Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jb

Sep 20, 2010, 9:24 AM

Post #1 of 18 (9890 views)

Shortcut

Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

Can't Post | Private Reply
 I need to go to Texas in Mid October 2010 and not sure what the road conditions are from Chetumal Mx. to Veracruz or Veracruz to Tampico, I have made the same trip in the past but not sure of the quota and road conditions are after the storm went through.. I see flooding and damage, but nothing about washed out roads or highways' ......... I have to drive !! I normally take all the quotas I can................. thanks jb

mlfoto

Sep 22, 2010, 8:17 AM

Post #2 of 18 (9793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jb] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

We are crossing border at Laredo on Sunday and driving to Cozumel via Chetumal. We'll report on conditions by Oct. 2

Michael

In Reply To

jb

Sep 22, 2010, 8:31 AM

Post #3 of 18 (9785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mlfoto] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

thanks .... updates on the road conditions would be appreciated jb.

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 27, 2010, 12:27 PM

Post #4 of 18 (9630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jb] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

27 Oct 2pm
Toll road near Acayucan is flooded and closed. Free road 180 passing through Catemaco is still open.
The next few days look grim, with another potential hurricane on the horizon

Correction: Free road now closed, too

(This post was edited by catemaco on Sep 27, 2010, 12:42 PM)

chicois8

Sep 27, 2010, 6:32 PM

Post #5 of 18 (9585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [catemaco] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

thank you for the update catemaco, it could be very wet for mlfoto driving to Cozumel.....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 27, 2010, 6:34 PM)

Sunnyvmx

Sep 28, 2010, 2:51 PM

Post #6 of 18 (9521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

Appreciate the road condition updates about the flooding. My boyfriend was supposed to leave tomorrow for Houston from Catemaco and we heard the traffic on 180 was at a standstill in both directions. Looks like we'll be spending a few more days together. Please keep the news on this coming.

dongringo_catemaco

Sep 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

Post #7 of 18 (9429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

1 pm, Sep. 30 -
Highway Veracruz - Catemaco closed at Lerdo because of flooding.
Highway Catemaco - Acayucan still closed near Covarrubias because of bridge collapse.
Toll Road - Veracruz - Acayucan still closed because of flooding, etc.
Visit Catemaco News

chicois8

Oct 1, 2010, 8:45 PM

Post #8 of 18 (9352 views)

Shortcut

SCT is the Mexican Dept.of Transportation, their website has a page that shows problems like flooding, landslides, downed bridges or any closed road or problem...It only shows states where there are problems....

http://dgcc.sct.gob.mx/index.php?id=807
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Sunnyvmx

Oct 2, 2010, 12:43 AM

Post #9 of 18 (9332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

So, my boyfriend is stranded here in Catemaco. Could be worse. The road south to Acayucan has several washouts and a bridge collapse. They think they might have detours in place (I can only imagine) by mid next week. One detour will be down to the river bottom and across to the other side while the bridge is rebuilt.

Going north on 180 is impossible due to the spillway or dam collapse, I believe in Lerdo, in the area of Alvarado that now allows the road to be covered by 2 meters of water. Before the dam came down they were allowing buses and large trucks to cross one at a time until a school bus was swept away and then the road was closed again. The highway authorities think the road may become passable by mid next week also, but tell him he may be better off trying the route to Acayucan at that time.

dongringo_catemaco

Oct 5, 2010, 5:40 AM

Post #10 of 18 (9210 views)

Shortcut

Mex 180 is open to all vehicles from The US border to Cancun, Yucatan .
Use extreme caution on the stretch of Veracruz City - Catemaco - Acayucan.
Visit Catemaco News

playaboy

Oct 6, 2010, 3:53 AM

Post #11 of 18 (9127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

I left at 6:30 am yesterday and after 1 flat tire it is now 11pm and I am within 5 miles of Catameco. That is where I wanted to be tonight. At 11pm the road was shut down. I am parked on the side of the road with a thousand other truckers waiting for morning light. Good thing I only have 5 miles to go. I will stay in Catameco for a couple of days and hope they get another lane fixed between Catameco and Acuyacum. I guess it took over 15 hours to go about 100 miles.

There is water on the road 180 in areas. I saw about 6 trucks on their side off the road. They probably were driving on the road with water on it and just drove off the side.

There is water for as far as you can see along 180. Rivers are flooding homes and roads, bridges are washed out. I get a lot of conflicting info but from what I have heard 145D has about 30-40 Kilometers under water. They have no idea yet what shape the bridges are in. One Federalas told me that it could be over a month before they could open and that is with no major damage

dongringo_catemaco

Oct 6, 2010, 6:32 AM

Post #12 of 18 (9120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

Playboy - Welcome to Catemaco and enjoy your stay for a few days.
As of right now, the Catemaco -Acayucan road is closed again, and the highway around San Andrés is a parking lot of monstrous tandem trailer trucks.

