Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Peter

Sep 22, 2010, 12:43 PM

Post #51 of 72 (5848 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
 When a truly memorable chef turns up, it's time to sing his or her praises.

With all the accolades given I am confident my visit to Hole-in-One will prove rewarding. Your praises are sung at a very high pitch. I am hearing a bass-soprano chorus when I would deem important more tenors and altos, even some baritones to give the bass it's proper depth.

Hound Dog

Sep 22, 2010, 1:22 PM

Post #52 of 72 (5840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Good endorsement. Speaks a discernable volume.

I'll be visiting Ajijic in a few weeks so if my arrival is provident I will expect to have another pleasurable afternoon at Lakeside should I happen to drop by your local golf shack.

Well, Peter, we look forward to seeing you when you get here and invite you to join us at Hole-in-One to experience the once-in-a-lifetime meal if we are lucky. Then we can write our own review.

Dawg

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 22, 2010, 1:43 PM)

tashby

Sep 22, 2010, 4:33 PM

Post #53 of 72 (5808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
I see the Snark Patrol is out and about. Super.

Anyway, I was a tiny bit surprised by the level of enthusiasm of esperanza's review as well. But only a tiny bit. The Boy Wonder, Chef Eric, really is talented. Incredibly so for being all of, what is it?, 22 years old.

Also, I certainly can't/won't speak for esperanza, but part of what may fuel the extraordinary praise is the complete incongruity of the experience. It really is surprising to find food of this caliber anywhere in the Lake Chapala area, much less at a Driving Range snack bar where they fling burgers and other grub food when Eric isn't cooking.

The whole thing is kooky.

Since I was there that night and tasted the same food, I'll modulate the review with my own less qualified opinion.

I thought the soup was delicious, but others at the table were responding more effusively than I. Could be personal taste there, as cream of corn isn't my personal favorite soup base. Thought both the lamb and rib-eye were spectacular. I tried the salad but didn't really notice it that much....confess I wasn't paying attention. (I may have been hitting a couple golf balls at that moment......ooops!) I think the biggest surprise for me was the Creme Brule'. I wasn't even going to try it because I suspected another "Flan Moment", but no. The real surprise here was the infusion of lemon.

I also agree with Esperanza and encourage everyone to GO SOON. Chef Eric manages to overcome the ridiculous environment, and there's no way he's going to stay here in the sticks very long.

CAVEAT/WARNING: I think he only cooks 4 nights a week, and I wouldn't necessarily expect "Mexican Cuisine" of any type. He's changing the menu frequently, experimenting, etc., and I think those dishes were designed especially for September. I, for one, am happy to be a guinea pig while he's still in town.

chinagringo

Sep 22, 2010, 4:51 PM

Post #54 of 72 (5803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
For those following this thread and are unfamiliar with the ambiance for this fine dining experience, here is a slideshow with the last part showing the Hole in One:
http://www.flickr.com/...57624866001674/show/

Photos courtesy of stevebrtx and ChapalaWeatherNet.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidHF

Sep 22, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #55 of 72 (5803 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Eric cooks dinner on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights. Friday nights he prepared awesome botanas to accompany "Martini Night."

esperanza

Sep 22, 2010, 6:00 PM

Post #56 of 72 (5789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
He graduated with a licenciatura en gastronomía from the four-year program at the Universidad de la Ciénega, Guadalajara. This amazing young man is 21 years old and has truly earned his filipina and the title chef.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Hound Dog

Sep 22, 2010, 6:15 PM

Post #57 of 72 (5788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
What am I missing here. Dawg is totallly impressed by Eric´s contribution to cuisine in general but something escapes me. Is Eric´s eclectic menu the prize upon which dwells the "Best Mexican Food at Lakeside" or am I missing something here? Is Eric, as I hope, a chef of significant regard preparing continental cuisine well despite his youth or is he representative of those who worship at the alter of the tradition of corn produced rustically while orgasmically worshipping "corn pudding" prepared by modern methods using modified produce.

There is exquisite hypocrisy at work here. I say, love me love my dog.

In 68 years on the planet I have never seen such worms in my earth.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 22, 2010, 6:16 PM)

tashby

Sep 22, 2010, 6:26 PM

Post #58 of 72 (5782 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

What am I missing here.

His food.

