Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Oct 15, 2010, 4:49 AM

Post #1 of 10 (20624 views)

Shortcut

China-Mexico Fusion Returns

Can't Post | Private Reply
This time, in a new Las Vegas, NV restaurant, led by Chef José Andrés.
Does it work? Read about it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/...dres.html?ref=dining

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Hound Dog

Oct 15, 2010, 7:00 AM

Post #2 of 10 (20614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

China-Mexico Fusion Returns by Anonimo

¡Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh! by Dawg

esperanza

Oct 15, 2010, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 10 (20606 views)

Shortcut

The only thing that works in this restaurant is the name of his cake: Tres Lychees. Very clever name, incredibly lousy idea for a restaurant. Sheesh.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Oct 15, 2010, 10:11 AM

Post #4 of 10 (20589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

I am thinking, "What's cooked in Las Vegas should stay in Las Vegas."

The concept seems more than a little precious.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Bennie García

Oct 15, 2010, 11:59 AM

Post #5 of 10 (20573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

In Reply To
incredibly lousy idea for a restaurant. Sheesh.

Well I don't know. Someone with 6 million bucks thinks it will fly. Maybe the kid from the Hole in One could show them some tricks?

Rolly

Oct 15, 2010, 1:46 PM

Post #6 of 10 (20559 views)

Shortcut

The description in the article does not excite me at all. On the other hand,
Chef José Andrés has a reputation as a very innovative and successful guy
who just might pull it off. Time will tell.

Rolly Pirate

Peter

Oct 15, 2010, 2:52 PM

Post #7 of 10 (20550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

A number of factors can make or break a restaurant and just having good-tasting food alone is not always enough. I have no doubts that there are great, tasty food combinations to be had from this fusion. I have lots of ideas to try sometime and I know the people are hungry for some new flavors but breaking through culinary tradition can be a long and arduous process.

Chinese-style food goes over very well here in Mexico. There are a lot of similar techniques employed in the preparation of both varieties, breaded meats fried and served with a variety of sauces for example, tortillas and chinese pancake preparations are another. From visiting the various restaurants here one thing I see lacking is the daring and imagination to take it all a step further.

Agridulce and chinese-style rice are very popular here in Mexico and they only lack a step in either direction from certain traditional Mexican dishes. What I think the Mexican cooks can do to improve both Chinese dishes and traditional dishes is to pay more attention to textures. I feel both cuisines can benefit from a fusion if these foods were properly understood here.

As far as the chef at the Ajijic driving range, he may have learned a few things in school but photos of his foods tell me he is falling in the same trap as many who are attempting "haughty" preparations by using over-sized plates and dribbling the gratuitous chocolate and rasberry sauces over the unused portion of said plates, like that makes for fancy vittles or the vast emptiness of the plate justifies the price one pays for that dribbling.

Chef Eric easily bought into the trite and tired line about shunning "cheap fusion tricks." With the fertile ground there is to plant imaginative food preparations for a people hungry for some new tastes I don't believe he has it in him, not yet at least. Maybe that is something he can mature into.

(This post was edited by Peter on Oct 15, 2010, 4:22 PM)

Hound Dog

Oct 15, 2010, 3:25 PM

Post #8 of 10 (20548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

As far as the chef at the Ajijic driving range, he may have learned a few things in school but photos of his foods tell me he is falling in the same trap as many who are attempting "haughty" preparations by using over-sized plates and dribbling the gratuitous chocolate and rasberry sauces over the unused portion of said plates, like that makes for fancy vittles or the vast emptiness of the plate justifies the price one pays for that dribbling.

Chef Eric easily bought into the trite and tired line about shunning "cheap fusion tricks." With the fertile ground there is to plant imaginative food preparations for a people hungry for some new tastes, I don't believe he has it in him. Not yet at least; maybe that is something he can mature into.

So, tell me Peter, do you have an opinon regarding fatuous pretense? Can a chef rise above mediocrity by re-designating ordinary culinary compositions as seemingly complex concoctions using simple words in lieu of true creativity? I would rather present a french fry in the finest restaurant in Des Moines than in the most humble street kiosk in Paris. Few in Des Moines would see through my fantasy. Everyone in Paris would.

chinagringo

Oct 15, 2010, 3:34 PM

Post #9 of 10 (20543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] China-Mexico Fusion Returns

Speaking of frys:
http://www.rgj.com/.../101014013/1321/news

Makes one stop and really think about eating fast food! Watch the video.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Vichil

Oct 15, 2010, 4:57 PM

Post #10 of 10 (20531 views)

Shortcut

Celebrity chefs are big in Vegas so wether the food they produce there is good or bad is irrelevant to their success. The decor, the name and the general entertainment is all important not the taste.
Vegas is a special place, you have to love it or hate but it is different and is all show.
There is one thing Vegas is very good at: getting your money one way or the other.

(This post was edited by Vichil on Oct 15, 2010, 6:41 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4