Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Oct 5, 2010, 12:09 PM

Post #1 of 69 (114969 views)

Shortcut

Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have resurrected two old Introduced Yourself threads and stuck them here for all to enjoy again.
Please add your own bio to this thread, so we can get to know each other better.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 5, 2010, 12:38 PM)

Azuledos

Oct 5, 2010, 6:18 PM

Post #2 of 69 (114857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Reposted here from our original 3/7/10 ¡Hola al Foro! post:

We haven't found an "Introductions" topic anywhere, so this seems to be a reasonable place to begin. Been visiting here for a few months now, and especially for some of you who post frequently, it seems like we already know you. We're still NoB, with hopes of making a move south in the next few years. With a little digging and following existing threads we've learned so much already, but there are questions we'd still like to ask. Before we jump in, it seems only fair to say something about ourselves so you'll know us a bit too.

Dan and Carmen here, currently working & residing in the Skagit Valley in Washington State, USA. Despite enjoying what we do to support ourselves here in this beautiful corner of the US, the years are catching up with us and we are considering what “retirement” might mean for us, relying solely on social security and modest savings for the years ahead of us.

Life experiences so far for Carmen are: growing up in rural Pennsylvania, training for and being a skilled hairdresser in Wisconsin, a stint making circuit boards in California, then moving to Washington State and starting/running a dairy goat farm & cheese-making business, then 15 years as a restaurant manager and another similar period as the kitchen manager & event planner for a retirement facility. She’s a life-time avid gardener, is a whiz in the kitchen, and loves her cats. Slowing down just a bit from the almost non-stoppable pace she’s applied to everything she does.

For Dan: growing up in suburban Michigan, college in New England (remembering Dr Michael Coe’s course on MesoAmerica that first interested him in the lands SoB), a few years as a travel agent & Caribbean cruise manager, several years in the Peace Corps in rural Guatemala working with a large rabbit co-op, has an MBA (HRM & Tourism), was a mail-order bookseller, built and managed our own restaurant in the North Cascades for 20 years, and now, for a similar length of time, small business consultant/tax-preparer/accountant from his home office. He’s a lifetime photographer, owner-builder/remodeler, appreciator of vernacular & alternative building techniques, planner, web & computer-tinkerer, and generalist geek. All his offspring (and theirs--he’s a grandpa to four) live in the Seattle area.

We have traveled a bit out of the country, and have each always had thoughts like “Could I move here and live happily” in some of the more agreeable areas we’ve visited over the years. But, realistically it would be nice to not stray too far from the US, to allow for occasional visits to/from family. That last sort of eliminates some spots we’ve liked in southern Europe and Mediterranean, and crossing the Pacific is just too far. South America is probably the same, although Ecuador still beckons just a little. Wherever we settle, we really want to find a spot where the snow falls only in the distance, and the garden doesn’t freeze out each winter. Not looking for the island life, so we’re probably not headed to the Caribbean, despite Dan’s past-life familiarity with that area of the world. That leaves México and Central America.

We have the most experience traveling together in México. A good number of winter vacations had us autobussing around a good bit of the country, a few times accompanied by family taking advantage of Dan’s facility with Spanish (a benefit of his stint as a PCV many decades ago in Guatemala).

We know that most North American visitors head for the beach, but salt-water & sand hold little attraction for us that doesn’t dispel in a day or two at most. Beach & resort-area life would bore us, and the Mexican coastal cities to which we’ve returned the most are Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta, probably because we can be comfortable in the old town areas. Melaque and Guayabitos/La Peñita are smaller coastal towns we’ve enjoyed.

We seem to enjoy ourselves most in the highlands, and in smaller cities and slower-paced communities where we can interact with the culture of everyday México. Cities we’ve enjoyed the most are Uruapan, Xalapa, Pátzcuaro, Dolores Hidalgo (used as a base for visiting Guanajuato & SMA), San Cristobal and Mérida. We almost bought an eight room hotel in Ixtapan de la Sal, and have managed to include this white pueblo, and the big hot springs north of town, on our many of trips. With Dan’s PCV experience to draw from, we are fairly confident about being able to adapt to a good life SoB, and to be good neighbors in any nice community.