The federal road department is pretty good at slapping up temporary bypasses, so I expect the mess to clear in a day or two.

Meanwhile I suggest to any tourist wanting to cross Veracruz and Los Tuxtlas, to wait a week, or head for the highlands and the west coast instead.
Visit Catemaco News

(This post was edited by dongringo_catemaco on Oct 9, 2010, 5:07 AM)

playaboy

Oct 6, 2010, 6:45 AM

Post #13 of 18 (9117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dongringo_catemaco] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

I am not here yet. I am stuck in that mess now. Normally I would be 10 minutes away. I don't know how long it will take me to go 10 miles :-) Maybe 3 hours.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Oct 6, 2010, 6:50 AM)

playaboy

Oct 6, 2010, 3:28 PM

Post #14 of 18 (9072 views)

Shortcut

I finally made it. The last 8 miles or so took 6 hours. The only reason I was able to do that was because I got behind a dump truck and followed it up the wrong side of the street. I am in Catemaco and will stay here until the road is open again and the 30 Km mile long line of trucks clears out. All in all I was on the road for 21 hours from Veracruz to here (not including sleeping).

I just love adventures

mlfoto

Oct 8, 2010, 3:26 PM

Post #15 of 18 (8986 views)

Shortcut

We were delayed a few days because of road closures. After checking the CAPUFE site for a few days and speaking with a Capufe official at the Paso de Toros booth, we decided to make the grand detour through La Tinaja, Tierra Blanca, Tuxtepec, Palomares, then south toward Juchitan, east to Tuxtla and two nights of rest in San Cristóbal. The first part from Tuxtepec to Palomares was very slow (90 miles/ 5 hours) due to heavy traffic and couple spots where one lane was washed out. A fairly easy drive to Palenque from SC, although there were a few spots where the a lane was closed. All in all, the locals have done a great job of cleaning up the slides. Check the CAPUFE site online, hearing about the huge amount of water flowing from the mountains and seeing the hundreds of trucks sitting a La Tinaja waiting for the roads to open, convinced us we did the right thing. Pulled into Cozumel Sunday night, after crossing the border the previous Sunday.

Here is the link for road conditions on the cuotas:

http://www.capufe.gob.mx/...7015a034bd7316d8a0c/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 8, 2010, 4:13 PM)

playaboy

Oct 8, 2010, 4:05 PM

Post #16 of 18 (8981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mlfoto] Chetumal Mx to texas road conditions

I have been in Catemaco enjoying myself for the last couple of days waiting for the road to Acayucan to open. Catemaco is a very nice place with some nice people here.

Today the road opened. I will leave at first light tomorrow.

Thanks for your info.

playaboy

Oct 9, 2010, 5:19 PM

Post #17 of 18 (8911 views)

Shortcut

I left at 7:30am. It took me 5 hours to go 32 miles and cross the washed out part in the road. It would have taken longer if I stayed in line. I learned coming to Catemaco that it pays to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Once I got past that it took another hour to Acayucan and the cuota. That was a mess. With the only 2 ways to go east merging there, there is only 1 toll booth that everybody had to go through. You had 3 lanes merging to one and nobody was giving anybody an inch.

Once I got on the cuota it was ok. There was a semi that went into the median and the tow trucks were there to pull it out. That stop me for another 45 minutes.

I saw water everywhere on both sides of the highway. Parts of Villahermosa are still flooded.

I made it to Villahermosa at 6pm. I usually stay at the swim center but the road to it was flooded. So it is Pemex for the night.

Right now there are only 2 ways to drive east from Veracruz and they both are in very bad shape. Traffic is still very bad with long line of trucks. Where 145D ends at Coatzocolo and hooks up to 180D ( a usually bad stretch) it is one 10 mile long pothole. At the Veracruz-Tabasco border there is road construction and terrible road surface for miles and miles.

Even though the internet says the roads are open, some of those places are not roads. I drove through a river bottom in one place and on top of an earthen dam in another. It is going to take a long time to fix things.

One more long day and I should be home.

playaboy

Oct 11, 2010, 4:53 AM

Post #18 of 18 (8837 views)

Shortcut

drove from Villahermosa to Playa del Carmen yesterday. The roads were in very good shape.

I did see a lot more water in the rest of Tabasco, Chiapas, and Campeche. Homes and farm pastures still flooded. It is going to take a very long time for people to recover.

If you are driving in this direction in the next week or so, stock up on food and water, be prepared for lots of traffic and have lot of patience.

If you can bring anything to help people (clothes and MONEY), please do so.

Good Luck and be Safe

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4