored mota de obispo (cock’s comb).
The library, Biblioteca Gertrudis Bocanegra, on Plaza Chica has several exhibits for Day of the Dead. The Noche de Muertos Catrina exhibit and sale of the famous figurines from Capula opens the evening of 30 October. Also at the Library is the exhibit of the altars and offerings for Night of the Dead that are traditional in the Lake Pátzcuaro region, opening November 1.
Don’t miss the arrival of caballeros and caballeras riding into Pátzcuaro’s Basílica de la Vírgen de la Salud courtyard on horses, ponies and burros just before dusk for a special mass. It is a thrilling sight.
For those who want to really enjoy the tradition and beauty of Day of the Dead, arrive in Tzintzuntzan late afternoon and visit the artisan fair to see local pottery and crafts. Then go to the cemetery to view the ofrendas and watch the magic as the sun goes down and the light of the candles takes over. If you miss the Tzintzuntzan cemetery that night, don’t worry. Visit the next day to see the incredible ofrendas.
Janitzio Island is the site of one of Mexico's most celebrated Day of the Dead observances. Each year on Nov. 1, islanders and their neighbors take to their boats to enact a candlelight ritual, the flames reflected in the water, the boats laden with flowers and the boaters chanting. Breathtaking.
Around Lake Patzcuaro, in any city, town or village with a cemetery, either Morelia or the tiny village of Erongaricuaro, there will be beautiful Día de Muertos celebrations. If you attend, be ready to celebrate. You never know who might arrive on a gust of wind for a visit.
Feliz viaje, David
The Michoacan Net
Supporting the Arts in Michoacan
http://www.LakePatzcuaro.org

Sunnyvmx

Oct 16, 2010, 4:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (9978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dmhaun] Day of the Dead around Lake Patzcuaro

Thank you so much for this post. I signed up for this tour out of Ajijic and now I'm more excited than I was. I sent it on to family and friends who thought I had really gone over the top. Now they will appreciate the Mexican people with more understanding and realize it's not just another Halloween party.

esperanza

Oct 16, 2010, 4:51 PM

Post #3 of 4 (9924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Day of the Dead around Lake Patzcuaro

A preview (all photos taken November 2, 2009) of Noche de Muertos in Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán:

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...C3%A1n-cemetery.html

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

dmhaun

Oct 16, 2010, 7:52 PM

Post #4 of 4 (9895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Day of the Dead around Lake Patzcuaro

Thank you for the kind words. After re-reading what I wrote, I realized I forgot the number one INSIDER'S PICK for Day of the Dead around Lake Patzcuaro. Feliz viaje, David

About four miles west of Patzcuaro, in Santa Ana Chapitiro, is the Temple for Santa Muerte, a sacred figure venerated in Mexico since the pre-Columbian era. Santa Muerte generally appears as a skeletal figure, clad in a long robe and carrying one or more objects, usually a scythe and a globe. The saint can be seen in the celebration of the Day of the Dead.
According to Wikipedia, the use of skeletons is to remind people of their mortality. It is believed that Santa Muerte is very powerful and is reputed to grant many favors.
The Centro de Veneracion in Chapitiro has the gold dome and is located on the Lake side of the road. The Temple is beautiful and we took many photos of the Santa Muerte statues and altars. It is open daily from 8:30am to 9:30pm and visitors are welcome.
Next to the Temple is Abarrotes Las Carolinas. Miguel Gerardo welcomed us and suggested we look around. He explained to us in perfect English about the Temple and suggested we take a look. The back of the abarrotes features Santa Muerte. Here is Miguel’s website for the Santa Muerte Temple.
http://santamuertesantaana.com/

The Michoacan Net
Supporting the Arts in Michoacan
http://www.LakePatzcuaro.org

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4