Why don't you go eat there and quit barking? Or, at least, bark differently.

It's a thought.

chinagringo

Sep 22, 2010, 6:27 PM

Post #59 of 72 (5780 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Time for the Dawg to head south?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Bennie García

Sep 22, 2010, 7:00 PM

Post #60 of 72 (5770 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes he must truly be amazing to have achieved so much in so few years. A 4 year college degree and also having worked with world class chefs by the age 21 is something to be proud of.

DavidHF

Sep 22, 2010, 7:22 PM

Post #61 of 72 (5757 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The only think you're missing is the experience of enjoying his cooking. I wouldn't say it's the "best Mexican food Lakeside" since not all of his dishes show a Mexican influence. e.g. his lamb shanks are distinctly Mediterranean. Never the less, the young man can cook! Get it while you can.

Gringal

Sep 22, 2010, 7:56 PM

Post #62 of 72 (5749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Ya really think this kind of food should be under a "Mexican food" thread? Sounds like not. I'm all in favor of better food, but this is not Mexican cuisine, si?

There is an exquisite irony that the best chef lakeside would be at this kind of location. What's happening over there at #4? LOL.

Peter

Sep 22, 2010, 9:09 PM

Post #63 of 72 (5740 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
       Also, I certainly can't/won't speak for esperanza, but part of what may fuel the extraordinary praise is the complete incongruity of the experience. It really is surprising to find food of this caliber anywhere in the Lake Chapala area, much less at a Driving Range snack bar where they fling burgers and other grub food when Eric isn't cooking.

That level of praise is worthy of a star, but it is apparent we are not using the Michelin restaurant star rating system where the majority of recommended restaurants have no star at all. As this restaurant, on certain given nights, has a number of recommendations it seems this driving range snackbar fully earns its first Star by virtue of being "a very good restaurant in its category." Hearing a number of people praising it and suggest to the Lakeside locals it has "excellent cooking, worth taking a detour" out of their normal habits to visit this restaurant makes it worthy of Two Stars.

However, as I am the first in this part of the thread to "snark" the original glowing review, and that most of the others commenting here know I am only an occasional visitor to Lakeside and indulge myself of the local offerings when I visit only the Dawg has suggested we get together and partake of this amazing chef's fare, and as he has not indicated a personal knowledge and experience of having sampled of this chef's talents but merely the curiosity to give it a try with no one else suggesting it is "exceptional cuisine, worth making a special journey" on my part, it thus far falls short of an actual Three Star rating which it may well deserve.

No one who wishes to promote this chef should feel any disservice has been done, to the contrary, much lip service has already been given and even the most discriminative of critics among those visiting these pages have stated their resolve to give it a go and invite their friends to do the same. There is certainly nothing wrong with legitimately earning Two Stars for a young chef. After myself or others from out of the area have made the trip and give our endorsements he should feel he truly has earned Three Stars, a remarkable achievement.

I never meant the discredit Eric or deny him his due, I just stated in a roundabout fashion I am a tad skeptical of this self-proclaimed food expert's flowery endorsement based on my previous experience with their other such endorsements. Others earlier in this thread have as well stated they may have spoken hastily in bestowing their accolades on said critic.

I am not alone in finding some incongruities in the review. Other has commented to the effect that the statement "these are preparations based on purely traditional Mexican food" may not be entirely accurate, but perhaps we should allow for that slight innaccuracy. I am left still wondering what "a flan-like creme brulee" might be, and how to know which end of it is up since flan is in effect an upside-down creme brulée. Isn't a creme brulée essentially a dessert custard that is topped with a brittle layer of carmelized sugar, and flan a dessert custard that is made over the top of a layer of carmelized sugar?

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 22, 2010, 10:20 PM)

esperanza

Sep 22, 2010, 9:25 PM

Post #64 of 72 (5733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
I have eaten at Hole-in-One only once. Eric gave me two of his menus to bring home with me. Many--not all, but many--of the dishes he offered on those menus are indeed Mexican food, and most have predominately Mexican ingredients. Eric does not prepare 'fusion' food; we had a long talk about that, and it's something that he does not like or choose to create. He DOES include foods with origins other than Mexico on his menu, and he combines ingredients in unusual ways to create what is known in modern Mexican cuisine as cocina del autor: i.e., his own creations.

