Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Alicia

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4023 views)

Shortcut

teaching french and english in mexico

Can't Post |
hi! i've posted a few times earlier this month in regards to teaching in mexico. my husband and i are planning on moving down from canada in january. his mom has been teaching in pv since august. i am a young bilingual canadian with one year of university under my belt. i don't speak spanish, don't have teaching accreditation, but am very enthusiastic and have experience teaching french as a second language to kindergarten students.
are there many jobs available for non-accredited teachers in mexico?(specifically west-coastal mexico... i'm looking at pv, because that's where my husband's parents are located, but i'm very flexible!)
thanks a lot.<p>-alicia

Susan

Post #2 of 6 (4008 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
There is a French school in Hermosillo, Sonora. They also run summer camps to Canada. In Guaymas, Sonora. Colegio Naverette Tec de Monterrey always needs good English teachers. Native English speakers I mean. You would need to be sponsored through a company to teach in Mexico. There is also a great demand for French for children in this area. Do not worry about not speaking Spanish right away. The kids will teach you. Good luck.
Keep in mind that the pay scale is low but no special certification is needed.

gpk

Post #3 of 6 (4004 views)

Shortcut

Small children will need Spanish speakers as teachers.

Can't Post |
This is also true of basic beginners in any foreign language, but with small children you will have to be able to communicate in their own language. Also, you won't make much money--but maybe you knew that. Probably US$5.00 per hour.

prairielady

Post #4 of 6 (4004 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi Alicia
I know for sure that some of the parents at my school were asking for French teaching this year, and no one on staff could accommodate them. I think if you teach in a preschool grade like k1 or k2, which would be pre-kindergarten in Canada, you wouldn't need a teaching certificate. Along with teaching the preschoolers, you could probably teach French classes to the primary kids in the school. It probably wouldn't be immersion as you're used to it, but would be more like an hour for 3 days of the week in each of the grades. It
could be a great in for you. Would anyone else reading this forum know more about this? Welcome to the forum Alicia.

Marlene

Post #5 of 6 (4007 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Alicia, you will likely have better luck teaching French than you will English. There seems to be a demand for French teachers these days....and German.....however, many, many Mexican teachers are teaching English especially in the transient resort areas. The schools are choosing them because they stick around and won't leave on the weekend. You may have really good luck with French at one of the colleges or even by advertising for privates. But be careful, you need an FM3 to accept money in Mexico.
Suerté,
Marlene.<p>
: hi! i've posted a few times earlier this month in regards to teaching in mexico. my husband and i are planning on moving down from canada in january. his mom has been teaching in pv since august. i am a young bilingual canadian with one year of university under my belt. i don't speak spanish, don't have teaching accreditation, but am very enthusiastic and have experience teaching french as a second language to kindergarten students.
: are there many jobs available for non-accredited teachers in mexico?(specifically west-coastal mexico... i'm looking at pv, because that's where my husband's parents are located, but i'm very flexible!)
: thanks a lot.<p>: -alicia <p>

Scott in Morelia

Post #6 of 6 (4006 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'm kind of surprised at the number of people who have basic french in Mexico. Well, I'm basing this on a group of people in a conversation club I used to go to. There were several who had studied french in school, though none of us were any good. And the school itself, they are thinking of starting a french program to try and pull more students in. There are already a zillion places to learn English here, but there could indeed be a small market in french too. I think I asked them at the school if they were going to teach Canadian French or European French, and they weren't quite sure. So I dunno, but yes there is probably a small market for french in some places. I'm very far from actually being informed on this subject, I'm just saying that at this particular school I used to go to there was a indeed some interest in French.<p>BTW, one of the most frequent questions I get as a Canadian is: Y también hablas francés??<p>Adios.<p><p>: Alicia, you will likely have better luck teaching French than you will English. There seems to be a demand for French teachers these days....and German.....however, many, many Mexican teachers are teaching English especially in the transient resort areas. The schools are choosing them because they stick around and won't leave on the weekend. You may have really good luck with French at one of the colleges or even by advertising for privates. But be careful, you need an FM3 to accept money in Mexico.
: Suerté,
: Marlene.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4