Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Rolly

Sep 23, 2010, 8:29 AM

Post #1 of 14 (4382 views)

Shortcut

12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is a thought-provoking article discussing what the author sees as myths about the drug wars.

Part 1 The first 6 myths.

Part 2 will appear tomorrow (Friday)

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 24, 2010, 5:55 AM)

Altahabana

Sep 23, 2010, 1:32 PM

Post #2 of 14 (4318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 1

This is an excellent example of the high quality, analytic writing being done now on the Mexican narco insurgency. Several of the myths the author debunks are voiced often on ex-pat and Mexican travel message boards. The article was written in January but you can see many of the things happening in Tamaulipas since the military began its offensive against the cartels in February/March of this year that he forecast in the article.

Rolly

Sep 24, 2010, 5:54 AM

Post #3 of 14 (4221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

Part 2

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Sep 25, 2010, 8:43 AM)

donemry

Sep 24, 2010, 8:15 AM

Post #4 of 14 (4182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 1

I will agree with Atahabana on his assessment. I am curious as to how the dissenters will structure their arguments.

Peter

Sep 24, 2010, 9:31 AM

Post #5 of 14 (4162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 1

As the article suggests, #10 is a conditional myth in that it presently is not a workable solution for Mexico or other supplier countries. When it becomes a consideration for the US and Europe then that becomes perhaps the only viable and workable solution for the long run. Until then we have to tolerate the violence, invasions of privacies, and all the accompanying crappola. Tolerate the crime, corruption, government and military actions and bloodshed until the rest of the world comes to its senses? What else? Every effort now is just damage control. Support the war until they get tired of fighting.

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 24, 2010, 9:34 AM)

Peter

Sep 26, 2010, 11:10 AM

Post #6 of 14 (3997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

Part 2 seems to have deflated some of the accolades given the earlier part of this essay and its apparent support for the WoD and government actions taken thus far. Am I reading all this correctly, that the WoD is good and necessary but merely as damage control until the US and Europe change their policies on the matter?

Does the US and Europe really hope to secure a drug-free society by maintaining the War on Drugs status quo? That would appear an unrealistic goal as 40 years of battle has evidently not achieved any great strides toward that end; suggesting the reverse is not even an argument. That is not to say no one has gained by the war on Drugs, but who? Anyone suggesting there could be nothing sinister afoot by those who support the War I believe must be blinded by their own tinfoil veil.

Altahabana

Sep 26, 2010, 12:11 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

The war the author is discussing is against THE CARTELS, not drugs. The growth and expansion of the cartels which has culminated in the violence is only marginally related, if even that, to marijuana which I sense is the dog you have in the "WoD" and "legalization" fight.

careyeroslib

Sep 26, 2010, 1:21 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels.

I agree with Altahabana too. I've printed the article out in Spanish and will analyze it further. I hesitate to be mean, but so many posters on ex-pat forums are quite simply anarchists. They don't believe it's possible that good, non-corrupt governments can possibly exist anywhere, anytime. I applaud the courage of all those fighting the cartels, and no, I am not a right-wing mouthpiece of a capitalist society. But I believe Mexico can, and must, continue to fight the cartels.

Peter

Sep 26, 2010, 2:02 PM

Post #9 of 14 (3955 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

The title and thrust of his argument is the fight against the cartels. The larger scene and what funds the cartels is the War on Drugs - I didn't get the idea he was discussing pirate DVD cartels. At least myth #10 is contingent upon what US and Europe set as policy in the WoD, though the effect on almost everything else would follow.

My interest is in the larger picture of the Drug War, its institutions, policies, and who and what has grown exponentially from it. All of that I have watched grow over the last several decades. I have been interested watching the reticence to change failed policy and what it would take now to fix it, though I am not entirely certain that policy has failed its backers which could account for the apparent the reticence.

Tin foil hat alert: I believe there is someting sinister going on that nobody wants to admit and it could have enormous global consequences. I believe it is short-sighted to think this is all just about a few kingpins profiteering from the illicit drug trade.

You are correct that my own personal pooch for nearly half a century has been mj, but it has never been raised as a fighter.

I don't get the idea you are actually suggesting growth and expansion of the cartels is only marginally related, if that, to the drug trade. That suggestion, however, does seem to be contained in your response.

