Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

right click

Sep 27, 2010, 7:44 AM

Post #1 of 57 (12081 views)

Shortcut

Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Can't Post |
Does it seem to you that expats who wouldn't drink and drive in the US or Canada, do indeed drink and drive here, on a regular basis?

I have had many dinners with couples who share a full bottle of wine at Tango or Manix, then think nothing of getting in their car and driving home to Chula Vista or beyond. They aren't falling down drunk, but obviously they are impaired to some degree. And frankly, the older we all get, the less we need any impairment when it comes to driving skills. Again, my guess is if they were home in Toronto or Phoenix, they would not drink and drive to this extent.

I have also seen patrons leaving downtown Ajijic restaurants 'nudge' the cars both in front and behind them, as they leave their parking spot, never stopping to check for damage, or to leave a note.

(This post was edited by right click on Sep 27, 2010, 8:03 AM)

Hound Dog

Sep 27, 2010, 10:04 AM

Post #2 of 57 (12033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [right click] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does it seem to you that expats who wouldn't drink and drive in the US or Canada, do indeed drink and drive here, on a regular basis?

I have had many dinners with couples who share a full bottle of wine at Tango or Manix, then think nothing of getting in their car and driving home to Chula Vista or beyond. They aren't falling down drunk, but obviously they are impaired to some degree. And frankly, the older we all get, the less we need any impairment when it comes to driving skills. Again, my guess is if they were home in Toronto or Phoenix, they would not drink and drive to this extent.

I have also seen patrons leaving downtown Ajijic restaurants 'nudge' the cars both in front and behind them, as they leave their parking spot, never stopping to check for damage, or to leave a note.

Does it seem to you that expats who enjoy a social drink should choose their dinner companions with more discernment? Here they are enjoying a bottle of wine amongst themselves and sitting across from some self-righteous but hypocritical prig who smiles at them and engages them in light dinner banter while, all the while, presuming to assign them to the garbage heap of undisciplined morons with whom they have shared encounters over the years and, simultaneously, because of their spineless need to ingratiate themselves to their dinner companions, have encouraged the continuance of an essentially negative and self-defeating type of behavior among those mistakenly encouraged to imbibe even more alcohol. No matter how well one envisions one comports oneself upon leaving this mean and merciless dinner table one is a lush (who, without realizing) it has been a bit injudicious in the consumption of alcoholic beverages with no regard for the lives of others. Thank God dinner companions in worthy hellholes such as Toronto and Phoenix (or Paris) are not so shortsighted thanks to applied draconian laws that could land your ass in jail.

These companions at the dinner table who have enjoyed watching your descent into indiscipline, can now retire to their private computers and villify you anonymously which, I suppose, helps to rectify their uneasiness at the notion of knifing others with their backs turned.

How the hell do restaurants clean the areas of the slime these people leave after dining once they have left the establishments?

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 27, 2010, 1:07 PM)

arbon

Sep 27, 2010, 11:17 AM

Post #3 of 57 (12011 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"a full bottle of wine"

¿Would that be .75 of a litre, @ 10 % alcohol............. shared between two adults of an approx combined weight of 200 Kg ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Sep 27, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #4 of 57 (11992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Does it seem like someone is getting a bit homesick for their old nanny society up north?

The parts of cars on the front and back that would get nudged in tight parking spaces used to be called "bumpers" for some odd reason or another. Now that they are made out of rubber I'm not sure what they are called but I guess you aren't supposed to nudge them.

When jointly consumming that .75 liter bottle of wine are the Lakeside diners fast eaters or is that being consumed over an hour or so?

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 27, 2010, 12:11 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2010, 1:16 PM

Post #5 of 57 (11969 views)

Shortcut

I would suspect that a good 80% of the Gringo residents in the Lake Chapala area have no clue that a new Drunk Driving Law went into effect for the State of Jalisco on September 6th. This new law outlaws 2x1 promotions, limits alcohol sale hours for convenience stores & bars, establishes 3 levels of intoxication while providing for fines ranging from $11,000MXP to $14,000MXP, confiscation of vehicles and jail terms.

They have already been setting up checkpoints in Guadalajara with numerous drivers receiving an introduction to the new law!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Peter

Sep 27, 2010, 1:22 PM

Post #6 of 57 (11966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

This new law outlaws 2x1 promotions...