Trying to find the “right place” means determining what characteristics a town should have for our own sense of well-being. These are on the list for us, in no way ranked in importance: A long growing season. Some topography interest & views, with mountains in the distance (maybe some snow at the top), and the salt water not too far away, would be a plus. A moderate climate, not too hot in the summer nor cold in winter. No water shortages--somewhere where rivers & streams run most of the year would be nice. Don’t mind some clouds or rain (in fact, we’d miss them if they weren’t there!). A manageable cost of living. A good internet connection. Reliable electricity. Enough home space for a large patio or small jardín for lots of flowering plants. Access to reliable, not too expensive, medical care (we’re both reasonably healthy and mobile). Close-by shops for necessities (mercado, panaderia, farmacia, ferreteria), and farther-away bigger stores for periodic stocking up. A smaller town, with access to a not too distant city (perhaps a university city) where there are urban health and some cultural resources.

We don't mind renting for a while, moving around a bit until we find the right place. But, ultimately it seems we'd want our own place, as keeping busy by growing things, building and renovating has always kept us happy and interested in life.

Seems like lots of you have found comfortable places to hang your sombreros, and we hope to have the same success.

Dan & Carmen

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

rockydog85251

Oct 5, 2010, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 69 (114834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Maybe you should consider Colima or Comala, Colima.........they seems to have most everything you listed....2 volcanoes, rivers that run year 'round, 45 min to beautiful beaches, culture, hiking....temperate climate,much drier in the summer than most coastal areas but with all year growing abilities.

Buena suerte.
Willie

jerezano

Oct 6, 2010, 7:40 AM

Post #4 of 69 (114786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hello dan and Carmen,

The previous recommendation to consider Colima or Comala is a good one.

My own recommendation is the Tepic area. It has all the advantages of Colima or Comala, offers perhaps an even better cultural ambiance to meet your requirements and most importantly offers a much cheaper cost of living. It also has a somewhat more tropical climate than does Colima. In fact a late friend who had lived in Guadalajara for more than 20 years and had explored and written about almost every possible retirement town in Mexico (the now defunct Adventures in Mexico Aim a bimonthly newsletter) moved to Tepic because to him it offered the nearest climate to Honolulu, Hawaii.

You listed your preferences as:>>>>>>>>>>Trying to find the “right place” means determining what characteristics a town should have for our own sense of well-being. These are on the list for us, in no way ranked in importance: A long growing season. Some topography interest & views, with mountains in the distance (maybe some snow at the top), and the salt water not too far away, would be a plus. A moderate climate, not too hot in the summer nor cold in winter. No water shortages--somewhere where rivers & streams run most of the year would be nice. Don’t mind some clouds or rain (in fact, we’d miss them if they weren’t there!). A manageable cost of living. A good internet connection. Reliable electricity. Enough home space for a large patio or small jardín for lots of flowering plants. Access to reliable, not too expensive, medical care (we’re both reasonably healthy and mobile). Close-by shops for necessities (mercado, panaderia, farmacia, ferreteria), and farther-away bigger stores for periodic stocking up. A smaller town, with access to a not too distant city (perhaps a university city) where there are urban health and some cultural resources.<<<<<<<<<

In the Tepic area you can find that all your preferences are covered except the snow on the mountains. One caution: If you are not experienced with the burning of sugar cane, the haze produced during the harvesting season could be worrisome unless you choose your projected living site very carefully. Another caution is that expats are few although you will find many English speaking Mexicans.
As ever, jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Oct 6, 2010, 7:44 AM)

Anonimo

Oct 8, 2010, 5:38 AM

Post #5 of 69 (114644 views)

Shortcut

Sr. y Sra. Anónimo, now have completed 5 years in the Lago Pátzcuaro area. We have lived 4 years in a ranching community on the slopes slightly above a beautiful valley.
It's tranquil and peaceful, with very friendly neighbors, and we never tire of the view of the valley and mountains.
http://picasaweb.google.com/...wers?feat=directlink

Our go to place for shopping and services is Pátzcuaro with occasional visits to the big city excitement of Morelia, just 45 minutes away.
EDIT: I want to add that they are still renting, as the situation is advantageous to them, free of the headaches of home ownership, and a sense of freedom to take off and leave (However unlikely that is) if a reason arises.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Oct 8, 2010, 8:20 AM)

eyePad

Oct 15, 2010, 4:46 PM

Post #6 of 69 (114413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Part time and sometimes full time over past 20 years in Edomex where we own a home. Can't imagine living here without Spanish skills and the right attitude. Sadly, Otomí and Mazateco less and less important (exi injexto)

happynz

Oct 24, 2010, 1:13 PM

Post #7 of 69 (114225 views)

Shortcut

Howzit,

I'm on the other side of the pond on a largish seismically active island in the deep south Pacific.

