Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

tesseva

Sep 28, 2010, 9:08 AM

Post #1 of 22 (11165 views)

Shortcut

alleged shootings

Can't Post | Private Reply

Alleged by local talk today:

many police cars rushed to one of the 'fish' restuarants on the lake in San Juan Cosala.
yesterday, late afternoon. Word on street is that two people were shot dead.
Which means bad news for all of us- it's too close to home.

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2010, 9:31 AM

Post #2 of 22 (11142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tesseva] alleged shootings

Have not found any confirmation of this incident on any of the newspaper sites.

But 3 or 4 mutilated bodies were found in plastic bags this morning near a bus stop on the Guadalajara - Chapala Highway near Ixtlahuacan:

http://www.informador.com.mx/...e-los-membrillos.htm

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/712085.html
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

norteño

Sep 28, 2010, 10:07 AM

Post #3 of 22 (11135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] alleged shootings

The shooting on the shore of Lake Chapala is being reported in the Gudalajara papers. It seems to have been right on the line between the municipalities of Chapala and Jocotepec and there is some confusion about which jurisdiction it actually occurred in. The article goes on to say that the gunmen fled and the survivor is hospitalized in Guadalajara.

http://www.oem.com.mx/...l/notas/n1797770.htm

Blood flows in Chapala
Gunmen hunt down two in restaurant
El Occidental
28 September 2010

Antonio Neri

Chapala, Jalisco.- One man was shot to death and another critically wounded. The events occurred in the municipality of Chapala.

This happened in the area known as Piedra Barrenada, where there is a restaurant known as Las Gaviotas, on the shore of this lake. Two individuals were enjoying a tasty seafood and fish dish when several unknown subjects suddenly arrived pointing firearms.

Realizing the situation, the victims ran outside and threw themselves in the water to avoid the attack. Nevertheless, the gunmen fired their high-powered weapons in gangster fashion into the water, killing one of the diners. The other was rescued still alive.

lamur

Sep 28, 2010, 10:17 AM

Post #4 of 22 (11125 views)

Shortcut

I think Chinagringo, that people who actually live there will probably have a better handle on the story, I'm sure if you can be patient ..all of the details will be revealed.

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Post #5 of 22 (11105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lamur] alleged shootings

Kippy:

Since the original poster indicated alleged local talk, I did go looking for info and didn't say that it was a false story. I admittedly only looked at two sources. Norteno cleared the entire matter up while confirming the "local talk". By the way, this is the only site where this incident is being discussed. So much for the locals knowing what is going on!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Hound Dog

Sep 28, 2010, 11:49 AM

Post #6 of 22 (11099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [norteño] alleged shootings

One man was shot to death and another critically wounded. The events occurred in the municipality of Chapala.

This happened in the area known as Piedra Barrenada,

Piedra Barrenada is not located in the municipality of Chapala. Not even close. It is located in the municipality of Jocotepec. Of course those guys are just as dead.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 28, 2010, 11:58 AM)

arbon

Sep 28, 2010, 12:16 PM

Post #7 of 22 (11082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] alleged shootings

Can't Post |
I wonder where and when the victim will be able to officially report the crime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hound Dog

Sep 28, 2010, 1:06 PM

Post #8 of 22 (11069 views)

Shortcut

the original poster indicated alleged local talk, I did go looking for info and didn't say that it was a false story. I admittedly only looked at two sources. Norteno cleared the entire matter up while confirming the "local talk". By the way, this is the only site where this incident is being discussed. So much for the locals knowing what is going on!
Regards,
Neil

This statement by Neil, "So much for the locals knowing what is going on!¨ definitively communicates to thoughtful readers what is wrong with the reasoning among farflung participants on these threads such as those living in El Norte who continue to think themselves among the cogniscenti.

Locals at Lake Chapala and in the Chiapas Highlands do not participate in "gringo" forums in any manner. What is going on is communicated in the street among those privileged to be a part of the local street news network. Foreigners sitting in insignificant places such as New Mexico are not a part of and will never be a part of the communities they presume to define.

Ignorance is bliss. Play in your own back yard.

johninajijic

Sep 28, 2010, 1:44 PM

Post #9 of 22 (11053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tesseva] alleged shootings

In Reply To

Alleged by local talk today:

many police cars rushed to one of the 'fish' restuarants on the lake in San Juan Cosala.
yesterday, late afternoon. Word on street is that two people were shot dead.
Which means bad news for all of us- it's too close to home.

If one has lived here any length of time, then he/she should not be starting rumors until facts are published in newspapers. Since when is Piedra Barrenada remotely close to Chapala. Try saying it's next to San Juan Cosala and you'd be correct.

johanson

Sep 28, 2010, 2:53 PM

Post #10 of 22 (11030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] alleged shootings

A friend sitting across from me in the office today read that same report to me. He was getting it from a Spanish language source on the internet and reading and then translating it in English to me. Do I know the story to be true? No. But the person who read it to me, whom I respect, believes it.