Altahabana

Sep 26, 2010, 3:17 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Peter] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

"I don't get the idea you are actually suggesting growth and expansion of the cartels is only marginally related, if that, to the drug trade"

What I am saying is that the growth and expansion of the cartels is primarily related to changes in the patterns of distribution for Columbian cocaine in the 90's when the Mexican cartels became wholesalers rather than strictly transporters and their profits soared. More recently the development of methamphetamine production capability by some Mexican cartels, notably the Sinaloa group and La Familia, has sparked splintering and infighting. The slaughter and atrocities are not being committed over smuggling routes for marijuana.

cookj5

Sep 26, 2010, 6:45 PM

Post #11 of 14 (3912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels. -- Part 2

In Reply To
"I don't get the idea you are actually suggesting growth and expansion of the cartels is only marginally related, if that, to the drug trade"

What I am saying is that the growth and expansion of the cartels is primarily related to changes in the patterns of distribution for Columbian cocaine in the 90's when the Mexican cartels became wholesalers rather than strictly transporters and their profits soared. More recently the development of methamphetamine production capability by some Mexican cartels, notably the Sinaloa group and La Familia, has sparked splintering and infighting. The slaughter and atrocities are not being committed over smuggling routes for marijuana.

While cocaine, meth and other drugs play a role in the Mexican drug cartels profit picture, as much as 60% of their profits come from marijuana. This article in the Washington Post indicates that the biggest threat to the cartels is the growth of small marijuana entrepreneurs in California as legalization moves toward a reality in that state. And as California goes, so often goes the rest of the US.

Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/...AR2009100603847.html

Sorry, I don't know how to make it an active link.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 26, 2010, 7:02 PM)

Peter

Sep 26, 2010, 10:44 PM

Post #12 of 14 (3867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels.

I hesitate to be mean, but so many posters on ex-pat forums are quite simply anarchists.

I know a good number of people who prefer no law to exist in place of incredibly idiotic laws. I have seen very few things come even close to the marijuana prohibition laws that do more to foster a more complete lack of respect for the law and its institutions.

It becomes very obvious a double-standard is in effect that permits sales of alcohol and tobacco products while keeping, what is viewed by anyone with actual experience with these drugs, a safer alternative from becoming a competitive threat. The liquor industry continues a concerted effort to maintain its status as The Legal Recreational Drug.

They don't believe it's possible that good, non-corrupt governments can possibly exist anywhere, anytime.

I am an incurable optimist that believes that can happen. Unfortunately I have not seen that happen or at least not be able to exist for long before it becomes corrupt. As long as politicians need to spend vast sums of money in order to be elected or re-elected there will be vested interests and their lobbies that will fund these politicians' campaigns with the expectation that their interests will continue to be attended to.

Others who either have or represent these interests will seek election to these offices - this is addressed in one of the 12 Myths in this article. I would suggest the Mexican-made film La Ley de Herodes while being fictional has more than a ring of truth to it and is not just an amusing anecdote.

I applaud the courage of all those fighting the cartels, and no, I am not a right-wing mouthpiece of a capitalist society. But I believe Mexico can, and must, continue to fight the cartels.

I agree, they have become powerful and a threat to legitimate government. I would also suggest the War on Drugs is what feeds these cartels and has made them what they are; it does little to fight them other than putting on a show to demonstrate efforts are being made. California and other states' de facto legalization of marijuana is doing more to weaken them and remove a large part of their profit source. These cartels are a monster that have been fed and nurtured for decades. They will be hard to kill.

(This post was edited by Peter on Sep 26, 2010, 11:39 PM)

cbviajero

Sep 27, 2010, 11:27 AM

Post #13 of 14 (3805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels.

I've been following this forum for sometime and have'nt noticed any anarchist postings,non comformist or free thinking maybe,but whats wrong with that?On the other hand I was recently accused on this forum of supporting the cartels thru my purchases of pirated dvds,having given the matter some thought I realized that my family has supported cartels for generations,my grandfather drank beer in Chicago during prohibition thereby supporting the Al Capone cartel,my mom,God bless her was something of a hypochondriac supporting the pharmaceutical cartel,talk about a Ruthess cartel,she was also a major west coast distributor for the Tupperware cartel,I guess there will always be cartels,the trick will be to get them to tone down their violence.Later today I will probably be supporting the Tequila cartel that operates out of Jalisco.

Rolly

Sep 27, 2010, 11:31 AM

Post #14 of 14 (3802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] 12 Myths of the War Against the Drug Cartels.

Thanks for the chuckle. I'm all in favor of the laugh cartel.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4