Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

mexliving

Oct 5, 2010, 4:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3000 views)

Shortcut

obregon/ pemex con

Can't Post | Private Reply
i just had to comment on how everytime i visit obregon, the pemex attendants pull some type of scam... i have been a victim of the 500 peso swith for 50 peso scam..... you pay the guy with a 500 peso, he looks at you and points at the gas cap and closes the gas cap then tries to say its closed in inglish......... you think to yourself... "yes, i know its closed" and within those 15 seconds your looking at a 50 peso bill in his hand..... but since you have been driving a long time, you dont catch it and simply take the 50 and give him another 500...

last time i waited in line for the pump... as soon as they spotted the foreing person, the attendant ran to the other side of the pump areas and picked up a flat round freesbe type thing..... he was so in a hurry to bring it back.. then instead of using their so called gas key scan module to turn on pump, they used the freesbe.... i figure it sends a signal to give me less gas... i simply pulled out and went to another place..

DavidHF

Oct 5, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexliving] obregon/ pemex con

Freesbe? Frisbee? Que pasa? You really believe that?

Ustlach

Oct 6, 2010, 1:35 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2913 views)

Shortcut

I'll bet this gas station is on the northern end of town and across the road from WalMart, right?

I had almost the precise same scam pulled on me, except in my case they were using a Downs Syndrome boy to come and ask to wash the windshield at the very moment of paying for the gas in order to distract my attention while the station attendant switched the bills. In my case it was a 200 peso note that he switched for a 50.

It all happened so quickly and so smoothly that I did not even realize I had been scammed until after I drove away, was back on the road, and starting remembering what I had in my wallet in the way of peso notes. Pretty soon I figured it all out and knew I had been had.

By now, long since, I am more or less grateful for the experience, because I now keep an eagle eye on every such transaction. I am always especially watchful and careful at gas stations.

DavidHF

Oct 6, 2010, 1:53 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ustlach] obregon/ pemex con

When I am at a station I don't know, I always order a specific amount, e.g. $200 pesos, $300 pesos,etc..

mexliving

Oct 8, 2010, 2:05 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] obregon/ pemex con

thats the one..... i have to say the attendant was wearing a new vest.... i guess it makes it easy to slide the 50 peso bill..... i too drove off wondering to myself... did i just get taken... i wanted to come back and run the guy over....

and yes.. the freesbe object contains a chip that sends a signal to the pump...... short sells you on every litter.....

Bennie García

Oct 8, 2010, 5:42 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2846 views)

Shortcut

The station owner isn't going to let the attendants mess with the pumps calibration. That is done from controls in the office.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4