Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Bill Gibson

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 4 (8680 views)

Shortcut

"One final thought on tomatillos"

Can't Post |

"Tomatillos" are one of those "Muy Mexicano" ingredients that add mysterious and rustic flavor to "La Cocina Mexicana"!

Here's a recipe for "Raw Tomatillo Salsa", very tasty!!

Salsa Cruda de Tomatillo

This Salsa has a very fresh taste and goes well with "Carnitas" or pork dishes.

8 medium Tomatillos
1 Chile Jalapeño (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons honey
juice of one lime (Limón)
1/2 large red onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoons salt
Husk Tomatillos, remove stem attachment point, and coarsely chop. Cut lime into quarters and squeeze juice into Tomatillos. Place all ingredients into food processor and process for 30 seconds. Let stand for 1 hour. Serve with pork dishes.

"Saludo y Buen Provecho"

Bill gibson
Crestline, CA

Bob Clark

Post #2 of 4 (8678 views)

Shortcut

"One final thought on tomatillos"

Can't Post |

Hello Bill,
Just found this great board. Me gusta comida de Mexicana!
A note on tomatillos - Years ago I learned from a Mexican friend in Nayarit that tomatillos have a "funny" flavor if you don't wash off the sticky stuff on the skin before cooking. I pull the skins and stems off, and throw them in a pan of water, add a little dish soap and wash them off, then rinse good.

I boil about 8-10 tomatillos in enough water to cover them until they start bursting, throw them in a blender with half a bulb of garlic, a couple cerano peppers, three jalapeños, and a couple of toasted chopped up California chiles.

Easy and great on chicken tacos/enchiladas.

Bill Gibson

Post #3 of 4 (8675 views)

Shortcut

¿le gustan la salsa de tomatillos y chipotle?

Can't Post |

Bob,
Try adding a Chile chipotle to the recipe you posted! Adds good rustic and smoky flavor!!
Anyway, here's a recipe I use. Gets really addicting!!

Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa:
The Chiles Chipotles really add exotic flavor to this Salsa. It becomes addicting with fried corn Tortilla chips. I save my jars and make lots of this Salsa for my friends. It always gets good reviews.
3 cups Tomatillos, husked and boiled in water
2 teaspoon salt or to taste
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 or 2 Chiles Chipotles **
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 cup water
4 cupped handfuls chopped fresh Cilantro ,
Place all ingredients in food processor. Pulse as quickly as possible so ingredients will retain a course chunky texture. Season with salt.
Feel free to make adjustments with ingredients for your tastes.
**Chiles Chipotles are available canned in most markets. Appearing dried in little packages also!!
Found very commonly in Latino markets. Chiles Chipotles are canned in a red to dark brown sauce, or Adobo .
Use two Chile Chipotles in the recipe. If you like it hotter, add more.

"Buen Provecho"
"Saludos"

Bill Gibson
Crestline, CA

Bob Clark

Post #4 of 4 (8674 views)

Shortcut

¿le gustan la salsa de tomatillos y chipotle?

Can't Post |

You've got a great idea - I will do that when this last batch is eaten and let you know.
Thanks!
Oh, I forgot - drizzling that sauce into the empanadas we had today made them taste like something out of a fantasy.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4