Sadly I did not think to get the URL.

All I know is that I have only two bullet holes in my car. And they are the fake ones you stick to the side of your car.

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2010, 3:33 PM

Post #11 of 22 (11013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] alleged shootings

In addition to the above provided link, here is one to the INFORMADOR report on this same incident:

http://www.informador.com.mx/...l-hay-uno-herido.htm

By the way, INFORMADOR also has a direct link for all of their recorded "executions" in Jalisco:

http://www.informador.com.mx/...jecutados-en-jalisco
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidHF

Sep 28, 2010, 4:31 PM

Post #12 of 22 (10992 views)

Shortcut

FYI, these events ARE being discussed on TOB.

John, it's pretty clear that the OP on this board is a local resident and he/she clearly stated that the location was close to San Juan Cosala. The newspaper article claimed to not know if the location was in the MUNICIPIO of Chapala or Jocotepec. Piedra Barranada is close to the line between the two and I wouldn't necessarily expect a reporter from who knows where to know which Municipio the restaurant is located. Interesting too that within an hour the third poster had a published source. Clearly in this case the locals knew before the news media.

don pedro

Sep 28, 2010, 4:55 PM

Post #13 of 22 (10976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] alleged shootings

and let's not use NOB speak[alleged shooting]. they actually did get shot-that ain't alleged.
thanks neil fer posting the media sources on my web board.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

jengland

Sep 28, 2010, 5:00 PM

Post #14 of 22 (10974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] alleged shootings

Rather snippy response. We up north do read the posts to see what is going on.

Peter

Sep 28, 2010, 11:17 PM

Post #15 of 22 (10919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jengland] alleged shootings

Rather snippy response.

Snippy is good. On a normal day this Dawg would probably crap all over your front porch and chew up you favorite slippers. On a little worse one he might chew up your front porch and crap all over your favorite slippers.

The kind of house you describe that you are looking for sounds a lot like his. If you're lucky you may get to be neighbors.

norteño

Sep 29, 2010, 11:19 AM

Post #16 of 22 (10855 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] alleged shootings

The second victim in the Las Gaviotas shooting has died. This article says they were killed by four subjects with assault rifles, at least one other report was that it was two people with handguns. It says here that the Ministerio Público from Chapala has charge of the case while El Informador says the crime occurred within Jocotepec's jurisdiction, although police from both municipalities responded. Maps show the municipal line running right through that area.

http://www.oem.com.mx/...l/notas/n1799049.htm

(This post was edited by norteño on Sep 29, 2010, 11:20 AM)

NEOhio1

Sep 29, 2010, 1:36 PM

Post #17 of 22 (10830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [norteño] alleged shootings

Anytime, anyplace you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere in the world.

esperanza

Sep 29, 2010, 7:24 PM

Post #18 of 22 (10770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] alleged shootings

*sigh*

Las Gaviotas is my personal favorite of the Piedra Barrenada restaurants.

Quite a few years back, my car was hit head-on in front of one of those restaurants. The jurisdiction was definitely Jocotepec and the authorities required that my car be towed to a mechanic and body shop there, rather than in the Municipio de Chapala, Town of Ajijic--where I lived.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bfwpdx

Sep 30, 2010, 5:50 AM

Post #19 of 22 (10700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] alleged shootings

That's true Anita, but the odds can be remarkably different...

Jimbo

Oct 1, 2010, 11:31 AM

Post #20 of 22 (10548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bfwpdx] alleged shootings

Ain't no "alleged shootings", as anyone who can read Spanish knows by now. Those were real dead guys and real shooters. And, yes, it can happen "anywhere at anytime" - as another poster wrote - but it happened right in your backyard (assuming you live in the Lakeside). I live in Mazatlan, where there has been way too much drug-related violence the last few years, and this has the sound of a hit - and I bet it was drug-related. I used to live in the Lakeside and I still have a lot of friends there. Unfortunately, given the level of drug-related violence in Mexico, this was inevitable. Was there not an another drug-related murder of a police officer in Chapala this past summer and another two cops were killed in Ixtlahuacan as well?

Jimbo

chinagringo

Oct 1, 2010, 2:31 PM

Post #21 of 22 (10514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jimbo] alleged shootings

At the time the OP made the post, it was a matter of "local talk". It was latter confirmed through stated new sources.

The murder of the policeman in Chapala has been the subject of numerous rumors and speculations. I am not sure if the exact reason for that incident or those in Ixtlahuacan have ever been positively confirmed.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Jimbo

Oct 2, 2010, 7:46 AM

Post #22 of 22 (10397 views)

Shortcut

I just hope the body count stays down there. It has been steadily rising in Sinaloa. It's still relatively safe in Mazatlan - particularly in the colonial, central part of the city and in gated communities like El Cid - but it is most unsettling.

Jimbo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4