Glad to make your acquaintance.
Así pues...aquí estamos...

anaxor65

Oct 28, 2010, 10:40 PM

Post #8 of 69 (114075 views)

Shortcut

After reading so many stories here I decided that I should introduce myself as well...
I was born in Romania, 45 years ago. I married my husband who's dream was to come to America, and even if that wasn't my dream, I followed because mine was to travel. In communist regime traveling outside was as possible like a trip on the moon.
We lived in a refugee camp in Malmo, Sweden, for one year. Here we succeeded after a lot of letters, and interviews to come legally to USA.
We lived first 7 years in the suburbs of Atlanta Ga. My husband passed away of leukemia at only 38.Then I moved to Pennsylvania with my job at the time. We have a son , who I raised alone and of who I am very proud. He finished Duquesne University International Studies, now has a great job and also is working on his masters at only 23 . I Have a degree from PSU in social studies. I lived in US for almost 20 years..and took every opportunity to travel....
From all my trips, one country had that special something no other one had...and that was Mexico. I was there first time in 2004, in Cancun, and instead of staying in the tourist place...I explored as much as I could in one week...Isla Mujeres, Cancun the real town, Valladolid, Iquil, Chichen-Itza....I was so emotionally touched by everything I've seen that after returning to US, my only thought was...how to return.
I studied Spanish in Romania four years in high-school...and even if I forgot a lot, I realized that it was coming back to me relatively easy, especially since Romanian language is a Latin language, just like Spanish, Portugese, Italian and French.Now, I can say I speak 80% , good enough to amaze all the natives.
Last year I went again in Mexico , invited by my friend that I have met here In US and now returned to his county.Here I lived with a mexican family and loved life more than ever. Again and again I felt like I did not want to return back. I was there for the winter holidays and enjoyed the first day of this year on the top of Xochicalco, next to Cuernavaca. Unfortunately I had to return ...I was just in vacation. Made lost of preparations and in July went back to Mexico. This time for 3 month...I did not succeed in find work so once again I had to return to US.
Now I am in Los Angeles, where my dream is to make enough money to return for good in Mexico.
I lived in Distrito Federal...which I absolutely love...and is hard to explain and to be understood why I love it so much.Now my only hope and desire is to return as soon as possible.

neileaque

Nov 14, 2010, 5:23 PM

Post #9 of 69 (113840 views)

Shortcut

Hi buddy.This is Neileaque.I live in new york(USA).My hobby is making good friend.I am employed in Microsoft a leading software industry.I also happy to make friends.
==
Cash For Gold Bedford

conan the librarian

Dec 9, 2010, 10:39 AM

Post #10 of 69 (113376 views)

Shortcut

Been lurking here for many months and decided it's time to register and join in the fun.

I'm a 50-something librarian (database management services) at a semi-large university in south-central Texas. SWMBO is an IT manager for a company in Austin. SWMBO is also a very talented semi-professional photographer (we ran our own gallery for a few years before we figured we were losing too much of our retirement money on it).

I've been going to Mexico since the late sixties, as my dad loved Mexico and took the family there on summer vacations. We would stay in Mexico City and travel around from there for most of the summer. It was only natural that I wound up studying Spanish in college (plus Mesoamerican anthropology/archaeology). Also, I spent a summer in Mexico City my sophomore year living with a local family and ostensibly studying at the Universidad Iberoamericana.

My (Canadian) wife had never been to Mexico until she married me. We made a couple of trips, one to Merida, and one to Ixtapa/Zihua (the kids wanted to go to the beach), before the Fateful Trip. She was trying to figure out where to head next when I mentioned that in college we had made a road trip to a little place called San Miguel de Allende, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. (Keep in mind that my original visit was in 1975.)

She found a place to rent on VRBO, and we wound up staying in a lovely place in the Aldea. (The man who owns the house has since become a dear friend, and we visit him every time we're in town.) My wife fell in love with SMA, the climate, the food, the people, etc. and we've been traveling back at least once a year since.

We started talking seriously about retiring there a couple of years ago, but real estate was so high, plus to be honest, the expat presence was a little too much for our tastes. Then we happened upon our little ghost town about 45 minutes away from SMA, and as luck would have it, a nice, large house with studio/gallery space, detached workshop (for my woodworking), etc. was on the market.

