Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

chinagringo

Oct 10, 2010, 4:35 PM

Post #51 of 57 (5213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Can't Post | Private Reply
Then again, if one is planning to imbibe heavily - what is wrong with supporting the local economy by using a taxi and not placing a burden on a friend?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Peter

Oct 10, 2010, 5:13 PM

Post #52 of 57 (5205 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Then again, if one is planning to imbibe heavily - what is wrong with supporting the local economy by using a taxi and not placing a burden on a friend?

It believe it was already established that the couples in question were sharing a bottle of wine over dinner over a period of time. It was only in the mind of the OP that these scofflaws were imbibing heavily and concerned for their safety.

If I felt too impaired to drive in Morelia and my dinner companions were going the other direction I would insist on a taxi and probably arrived in one in the first place. I don't think I would be placing an undue burden on a friend if we both lived on opposite ends of Ajijic.

Hound Dog

Oct 10, 2010, 8:57 PM

Post #53 of 57 (5178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

If I felt too impaired to drive in Morelia and my dinner companions were going the other direction I would insist on a taxi and probably arrived in one in the first place.

A good solution if I must say so myself. One of the great things about living in San Cristóbal de Las Casas is that it is a compact, densely-populated pedestrian´s town and parking is difficult at the best times of the day for dining so walking to restaurants and bars is usually a good option. However, there are times after dark when walking home via certain deserted streets is not such a good idea. Thankfully, taxis are abundant there and constantly cruise the primary streets in profusion looking to be hailed by passers-by so taxis are always an option. Every taxi ride in the city is in a non-metered cab and the fare is always $20 Pesos no matter your destination within the urban zone. No need to arrive at a fare ahead of time or worry about dishonest cabbies. Taxis at the "Lakeside" area* of Lake Chapala can be a bit more problematic to find and can be much more expensive at times but I´m sure any restaurant or eatery with a telephone would be pleased to call you one if you request they so do. As we live in the Ajijic village, getting home on foot is always a possibility within the lower village but if you are going to dine in far-flung areas you might want to drink Coke Zero.

* Just for the record, Dawg would define "Lakeside" as that area north of the lakeshore, south of the adjacent mountain ridge, west of the Poncitlan Municipal line and east of the western edge of Jocotepec. Your definition may differ. Your experience with finding taxis and reasonable fares in that region may vary widely according to where you find yourself after that drink or two as well as where you wish to be taken.

Hound Dog

Oct 11, 2010, 10:14 AM

Post #54 of 57 (5131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ajijicbob] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

I had a very serious talk about drinking and driving with Bob a few years ago and his opinion made a lot of sense. His reasoning was you shouldn’t drink and drive because you might spill some.

ajijicbob

Well, AB, since Hound Dog is also known as "Bob" and, as far as I know, I, The Dawg, am the only "Bob" posting on this thread, I must say, it is good to hear from you again. Certainly better than the first time I heard from you. When you reminisce about our "serious talk" about drinking and driving a few years ago I am inclined to believe that at one time in a previous incarnation you were a field law enforcement employee with either the Alabama or California Highway Patrols or, perhaps a San Mateo County (California) deputy sheriff as, as far as I can recollect, the only serious talks I ever had about drinking and driving took place with uniformed employees of one of those three entities and those talks took place on roadside locations during the dark of night and were most serious indeed. As for "spilling some", you would spill some too if you had to walk that line one foot in front of the other until some highway patrol officer commanded, HALT! thereby inducing you to pee in your pants. These encounters took place a long time ago and I generally do not like to recall those events but, since you brought it up; How you doin´?

I am pleased we both survived so far.

Dawg

chinagringo

Oct 15, 2010, 3:21 PM

Post #55 of 57 (5023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Well Dawg, from the following article in the GUADALAJARA REPORTER, they are sneaking closer to you:
"Traffic cops target Chapala for drunk driving Friday, October 15 2010 14:47 GR.Staff The Jalisco SVT transit department has announced plans to implement a weekend crackdown on drunk drivers traveling between the Chapala area and the Guadalajara metropolitan area."
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Hound Dog

Oct 15, 2010, 4:09 PM

Post #56 of 57 (5016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Well Dawg, from the following article in the GUADALAJARA REPORTER, they are sneaking closer to you:
"
Traffic cops target Chapala for drunk driving Friday, October 15 2010 14:47 GR.Staff The Jalisco SVT transit department has announced plans to implement a weekend crackdown on drunk drivers traveling between the Chapala area and the Guadalajara metropolitan area."
Regards,
Neil

I must say, Neil, that there is a specific problem they need to address and, apparently are, addressing, and that is the large number of "Tapatios" (Guadalajarans) who come to Lakeside on the weekends and get loaded and drive our Lakeside roads back to the city. This is an especially bad problem on the carretera from San Juan Cosala through Ajijic to the Ajijic Libramiento. On any given Sunday, the borrachos leaving the lakeside restaurants at San Juan and driving back to the city are a menace. We simply do not drive between Ajijicc ands Jocotepec on any Sunday if we can help it.

That having been said; the notion that the authorities in this area will seriously go after drunk drivers is a joke. Get over it.

chinagringo

Oct 15, 2010, 5:27 PM

Post #57 of 57 (5004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Me continuing to remind you of this new law and enforcement(grin) cannot be any worse than having to wade through the repeated Bama stories, repeated banker stories or the French reminders. Mine are just shorter and can all fit in the "teleprompter memory bank"!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4