Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

lorirobin

Oct 7, 2010, 11:43 AM

Post #1 of 2 (4484 views)

Shortcut

Satellite Dish Types

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can someone explain to me what type of satellite dish
you would need to receive satellite TV reception?
What is the difference between C band dishes and Ku band.
Are they the same or can they be used interchangeably?
Like everyone else in Mexico, Dish Network is no longer
available in my area, Puerto Escondido without a large dish.
Large as in 2.4 meter. As far as I know, no one has tried yet
because a dish that size is not available. But if there is a chance of
it working I might bring one down this season.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Robin

johanson / Moderator

Oct 7, 2010, 1:36 PM

Post #2 of 2 (4469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lorirobin] Satellite Dish Types

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK many if not most C band dishes are at least 12 feet in diameter in Mexico. They are meant to reflect a lower frequency signal to the LNB (electronics) in front of the dish. One of the advantages of the Ku is that it is a much higher frequency, about three times as high so you need a much smaller dish (perhaps a third as large) Can you use a C band dish to pick up Ku? Usually not, because the mesh or screening that reflects the signal is much larger on a C Band dish, because the C band wavelengths are much greater in size. However should the reflective metal screen on your C band is really tight, you know smaller than a the diameter of a pencil you could get reasonable reflectivity.

Yes 2.4 meter dishes are readily available in Guadalajara and I would presume your area. But you are quite far south of us (Lake Chapala) where a 2.4 meter works quite well. And you just might not have a good signal that far south.

My home town is Seattle, so I l love the Canadian www.shawdirect.ca system which gives me my Seattle stations in HD. My dish is 26.5 by 36.5 inches and brings in a strong signal from the two satellites.

Check out their programming. There is a lot to enjoy and/or choose from

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4