RickS

Oct 9, 2010, 12:16 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4247 views)

Shortcut

Getting More and Better TV.....

Can't Post | Private Reply
.... out of a box!

See http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ml?wpisrc=nl_cuzhead

Note that there are two pages to this article.....

chinagringo

Oct 9, 2010, 12:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Getting More and Better TV.....

This week, there was some hype and enthusiasm brought on by GOOGLE announcing more details on GOOGLE TV:
http://www.google.com/tv/features.html

Unlike APPLE, who prefers to control everything related, GOOGLE has numerous partners. Since we have DISH and NETFLIX, we are interested in just how this service will work with both of them.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Oct 9, 2010, 1:12 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Getting More and Better TV.....

The problem here Rick, is bandwidth, backbone, and Max volume of downloads allowed.

Sure in Seattle, I can do it, unless I download more the 250 G per month, then I have to pay more. Right now my Comcast cable internet costs about $45 per month. If I exceed my monthly volume limits my speeds are clamped way down for the rest of the month, or I can pay $99 US per month, something I would have to do were I to get high quality TV over the internet for too many hours per month. They are now offering a package called Xfinity that apparently offers TV over the internet

My speeds average 20 Mg down by about (I can remember, but I think) 2 to 4 Mg up in Seattle. In Mexico they are a fraction of that

Mexico has very slow internet compared to the rest of the world, Thank you Carlos Slim. And the backbone would not support the increased load if too many wanted to stream video. Some ISPs are unofficially already clamping down the speed on those who use too much bandwidth. And you would use too much if you daily streamed an hour or three of high quality video, say from the US, over the Mexican backbone via your favorite Mexican ISP.

Also remember the problems created when you try to watch programs only licensed for viewing in the states when you are in Mexico.

One of these days our internet infrastructure will be ready. But I don't know when.

chinagringo

Oct 9, 2010, 1:45 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Getting More and Better TV.....

There may be some hope in that area. I just read in INFORMADOR the other day that plans were just implemented to double the size of the Internet infrastructure in Jalisco making it the largest network anywhere south of the US. In addition, there will be 8027 new broadband access points added in the greater Guadalajara area.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Oct 9, 2010, 1:59 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Getting More and Better TV.....

Hey. We will take any improvement we can get down here. Thanks for the info.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4