That has got to be unconstitutional!

arbon

Sep 27, 2010, 1:29 PM

Post #7 of 57 (11963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Can't Post |
For "Gringo" residents it was 1x2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vichil

Sep 27, 2010, 1:42 PM

Post #8 of 57 (11957 views)

Shortcut

You are so self righteous, must be nice to be perfect!

Two full glasses of wine for two adults over a couple of hours over dinner is pretty moderate consumption in my book.

You must be a lovely dinner companion, sitting there in judgement of what your friends are doing all evening. Remind me never to have dinner around you! BY the way this is not the US nor Canada and do not go to a campestre restaurant where the beverage of choice is Tequila and lots of it it may offend you too.

don pedro

Sep 27, 2010, 2:59 PM

Post #9 of 57 (11932 views)

Shortcut

hereees lochingg azzya-hick hick schlurp!
an' iffen anyone messes wit deez bumpers thEy's gonna do selves severe damage-SNORK!
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!
Attachments: bug.jpg (95.7 KB)

DavidHF

Sep 27, 2010, 4:02 PM

Post #10 of 57 (11916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

If two people consume a bottle of wine over a dinner, say 2 hours, that's 2-3 glasses per person depending on serving size. Using one of the (many) on-line BAC calculators one can see that neither is impaired. Sometimes opinions outweigh facts. If you think they're impaired it's more likely that you are.

Hound Dog

Sep 27, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #11 of 57 (11897 views)

Shortcut

I would suspect that a good 80% of the Gringo residents in the Lake Chapala area have no clue that a new Drunk Driving Law went into effect for the State of Jalisco on September 6th. This new law outlaws 2x1 promotions, limits alcohol sale hours for convenience stores & bars, establishes 3 levels of intoxication while providing for fines ranging from $11,000MXP to $14,000MXP, confiscation of vehicles and jail terms.

They have already been setting up checkpoints in Guadalajara with numerous drivers receiving an introduction to the new law!
Regards,
Neil

God, Neil:

You are one funny sumbitch. Have you never lived in Mexico? Are you kidding me? The new drunk driving law? Setting up checkpoints in Guadalajara? Confiscation of vehicles and jail terms? Jesus, Gawd, I am hardly able to type! OK,OK, you are trying to be funny. Excuse me for being naive.

Oh my, I just wet my pants. Who´s going to enforce this - the Virgin and Huichol patriotic patrols?

I am choking on amusement juice.

Dawg

cbviajero

Sep 27, 2010, 5:31 PM

Post #12 of 57 (11882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

I live in gdl and follow the local news,chinagringo is right about the law.I´m afraid the main result will only be the higher mordidas the transitos request.

Hound Dog

Sep 27, 2010, 6:01 PM

Post #13 of 57 (11875 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

live in gdl and follow the local news,chinagringo is right about the law.I´m afraid the main result will only be the higher mordidas the transitos request.

Dawg must remember to exit Guadalajara bars with sufficient dinero to pay off local cops. all of whom are crooked, just in case dawg runs over somebody or somebody´s kids as did about 50 bus drivers last year without consequece. How many lives does a moron have to end capriciously by irresponsible driving before that moron pays the price paid by one Guadalajara bus driver? The answer:

Not one Guadalajara bus driver has ever been fired for smashing the brains of a pedestrian into the pavement in El Rancho Grande. Not one. Ever. Despite countless gut twisting incidents leaving offal and brains all over the pavement. And you folks think what you think counts for beans?

At least in Chiapas, we know the score. We are not fools. You are fools.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 27, 2010, 6:03 PM)

chinagringo

Sep 27, 2010, 6:02 PM

Post #14 of 57 (11872 views)

Shortcut

Sure Dawg, mock the information that I stated but unlike many of the OSTRICH GRINGOS, I do read the MX based news on a daily basis. One of the various news sources that I do follow is:
http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/

I only wish that I had the comedic talents to imagine and write such an entertaining (at least for you) fictional post. Trust me when I say that they had photos from the checkpoints showing the hand held breathalyzers and the accompanying news articles gave statistics of the arrest records in each of the three defined levels of intoxication specified in the law.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Hound Dog

Sep 27, 2010, 6:23 PM

Post #15 of 57 (11865 views)

Shortcut

I only wish that I had the comedic talents to imagine and write such an entertaining (at least for you) fictional post. Trust me when I say that they had photos from the checkpoints showing the hand held breathalyzers and the accompanying news articles gave statistics of the arrest records in each of the three defined levels of intoxication specified in the law.
Regards,
Neil

Understand this Neil:

What you have read is absolute bullshit.