We made the plunge, and everything is pointing towards it being the right move. We've got a great home, good neighbors, SMA nearby, another city of 80,000 within 10 minutes drive, Queretaro about an hour away, plus our little town is undergoing a general renaissance.

Now we just have to make the move happen. If all goes well, sometime next year we'll be permanent residents of [name withheld to protect the innocents].

I've really enjoyed my time reading and learning here, and I'll try not to be so wordy in the future. :-}

Chuck

DavidMcL

Dec 9, 2010, 2:29 PM

Post #11 of 69 (113363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [conan the librarian] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Welcome!
Nice story - and buena suerte amigo!

David
David McL
WebJefe

johang

Dec 17, 2010, 8:24 PM

Post #12 of 69 (113169 views)

Shortcut

Born in Denmark immigrated to Canada, farmer, computer consultant, manufacturer and now retired living half time in La Peñita de Jaltemba, Nayarit just a bit more than an hour north of Puerto Vallarta.

Retired may be stretching the truth since I decided 8 months ago to start an on line magazine in our small community with the objective of promoting our community to visitors and potential visitors and bridging the gap between our foreign and national communities. That is the JaltembaJalepeno.com. I try to post here when something significant happens in our area like my reports on the bridge collapse and rehabilitation and the emergency landing at PV airport as well as subjects that may be of more general interest like my articles on choosing the best on line flight and of course the immigration application procedures. Occasionally I will also give you a story about what is happening in our small town. Anyone who wants to follow more closely life in small town Mexico is of course welcome to check out the front page. By all means visit us in La Peñita. Any Thursday is a great day to check out tianguis, our open air market.

I very much appreciate the wealth of experience that you all offer so freely...Johan

Johan....If we all do a little we can do a lot. Visit our little corner of paradise at the Jaltemba Jalapeño.

(This post was edited by johang on Dec 17, 2010, 8:33 PM)

Maritsa

Feb 9, 2011, 10:36 AM

Post #13 of 69 (112096 views)

Shortcut

Although I have been following the forum about 3 years and occasionally contributing, I have not introduced myself really.

I am Barbara, and my dog is Maritsa. Her mother was lab and beagle, and her father was lab and pitbull. So she is black, with brown brindle markings on her face and legs, and she barks like a beagle and has beagle ears.

I grew up in New Jersey - close to Pennsylvania, where it is still the Garden State. I was married for 19 years and have four children - daughter 33 yrs old, daughter 28 yrs old, and son and daughter twins age 26.

Bowling was a big part of my life for many years. I grew up helping my mother run the snackbar in the bowling alley, met my husband at that bowling alley, and also worked there for many years, running the front desk, leagues, coaching junior bowlers, fixing the pinsetters, tending bar and snackbar. My youngest daughter has a 236 average and has bowled 14 sanctioned 300`s. I have bowled 3 300's and was inducted into the Morris County NJ women`s bowling hall of fame in 1996.

In 1993 I decided to go back to school, and chose an Occupational Therapy Assistant Program. I graduated with honors and was excited to begin a new career. But my marriage broke up and I fell apart, so I ended up working as an instructional aide with special ed students for 7 years in the high school I had graduated from.

So I headed to the OBX of NC in 2003, worked for a landscaping company, started doing yards myself, worked for Coca Cola for 2 years. My children were grown so I started over.
I always thought I would end up being a Social Worker or maybe even a missionary, but that never happened.

I have always loved to read, like to write too - I took a course in Writing Your Memoirs and enjoyed it . Took some art lessons and got into painting for a while. I play the piano and organ, a little guitar.

It seems that I have always been a "jack of all trades but master of none."
I have gone through the EST course (1980), TM, yoga, and karate at different times in my life.
Also went through 2 years of co dependent groups and NA after my son overdosed on heroin in 1999 and almost died.
Thankfully, he is clean 10 years and working hard.

So here I am, wondering what to do with the rest of my life, however long that will be - not complaining - but looking back and wondering where the years went and why I never became a master at anything. But my mother always said that there is a reason for everything and I do believe her. As the saying goes, "The only person you spend your whole life with, is yourself."

I hope the next time around I get to become a master at something!!!!

Karen K

Mar 15, 2011, 1:55 PM

Post #14 of 69 (111297 views)

Shortcut

Hi Rolly,

If everyone was like me and completed their "profile" maybe we wouldn't need to introduce ourselves. It is very frustrating to see a post regarding a problem in a specific location when you can't discover where that location is because the "profile" states "no location given".

