Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

onebusyman

Sep 30, 2010, 11:04 AM

Post #1 of 14 (3241 views)

Shortcut

Hobbies in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
In my current NOB life I have a number of hobbies that I enjoy, and indeed, have some income generated from them. I'd like to bring at least one of those with me and am curious about how others spend their 'hobby time'.

I love woodworking and will bring some of my tools with me, mostly hand tools and small power tools. I'm wondering about the availability of wood products in Mexico. Do you find good 3/4" plywood? Hardwoods for cabinetry and furniture projects? What tools do you have difficulty finding in your location?

I will bring my glass etching equipment with me and will apply for a working FM3 so that I can sell my 'art' projects. I also do architectural etching; windows, doors, etc. I will probably not bring a large compressor with me hoping to purchase one in PV once I'm settled.

The welding tools will probably be sold here in Seattle before I move down. I figure I can replace those once there if I want to get into that again.

Let me know what hobbies you work with there and what are the challenges you find, if any. I'm building a work room in the new house in Bucerias, small compared to what I have now, but at least I don't have to use the dinning room table!

chicois8

Sep 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

Post #2 of 14 (3237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Hobbies in Mexico

Hola, Before you go after a working FM3 you might ask about the line:

visitor lucrative activity: "artist" on the FMM form you use to enter the country...

I would be surprised if an art instructor visiting PV for a week to earn money teaching

would have to go to the trouble and expense of getting an FM3....just a thought

Rolly

Sep 30, 2010, 12:12 PM

Post #3 of 14 (3230 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Hobbies in Mexico

I would be surprised if an art instructor visiting PV for a week to earn money teaching
would have to go to the trouble and expense of getting an FM3

Yes. But what does that have to do with the OP?

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Sep 30, 2010, 3:35 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hobbies in Mexico

Hola Rolly,

I mentioned because the OP said: "I will bring my glass etching equipment with me and will apply for a working FM3 so that I can sell my 'art' projects."

If the OP considers himself an artist and there is a box to mark on the FMM for artist why not ask immagration at the time of entry and receiving his FMM if he could use this way to do his art work without getting an FM3...

That's what it has to do with the OP?

I know a person entering Mexico on an FMM is not supposed to work but why would the Mexican Gov. include a line for
"visitor, lucrative activity, maximum stay up to 180 days"....

Rolly, do you know the answer? When I cross the border in a couple weeks I will ask the immagration official when I get my FMM, ( I have 2 or 3 questions for him ), of course ask 10 officials the same question and you will get 10 very different answers...

Rolly

Sep 30, 2010, 4:27 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3198 views)

Shortcut

The OP is talking about living in México in his new house, so an FMM will not meet his needs. He needs and FM3 with the appropriate endorsement for his business activities..

The new FMM rules do allow some types of business activities to be conducted.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Sep 30, 2010, 5:03 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hobbies in Mexico

Rolly states: "The new FMM rules do allow some types of business activities to be conducted."

Rolly, Do you have a website where I can find out this information about these new rules...

I am an artist who had been invited to show my work at a gallery but I will not until I find out
I can do this on an FMM legally. I do not want to get an FM3...Thanks

skier14

Sep 30, 2010, 5:12 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3182 views)

Shortcut

Home Depot is in Mexico as well as Sears. Most tools that you can find NOB and the same manufactures are available here, BUT the prices will be higher. 3/4" and other sizes of plywood are available. Hardwoods are also here, but not like maple, ash etc. I have been looking for cedar to line chests or closets without success. I don't find hobby shops like NOB.

Rolly

Sep 30, 2010, 5:18 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3182 views)

Shortcut

The following is from this website:

Mexico’s INM defines the criteria for a business visitor, and limits permissible business visitor activities to the following:

Conducting meetings or holding general discussions;
Participating in seminars, conferences, or trade fairs;
Engaging in commercial exchange of goods or services;
Establishing, developing, or managing foreign investments; and
Providing special services previously agreed to or established in transference of technology contracts, patents, trademarks and intellectual property, equipment dealings, and staff training.

To qualify, the foreign national’s primary residence must be outside of Mexico, and he or she may not be placed on the payroll of a Mexican company. In addition, the individual may not receive remuneration for any services provided to a Mexican entity, except for reimbursement for travel expenses such as meals, airline tickets, or accommodations.

There is also the matter of taking your art through customs. I suggest you go to your area Mexican Consulate to get advice and information.

