Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Mexberry

Oct 10, 2010, 2:23 PM

Post #1 of 7 (9186 views)

Shortcut

Satellite TV

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been told that we can bring a satellite receiver and dish from Canada to use in Puerto Vallarta to get programmes from BC. A slightly larger dish has been suggested, however I would like to find out what the reception is like in PV , especially HD . Anyone with a suggestion to help this satellite novice ?
Mexberry.

chinagringo

Oct 10, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #2 of 7 (9177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexberry] Satellite TV

Mexberry:

You might go down to the "technical" section and read through numerous threads re: satellite TV options. Seems to me that there is one "expert" from the PV area, who posts.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidHF

Oct 10, 2010, 3:13 PM

Post #3 of 7 (9166 views)

Shortcut

If you have an account with StarChoice (Shaw) you can bring a reciever and dish. Contact Shaw and tell them you're going to your winter home and all will be well. You'll need the E75 dish to get HD.

rsw

Oct 11, 2010, 6:45 AM

Post #4 of 7 (9093 views)

Shortcut

We have a Canadian Shaw Direct (previously Starchoice) satellite dish and HD receiver at our place on Lake Chapala, just south of Guadalajara. We get good reception on SD and HD channels, although it can break up at times during heavy rains. That can happen in Canada also. As stated above you will need the larger E75 dish (75cm) to get aceptable signal levels in Mexico. After you have an account with Shaw, you can request a additional dish from them under their cottage program. Although it is quite possible to install and align it yourself, you should have no problem finding a satellite dealer in PV to do that for you as there are many Canadians who bring it with them to Mexico. Please note, you should buy your system in Canada and bring it with you. You may find it for sale in Mexico, but the prices will be very expensive.

(This post was edited by rsw on Oct 11, 2010, 6:47 AM)

JRinPV

Oct 11, 2010, 8:34 AM

Post #5 of 7 (9071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rsw] Satellite TV

We get HD here in PV, for installation and any other questions, suggest you contact Gary Amrine, cell 044-322-117-2471
Remember calling from the north
011-52-1-322-117-2471

Mexberry

Oct 11, 2010, 4:56 PM

Post #6 of 7 (9019 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I presume if we want local Mexican tv we can get it through cable, rather than having another dish mounted on our roof.

Peter

Oct 11, 2010, 8:35 PM

Post #7 of 7 (9000 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure PV has some broadcast tv in the area. If you have satellite service you don't need all the rest of the channels that cable has. Broadcast tv also has English which is accessible with the SAP audio signal broadcast on some channels (Azteca 7 and also ch 5 starting tomorrow when they finish their audio upgrade). SAP signals can generally be received by any tv that can receive stereo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4