I know where you are Rolly!

Sheila_Meraz

May 24, 2011, 4:54 PM

Post #15 of 69 (108398 views)

Shortcut

Hi, my name is Sheila. I'm getting ready to move to Texcoco, Mexico to be with my soon to be husband. I will be moving down with my 2 children and hopefully all of our pets. I'm getting lots of conflicting information on how to get my animals down there and how many I can take, so I will be posting questions about that.
Soon to be in Texcoco

Tomas_en_Mexico

Jul 6, 2011, 3:43 AM

Post #16 of 69 (106765 views)

Shortcut

Hello! I wanted to make a short introduction. My name is Tomás (en español). I am a gringo from the USA, mid-40s, single and retired from a career in engineering. I have lived for a time in a few other countries, so I am an experienced expat.

I am exploring a move to Mexico. I like warm and hot weather and I also liked the Mexican culture I was exposed to while living in Southern California. However, I actually have little experience in Mexico itself, having only spent about a month of my life there, in total, even though I lived near the border for many years. I already speak Spanish fairly well, although I am not fluent, having lived in Colombia for a time. I grew up on Mexican food and absolutely love it.

After doing some research, I am thinking of checking out Mazatlán in an exploratory trip. I like the climate there for year-around living, although the hot and humid summer might be a little tough. It is a right-sized city for me (around 500,000 metro area), not too big or too small. There are tourists and expats there, which I really enjoy, but they also don't dominate the scene nor is tourism the biggest industry. The beach is a nice bonus. And I hope that it is OK for guys to wear shorts around there sometimes when it is hot, lol.

I am also open to other places to explore if people have suggestions. I looked at some places in the highlands (I stayed in Morelia before), but the winters and nights there are just too cold for me. I would rather live somewhere where it rarely gets below 60 F (15.5 C) day or night year around.

My biggest concerns (or maybe unknowns about the future) are the continuing narco-violence in Mexico and what that means for non-narco-related crime and the direction of the country as a whole. And also how well I might integrate into the local expat community, which is important to me.

Solomon

Jul 17, 2011, 3:01 PM

Post #17 of 69 (106115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tomas_en_Mexico] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Hello everyone,

I am an American living in Playa Del Carmen, Quintana Roo, where I have been working in property management and building administration for the last 5 years. I am currently attending university here and will receive my Mexican law degree in 2012. I am married to a Mexican woman and we have a 5 month old son. I continue to work in the real estate field and am working as a paralegal in the law firm of CHF Associates.

Regards,
Solomon
http://www.mymexicanlawyer.com - A blog talking about legal issues affecting expats living in Mexico

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 17, 2011, 3:20 PM)

arenkai

Jul 19, 2011, 4:23 PM

Post #18 of 69 (106009 views)

Shortcut

Re: Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

My name is Karen, I'm 32 and I live in a small town outside Mazatlan. Originally from Alberta, Canada. I'm not married have no children (well they exist in the form of 2 Labradors)

I am here with my parents who are semi-retired. My choice in joining them is due to my health (or lack there of!). It's been a little bit of an adjustment but every time I go back to Alberta I can't wait to get back.

davidkrug

Sep 5, 2011, 4:03 PM

Post #19 of 69 (104348 views)

Shortcut

Who I am

My name is David Krug. I'm a 31 year old internet addicted entrepreneur who also happens to be in love with Mexico.

I currently live in Mazatlan atleast 6 months out of every year. Sometimes taking in other parts of Mexico, or rural United States.

But my home, my heart, and everything I am is Mexico. I'm a writer, a dancer, a poet, a dreamer, a singer (in the shower), and there's pretty much a lot more about me I haven't shared.

I love cumbias, banda, and all music of Mexico. I'm on this journey and I love sharing it with others and helping them live an amazing life of their dreams here in Mexico.

Retirement: World's longest coffee break. ~Author Unknown
Visit Me Online at: DavidKrug.org

KathyRRozier

Oct 19, 2011, 4:47 AM

Post #20 of 69 (102422 views)

Shortcut

Hello Everyone ,
I am Kathy Rozier and I am Gardener . I am newbie here .Also I like to read novels as well as landscaping

mazbook1

Oct 19, 2011, 3:10 PM

Post #21 of 69 (102384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KathyRRozier] Introduce Yourself -- Part 3

Bienvenido a México, Kathy.