You should stop presumimg to understand what happens in Mexico from New Mexico which, by the way is a terribly corrupt political entity in and of itself.

Breathalysers my ass. The degree of intoxication measured by any cop anywhere in Mexico, whether federal, state or local, is directly related to the amount of mordida offered in recompense for statutes violated or presumed to have been violated. New Mexico and Alabama are only different in degree. Sleaze is sleaze.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 27, 2010, 6:24 PM)

Reefhound

Sep 27, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #16 of 57 (11848 views)

Shortcut

Dawg must remember to exit Guadalajara bars with sufficient dinero to pay off local cops. all of whom are crooked, just in case dawg runs over somebody or somebody´s kids as did about 50 bus drivers last year without consequece. How many lives does a moron have to end capriciously by irresponsible driving before that moron pays the price paid by one Guadalajara bus driver? The answer:

Not one Guadalajara bus driver has
ever been fired for smashing the brains of a pedestrian into the pavement in El Rancho Grande. Not one. Ever.

So what are you saying? That you have become a Guadalajara bus driver? Or that a gringo, if old enough and cranky enough, can get away with anything that a native Mexican can?

Reefhound

Sep 27, 2010, 7:21 PM

Post #17 of 57 (11847 views)

Shortcut

Breathalysers my ass. The degree of intoxication measured by any cop anywhere in Mexico, whether federal, state or local, is directly related to the amount of mordida offered in recompense for statutes violated or presumed to have been violated.

I presume this applies to Mexican truck drivers as well?

Pita

Sep 27, 2010, 9:50 PM

Post #18 of 57 (11817 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

what's the reason for picking on Phoenix and Toronto ??? In point of fact, Arizona has one of the toughest DUI laws in the entire USA.

Pita

Sep 27, 2010, 9:55 PM

Post #19 of 57 (11818 views)

Shortcut

Neil, Im new here and mean no disrespect, but how come you know si much about Mexico and lakeside, but advertise so overtly that you live in new Mexico, USA? Is there some history or backstory that us newbies might benefit from hearing?

Maybe this wound be better in another thread.

don pedro

Sep 28, 2010, 7:14 AM

Post #20 of 57 (11773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

chinagringo lived in ixtlahuacan for about 5 years and travels extensively in mexico for business and pleasure.
no matter how long a certain wordy comedian wannabee lives here, he will never know as much as neil does about things mexican.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on Sep 28, 2010, 7:33 AM)

Peter

Sep 28, 2010, 7:37 AM

Post #21 of 57 (11759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

That's OK, we have some English-speakers here that presume to know more about things Mexican than many Mexicans.

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2010, 7:51 AM

Post #22 of 57 (11752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pita] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Don Pedro pretty much summed up my reasons except for the fact that I am an admitted news junkie that only relies on local news from an area of interest. All one has to do is read various Mexico forums to realize that many Gringo residents (full or part time) are totally clueless as to what is going on around them. When I see topics titled: " Mexico News now hitting the big US Papers"
I am convinced further about my previous statement. I have to wonder if these people feel that these placements validate the situation or what?

Since the Dawg questions the use of breathalyzers, I would refer the all knowing one to the following article which happens to include a photo of such equipment in use:

http://www.informador.com.mx/...en-a-conductores.htm

Please take note, this new law is referred to as: "Ley Antiborrachos".

For those Gringo residents of the Lake Chapala area who tend to believe that the area would not survive without them, here is a link to an interesting and informative article from yesterday's INFORMADOR that goes a long way to dispelling that myth:

http://www.informador.com.mx/...ara-los-tapatios.htm
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johninajijic

Sep 28, 2010, 7:51 AM

Post #23 of 57 (11752 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Regards,
Neil

Understand this Neil:

What you have read is absolute bullshit.

You should stop presumimg to understand what happens in Mexico from New Mexico which, by the way is a terribly corrupt political entity in and of itself.