Rolly Pirate

Bennie García

Sep 30, 2010, 5:53 PM

Post #9 of 14 (3173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Hobbies in Mexico

In Reply To
Home Depot is in Mexico as well as Sears. Most tools that you can find NOB and the same manufactures are available here, BUT the prices will be higher. 3/4" and other sizes of plywood are available. Hardwoods are also here, but not like maple, ash etc. I have been looking for cedar to line chests or closets without success. I don't find hobby shops like NOB.

Forget Home Depot and Sears for the most part. Maple, ash, beech, red oak, walnut, alder and poplar some NOB hardwoods available through large lumber dealers in the major cities. Then you have a choice of domestic hardwoods such as parota, rosamorada, primavera, cedro, barcino and some others and numerous imported hardwood species from South and Central America available. Most wood comes rough. Especially if you source wood through local PV sawmills.

If you have them and room to bring them a table and/or bandsaw. A small jointer and a lunch box planer are very handy and nearly essential. Much depends on what kind of projects you have in mind. But you won't be finding much S2S or S4S lumber to work with.

There is also a varied supply of plywood available. The most popular and common are lumber core with hardwood face veneers.

chicois8

Sep 30, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3166 views)

Shortcut

I will be in Guayabitos just up the road from you in Dec, my neighbor is a builder and gets hardwoods from the jungles of Chaipas. I could ask him if he would sell some, if you are interested send me a message when you arrive...

In Reply To
In my current NOB life I have a number of hobbies that I enjoy, and indeed, have some income generated from them. I'd like to bring at least one of those with me and am curious about how others spend their 'hobby time'.

I love woodworking and will bring some of my tools with me, mostly hand tools and small power tools. I'm wondering about the availability of wood products in Mexico. Do you find good 3/4" plywood? Hardwoods for cabinetry and furniture projects? What tools do you have difficulty finding in your location?

I will bring my glass etching equipment with me and will apply for a working FM3 so that I can sell my 'art' projects. I also do architectural etching; windows, doors, etc. I will probably not bring a large compressor with me hoping to purchase one in PV once I'm settled.

The welding tools will probably be sold here in Seattle before I move down. I figure I can replace those once there if I want to get into that again.

Let me know what hobbies you work with there and what are the challenges you find, if any. I'm building a work room in the new house in Bucerias, small compared to what I have now, but at least I don't have to use the dinning room table!

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 30, 2010, 6:27 PM)

johninajijic

Oct 1, 2010, 8:03 AM

Post #11 of 14 (3125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Hobbies in Mexico

Bennie Garcia did a nice job on his post on woods available here. You WILL pay a premium for wood here as there is a scarcity of good wood and some is imported. All contractors tell me that wood is expensive here.

Bring ALL your power tools. Home Depot and Sears carries all major well known brands of power tools, but they are way more expensive than in the US. They carry cheaper models too because Mexicans cannot afford and do not buy high end models.

Bennie García

Oct 1, 2010, 8:49 AM

Post #12 of 14 (3117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Hobbies in Mexico

In Reply To
Bennie Garcia did a nice job on his post on woods available here. You WILL pay a premium for wood here as there is a scarcity of good wood and some is imported. All contractors tell me that wood is expensive here.

Bring ALL your power tools. Home Depot and Sears carries all major well known brands of power tools, but they are way more expensive than in the US. They carry cheaper models too because Mexicans cannot afford and do not buy high end models.

Talk about a tool. Nice job of stereotyping there, amigo. The Mexican trades people I know buy the best tools they can afford. Many times these are the same tools you'll find on a job site in Canada or the USA.

They carry cheaper models here for the same reason they do where you are from. Not everybody needs or can afford a top quality tool. Why would someone buy an expensive roto hammer if they will drill 10 holes in concrete in a year? Do you need a Skilsaw 77 for ripping a few sheets of plywood twice a year?

Do you have any personal experience purchasing lumber or do you rely solely on second hand info? Wood is not expensive here. Even many imported species are cheaper than they are NOB. Scarcity? Wrong again.

onebusyman

Oct 1, 2010, 11:43 AM

Post #13 of 14 (3100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Hobbies in Mexico

Bennie and all, thanks so much for your replies and suggestions. I have a 15 year collection of woodworking tools (owned a construction company for awhile) and know that I can't bring them all with me. I'm bringing no furniture, tools are more important!
I will sell the bigger tools before I go (tears in eyes) and bring some of the more portable power tools. I plan to do a lot of the finish work on the new house so want to be prepared to do that. Appreciate you taking the time to respond...dave

Bennie García

Oct 1, 2010, 11:58 AM

Post #14 of 14 (3096 views)

Shortcut

Bring a decent roto hammer, you'll be drilling a lot of holes in concrete.. Bits are readily available, straight shank or SDS.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4