AlanMexicali

Oct 23, 2011, 9:23 AM

Post #22 of 69 (102222 views)

Shortcut

Hello. My name is Alan. I now live in San Luis Potosi most of the year. I live in Mexicali part of the year. I also live in San Diego part of the year. I have been going to the border cities of TJ and Mexicali for over 30 years and speak intermediate or better Spanish. I was recently married in SLP in the summer of 2010. I spent most of my time off in Mexicali since 2005 [including weekends] and retired in early 2008 when I moved to Mexicali for 2 years and visited SLP regularly but now since being married stay in SLP more than 3/4 of the year. I hope to read here and enjoy the atmosphere.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 23, 2011, 12:43 PM)

terrybahena

Mar 25, 2012, 8:18 PM

Post #23 of 69 (99666 views)

Shortcut

HI,
My name is Terry and my husband and I are moving to Mexico in a couple of months. I have been on another forum for a few months and just discovered this one. I do see a couple of posters who are also on the other forum (hi all). My husband is a Mexican national who has lived in the US since he was 16 - so a little more than 30 years, but has family in Michocan. We are moving to Guerrero, a couple of hours south driving from Acapulco into a small fishing town- and I mean very small. We have a house there and friends who have basically "adopted" us.
My Spanish is passable and I intend to become fluent as quickly as possible. There are only 3 people in town who speak English, one adult, one teen and one kid, so I will have non stop opportunity to practice. We are very excited and are in the process of packing, getting rid of stuff, and slogging thru various paperwork requirements but it's coming along. I just got my apostille in the mail a couple of days ago. We also have a big lab named Sam and he will be making the trip with us.
I've been making trips to Mexico over the past 10 years and so have visited several areas, but when we went to Playa Ventura I knew in my heart I had found home. So I guess that's it for now; I hope to be a contributor here as well as able to soak up info and ideas....Thanx!

BajaBoundEzz

Apr 24, 2012, 12:54 AM

Post #24 of 69 (98838 views)

Shortcut

Greetings!!!
My name is Essmer. I am a bilingual Mexican citizen currently 24 years old living in NYC. Now I'm not sure what I should be saying in this introduction so ill tell you my biggest secret and why I'm here.

I was brought to the US at the age of 2 and have been here ever since. Life has been rough being an illegal immigrant, most of all is hiding it. The worst was during the junior and senior years of High School when 98% of my advanced placement and honors classmates were busy figuring out their College destinations, while I sat quiet in the back making believe that I to would attend college and fulfill my dreams. It's quite unfortunate BUT where there's a will there's a way. I managed to gather enough funds, mostly through family, to be able to attend 1 year or college at a CUNY CityTech for Computer Engineering. From there i was able to get jobs no one else wanted that required a higher level of education than most of my countrymen possess. Yet not for what I was studying.

I hate to have come across this site during bad times, but ::sigh:: I was recently laid off my job of 3 years. Even then, having the job didn't assure me peace and happiness. Most companies hire me because they know they wont have to give me any benefits AT ALL AND!! pay me less, who would want to treated this way? There is hope in the DREAM act and local state laws, but even then what do i do now? Wait another 6 years hoping that I would somehow by grace of god be given a social security number? Life is short and I for one am not the person whom will make a difference. I have given up. Baja California seems to be a light at the end of this cold and terrible tunnel.

I have begun to ponder the idea of just leaving the US all together. Heck the government doesn't even want me here! What is life really like in Baja? Of course this wont be a transition done over night, I'm thinking maybe 2 - 3 years. Once there venture out and see what happens and of course think of the future. I would like to one day have my own restaurant/bar/lounge/club type of business or something with computers. I'm literally a jack-of-all-trades, learning as much as I can about the Food/Beverage and Hospitality industry in NYC, as well as having a love for music, art, sports, and technology.

I will humbly ask if someone out there can point me in the right direction? Primarily towards acquiring an apartment and an idea of the job market. My mind is racing at 100mph and im here tying to at least make a plan and not freak out completely.

I do have family in Mexico, but well I don't even know them. Telling my mother I want to leave will seem ridiculous to her, since she sacrificed so much get me here. Once i leave there is no coming back. Could it be that this is the wrong answer?
It's kind of ironic how so many people attempt to cross the border to the land of the free, and here I am trying to go back.

Thank You,
Essmer

hollysurly

May 16, 2012, 4:31 AM

Post #25 of 69 (97915 views)

Shortcut

Hi All ,

New Here.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4