Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

La Isla

Sep 20, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #1 of 6 (11977 views)

Shortcut

Nursing Home in Mexico City

Can't Post | Private Reply
An American friend who has lived in Mexico City for many years recently brought his octogenarian mother to live with him. For the moment, things are working out fairly well, but eventually she may need to move to some sort of "facility". Information about a pleasant, not too expensive place located somewhat centrally in the D.F. would be appreciated. The lady in question does not speak Spanish, so the facility would have to have at least some English-speaking staff.

Thanks for your help!

gpkgto

Sep 21, 2010, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 6 (11941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Nursing Home in Mexico City

Has he considered getting someone to come to the house? Here in the state of Guanajuato, you can hire a nurse (not just a nurse's aide) for about 500 pesos for an 8 hour shift.

La Isla

Sep 21, 2010, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (11915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkgto] Nursing Home in Mexico City

My friend's mother doesn't need a nurse at this time. She's basically in pretty good health for her age. He has a woman companion/cook, etc. come to the house every day to stay with her while he's at work. I guess they're thinking about what to do in the future if her health deteriorates to the point where she'll need more care than she can get living with her son.

gpkgto

Sep 21, 2010, 2:54 PM

Post #4 of 6 (11884 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Nursing Home in Mexico City

My point was that in Mexico home care is still feasible--because of the much lower cost of nursing.

La Isla

Sep 21, 2010, 3:03 PM

Post #5 of 6 (11881 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My point was that in Mexico home care is still feasible--because of the much lower cost of nursing.[/reply

That's a good point and my friend understands that, but he asked me to find out about nursing homes anyway.

jerezano

Sep 22, 2010, 8:50 AM

Post #6 of 6 (11837 views)

Shortcut

Hello gpkgto,

Try a google search for assisted living +Mexico. There is at least one specialized area there in Mexico City devoted to that particular subject. I looked at it one time. Necessary to purchase a condominium, etc. Very expensive. If your friend is interested in Lake Chapala, he can find inexpensive assisted care facilities there, as well as other locations in Mexico. I made a search sometime ago but did not find many such facilities.

Good luck.

Hasta luego, jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 22, 2010, 8:51 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4