Breathalysers my ass. The degree of intoxication measured by any cop anywhere in Mexico, whether federal, state or local, is directly related to the amount of mordida offered in recompense for statutes violated or presumed to have been violated. New Mexico and Alabama are only different in degree. Sleaze is sleaze.

Chinagringo is correct according to the newspaper.

But Dawg is correct in telling you what actually will happen. Mexican traffic laws, like a red light is merely a suggestion to stop. Mordida is everything.

chinagringo quote "For those Gringo residents of the Lake Chapala area who tend to believe that the area would not survive without them, here is a link to an interesting and informative article from yesterday's INFORMADOR that goes a long way to dispelling that myth"

chinagringo fails to realize that if Gringos pull out of Lakeside, especially Ajijic, almost ALL the construction, remodel, electrical, plumbing, ironwork, carpentry, glass and hardware stores will be diminished by 75%. This is true of Maids and Gardeners too. Who pays the high prices demanded by builders, maestros and the construction trade here. It IS Gringos, not Mexicans. Mexicans don't pay ANY of their help close to what we pay. Mexicans pay their Maid $ 20 - $ 25 pesos an hour while we pay ours $ 35 - $ 50 pesos an hour.

Lakeside workers would have to go back to fishing and gardening making 1/4 of the pay they're making now. Most people in the trades here are living at middle class level, at least everyone I know. I even know some who are enjoying upper middle class living extending to the rich class levels.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 AM)

chinagringo

Sep 28, 2010, 8:33 AM

Post #24 of 57 (11736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Drinking and Driving At Lakeside

Peter:

I am very cognizant of the limitations placed upon my total package of Mexico knowledge by being Espanol challenged and not being able to live amongst the Mexican community! The best that I can accomplish is attempt to build my knowledge base by not only following the local news out of areas of interest but also admitting to my limitations by asking questions.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Hound Dog

Sep 28, 2010, 10:31 AM

Post #25 of 57 (11699 views)

Shortcut

What on earth could be funnier than Pedro defending Neil? I actually think Neil has a lot to offer here but he might seek a more astute champion.

Just to recap recent history Neil since you actually seem to believe that the "Cause of the Month" against drunk driving is anything more than this month´s hysterical fraud on the gullible hereabouts (it must be time to replenish the transito community lunch fund):

Remember back in 2004 when the transit cops were going to crack down on those who failed to wear their seat belts? Perhaps, you can go back to your news sources and remind us of the efficacy of the anti-litter campaign in Guadalajara started with great fanfair in 2003. Remember the poor clown in Guadalajara they arrested when he threw down a cigarette butt for the umpteenth time and they hauled his butt off to the slammer and fined him $800 Pesos for littering and plastered his picture on the front pages all over Guadalajara and how, a week later that whole campaign was ancient history? Remember the fanfair over the "gringo" inspired Ajijic Limpio? How about Amigos del Lago which used donations from Lakesiders to pay for vacation trips for their European boss´s school kids? How much money did you waste funneling it to those puntbrains when all the lake needed for replenishment was a prayerful ceremony by the Huichols circa 2003? Remember "The Wall of Hope" or whatever they called that phony brick wall the real estate agents were soliciting donations for to hide the now-non-existent garbage dump on the libramiento? Remember how the Chapala municipality milked the naive foreigners to keep their bricklayers employed only to later halt all work after they "discovered", having run out of bricks, that the wall was too near the libramiento to be legal? Remember the countless thousands of tons of toxic medical waste discovered in a landfill near Ixtlahuacan and if you do why don´t you tell me which locally prominent citizen went to the slammer after that debacle. Remember the Ajijic Limpio campaign to clean up the beaches? Well, if you do, then accompany me on my daily walk along the beaches in Ajijic from Six Corners to the new malecon and bring along a calculator to count the countless plastic bottles and other trash you will find on what is left of the beach. You won´t need a calculator to count the foreign retiress walking along this beach because except for you and Dawg there will be virtually no foreign strollers including Ajijic Limpio sponsors as they are all farting away in their deck chairs in the hills admiring the sump they never approach.

By the way, I remember once living in New Mexico - Taos and Santa Fe to be more precise. I also remember the famous town of Española where just about every driver was drunk and the local cops were afraid to pull them over for fear of being shot. Maybe there are some causes nearer home, Neil.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 28, 2010, 11:02 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4