Cocina del autor is normally alta cocina mexicana, what might be more readily recognizable if compared with the familiar French haute cuisine. Alta cocina mexicana is to traditional regional Mexican cooking as haute cuisine francaise is to French provincial cooking.

I suspect that alta cocina mexicana is pretty much unrecognizable at Lake Chapala because up until now, few people living there have experienced it.

One very small example: one of the desserts that Eric offered on his menu this past Monday was called "Duo of Hole in One Granita". The two sherbets, beautifully presented in separate small glasses, had absolutely Mexican ingredients: one was made of tuna morada (purple nopal cactus fruit) and the other was made of guanábana (soursop). Eric took 100% Mexican ingredients and turned them into something magical, something far above standard kitchen fare.

Peter

Sep 22, 2010, 10:47 PM

Post #65 of 72 (5718 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What modern food preparation is NOT "fusion food" in some manner or another? I believe you would find very few or that it would be entirely a matter of when and where you draw those boundaries.

I would assume there could be a good argument that a given creation or re-creation is not a deliberate fusion but I am wondering what would be the point in that except to make a claim of authenticity, though I'm guessing that would more often be somewhat self-deluding or disingenuous if not done as an anthropological exercise.

Why would a talented chef impose such limitations on creativity?

Bennie García

Sep 23, 2010, 5:58 AM

Post #66 of 72 (5701 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
cocina del autor

I believe that should be cocina de autor but that would be a discussion for the Learning Spanish forum.

Thank you for the name of the school. In our search we turned up several schools in Guadalajara. Would you happen to know which has the most prestige or best reputation?

esperanza

Sep 23, 2010, 6:17 AM

Post #67 of 72 (5690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Best Mexican Food at Lakeside?

| Private Reply
Bennie, as soon as I posted cocina del autor I realized my error--I was just too huevona to go back and edit the post. Thanks for noticing.

I'm sorry, I don't know which of the Guadalajara cooking schools has the best reputation. I do believe that it's important that the program lead to licenciatura; I think that gives the student a lot more credibility than a non-degree program.

If you're considering other cities for cooking schools, Morelia's Colegio Culinario has a highly rated and excellent program. http://www.colegioculinario.edu.mx/

Hound Dog

Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM

Post #68 of 72 (5625 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have eaten at Hole-in-One only once. Eric gave me two of his menus to bring home with me. Many--not all, but many--of the dishes he offered on those menus are indeed Mexican food, and most have predominately Mexican ingredients.

Ordinarily I would ignore this error but, as we are engaging in profound profundity on this thread, I must remind posters that, if Mexican food ingredients predominate on a menu containing non-Mexican ingredients as well, the ingredients overall are "predominantly Mexican", not "predominately Mexican".

As I have posted countless comments and made many mistakes, I dislike correcting others as to spelling but this predominant, predominate thingy is fundamental to the language. Get it right or refrain from using it.

That having been said, I regret that the discussions of Eric´s food have been couched in a discourse largely intended to display the intellectual superiority of the various posters in relation to each other rather than to extoll the virtues of his cooking skills. If Eric can make it in this cesspoool of vanity, he will go far indeed once he finds a proper venue for his art.

I personally look forward to trying that true Mexican rack of lamb followed by authentic tuna based granita.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on Sep 23, 2010, 2:17 PM)

RickS

Sep 23, 2010, 3:15 PM

Post #69 of 72 (5609 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
....have been couched in a discourse largely intended to display the intellectual superiority of the various posters in relation to each other....

If that is not the best example I've ever seen of 'the pot calling the kettle black' then it must come in a close second.

I'm just saying. 8>)

jengland

Sep 23, 2010, 4:08 PM

Post #70 of 72 (5588 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I just have to say that the posts on this thread are extremely entertaining. I hope the information is worthwhile. (I sure hope I didn't misspell anything! I did a spellcheck to make sure, and "spellcheck" was underlined in red. Oh well.)

tashby

Sep 23, 2010, 6:43 PM

Post #71 of 72 (5565 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you for your valuable contributions to this thread about food you have never eaten.

esperanza

Sep 23, 2010, 8:39 PM

Post #72 of 72 (5546 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sheesh, it's time to call it quits with this thread.

If y'all want to open it up again somewhere else, be my guest.

<click>

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4